Mel Gibson - father of Timothy Dalton's son's sister

2»

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    actonsteve wrote:
    No. I don't really care about what goes on off screen. Obviously it's a factor.

I do care what goes on off screen.

Do you know why?

Because it influences what goes on on screen.

I have been Mel watching since 'The Year of Living Dangerously' and have taken note of his behaviour since then. His antisemitcisn, his homophobia, his anglophobia and his very right wing religious dogma which is even too conservative for the Catholic church. His rantings and abuse not just about his ex girlfriend on the tape but about gays and jews (you should read his Spanish magazine interview from 1998 about gays - its vile) and he was accused of anti-semitism with 'The Last Temptation of Christ'

The ,man is a mad bundle of prejudices. He managed to keep them under wraps with Hollywood for a long time but eventually they spilled out.

To be frank, if the man disappeared from the face of the earth. He may have talent but he is also a bigot in a number of areas. And these do show in his work.

Don't come back Mel.

While you make good points, the things you say aren't always true. Each case is different. I had originally decided not to watch anything Mel was in after the things I'd heard. But then someone made me watch Edge of Darkness and I forgot all those things. So no, I wouldn't agree that things off screen always affect things onscreen. If an actor is good, an actor is good. Simple.
    used to like gibson until he started giving tim dalton's ex a hard time plus his anti-semitic remarks
    Sometimes I wish we all knew way less about certain celebrities. Another example is Tom Cruise-- I remember back when Mission Impossible III came out, alot of people openly stated how they had no interest in seeing it just because of Tom-- I guess because this wasn't too long after the 'couch jumping' craziness....

Well I sure as hell still saw it opening day- and it was the best one yet (before Ghost Protocol came out that is)
    But it makes me sad how many people miss out on a great movie, based on who's in it!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

I was under the impression that Dalton was the tallest of the Bond actors.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,492
    [ I wouldn't agree that things off screen always affect things onscreen. If an actor is good, an actor is good. Simple.

If an actor/director or writer has certain beliefs off screen then those will bleed onto the screen by osmosis.

The Passion of the Christ was critcised by jewish groups for being anti-semitic. No correllation between his anti-semetic remarks and their portrayal on screen. Mels father, Hutton Gibson, is a notorious holocaust denier.

Gibson's father: Holocaust was mostly 'fiction'
    NEW YORK (AP) — Days before the release of Mel Gibson's film about the death of Jesus, which some critics say could fuel anti-Semitism, his father has told an interviewer that the Holocaust was mostly "fiction."

In the latest interview, Mel Gibson's father said Jews want to take over the world.
    By Corrado Giambalvo, AP
    Steve Feuerstein — host of Speak Your Piece!— said he interviewed Hutton Gibson for a segment of his show to be broadcast Monday by the small Talkline Communications Network.

According to a transcript released by the network, Hutton Gibson said, "It's all — maybe not all fiction — but most of it is," when asked about his views on the Holocaust.

He added: "They claimed that there were 6.2 million (Jews) in Poland before the war and after the war there were 200,000, therefore he (Hitler) must have killed 6 million of them. They simply got up and left. They were all over the Bronx and Brooklyn and Sydney and Los Angeles."

If people want to pay money to see this tosser - then that is their priority. As it is my prerogative to wish to man into outer space with limited oxygen. If you can forgive his nasty little prejudices because you find him entertaining then good for you.

But not all of us can do that, or should do...
    Getafix wrote:
    Once suggested by Sir Sean as a future Bond, Mel seems to have fallen from grace recently. I saw his latest film yesterday - How I Spent My Summer Vacation / Get the Gringo - and it's actually not a bad little movie. Any way, I was struck by what a natural screen star Mel is and left the cinema thinking what a shame it is that he will probably now struggle to get another film made or released. Obviously he's behaved pretty badly, but given that plenty of stars and producers seem to be prepared to line up to work with Polanski, does Mel actually deserve the treatment that he is receiving?

Im not seeing anything here a about Gibson being linked with Bond... so yeah...
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    1334850532_mel-gibson-article.jpg

Next Falco? ;)
    actonsteve wrote:
    [ I wouldn't agree that things off screen always affect things onscreen. If an actor is good, an actor is good. Simple.

If an actor/director or writer has certain beliefs off screen then those will bleed onto the screen by osmosis.

The Passion of the Christ was critcised by jewish groups for being anti-semitic. No correllation between his anti-semetic remarks and their portrayal on screen. Mels father, Hutton Gibson, is a notorious holocaust denier.

NEW YORK (AP) — Days before the release of Mel Gibson's film about the death of Jesus, which some critics say could fuel anti-Semitism, his father has told an interviewer that the Holocaust was mostly "fiction."

In the latest interview, Mel Gibson's father said Jews want to take over the world.
    By Corrado Giambalvo, AP
    Steve Feuerstein — host of Speak Your Piece!— said he interviewed Hutton Gibson for a segment of his show to be broadcast Monday by the small Talkline Communications Network.

According to a transcript released by the network, Hutton Gibson said, "It's all — maybe not all fiction — but most of it is," when asked about his views on the Holocaust.

He added: "They claimed that there were 6.2 million (Jews) in Poland before the war and after the war there were 200,000, therefore he (Hitler) must have killed 6 million of them. They simply got up and left. They were all over the Bronx and Brooklyn and Sydney and Los Angeles."

If people want to pay money to see this tosser - then that is their priority. As it is my prerogative to wish to man into outer space with limited oxygen. If you can forgive his nasty little prejudices because you find him entertaining then good for you.

Mel cant help what his father has said , and how come its accepted in todays mainstream society to put down Christianity, but if you make one itty bitty remark about Jews,gays,Muslims or blacks you're considered crazy? this culture we live in today is thrash, its totally politically correct.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Here's a pic of him from around 1995ish:

MG.jpg

He definitely would have been alright! Perhaps he was just too well known from his other movies and that killed him....
    MartinBond wrote:
    Mel cant help what his father has said , and how come its accepted in todays mainstream society to put down Christianity, but if you make one itty bitty remark about Jews,gays,Muslims or blacks you're considered crazy? this culture we live in today is thrash, its totally politically correct.

I'd say the denial of the murder of six million jews was more then a itty bitty remark wouldnt you?

yes it is outrageously absurd to deny the Holocaust, but were talking about mel, not what his father has said in the past lol.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    Once suggested by Sir Sean as a future Bond, Mel seems to have fallen from grace recently. I saw his latest film yesterday - How I Spent My Summer Vacation / Get the Gringo - and it's actually not a bad little movie. Any way, I was struck by what a natural screen star Mel is and left the cinema thinking what a shame it is that he will probably now struggle to get another film made or released. Obviously he's behaved pretty badly, but given that plenty of stars and producers seem to be prepared to line up to work with Polanski, does Mel actually deserve the treatment that he is receiving?

Im not seeing anything here a about Gibson being linked with Bond... so yeah...

I am.
    Gibson almost was Bond once upon a time!
    Getafix wrote:
    Once suggested by Sir Sean as a future Bond
    Been to Auschivitz.

Mel is an idiot.

Enough said!!
    Gibson as Bond is even slightly more plausible than the ridiculous Burt Reynolds as Bond rumour in the post-Connery era
    Gibson would have been a way better Bond than Reynolds-- although Burt as Felix? Now that would have been something! Especially in DAF where that Felix was really forgettable
    Mel did some excellent work in the past, in the recent years he has shown his colours and I think he is nuts, and not in a friendly way.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Mel Gibson is also the father of my neighbour-two-doors-down's stepson's third cousin-twice-removed's sugar daddy currently on a restraining order and living under the assumed name of 'Benjamin Tugbobo'.

True story...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Not as epic a story as SG's but I was once standing behind Mel Gibson in a Shell petrol station. He bought a Ginsters pasty and a copy of Crochet World.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited May 2012 Posts: 3,262
    Gibson would have been a way better Bond than Reynolds-- although Burt as Felix? Now that would have been something! Especially in DAF where that Felix was really forgettable

That's actually an intriguing idea. Connery and Reynolds should've made an action buddy movie together back in the 1970s or even the 1980s:

Sean-Connery-Burt-Reynolds-James-Bond.jpg

They could've played brothers.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Not as epic a story as SG's but I was once standing behind Mel Gibson in a Shell petrol station. He bought a Ginsters pasty and a copy of Crochet World.

Presumaby he's not a Tory voter then? ;)
    That's actually an intriguing idea. Connery and Reynolds should've made an action buddy movie together back in the 1970s or even the 1980s:

Sean-Connery-Burt-Reynolds-James-Bond.jpg

They could've played brothers.

Rent-A-Gramps?

Clicky

:p
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2012 Posts: 8,043
    actonsteve wrote:

By Corrado Giambalvo, AP

I'm actually talking about Mel the actor, not the director. I have seen The Passion of the Christ and did not like it. But Mel as an actor is a different story. He rarely has a hand in the scripts, so his own beliefs can not really bleed into his work. And is what his father says really relevant here? His father is one of the worst anti Semitics I've ever seen, Mel isn't fit to tie his shoes. He can't really be held responsible for that. He can be held responsible for his own remarks though, which are wrong, but despite them, The Passion of the Christ is the only film where they are clearly evident. There's loads of people out there with extreme views. I will say though, I'm unlikely to pay to see Mel in the cinema. But I still look at his better performances the same way I always did and I enjoy him as an actor. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    St_George wrote:

Presumaby he's not a Tory voter then? ;)

That station is still there, so it's possible. ;)
    actonsteve wrote:

By Corrado Giambalvo, AP

I think you get into a whole heap of trouble when you start refusing to watch/read/observe something because the actor/author/artist has views you disagree with. You potentially end up excluding a lot of things. Mahler was a raving anti-semite, but his music is widely listened to and enjoyed throughout the world (apart from in Israel). I obviously don't deny someone's right to not see something because they object to the views of the creator/performer, but I do think the issue is more complex than you suggest. I might not like the stance that Elia Kazan took during the Mccarthy communist witch hunts, but I still happily watch and enjoy On The Waterfront. Roald Dahl had some frankly questionable views on Jewish people - do you not read his books because of it? And if it boils down to behaviour, what about Polanski - surely his crime is far worse than anything Mel has done.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    actonsteve wrote:

By Corrado Giambalvo, AP

I think you get into a whole heap of trouble when you start refusing to watch/read/observe something because the actor/author/artist has views you disagree with. You potentially end up excluding a lot of things. Wagner was a raving anti-semite, but his music is widely listened to and enjoyed throughout the world (apart from in Israel). I obviously don't deny someone's right to not see something because they object to the views of the creator/performer, but I do think the issue is more complex than you suggest. I might not like the stance that Elia Kazan took during the Mccarthy communist witch hunts, but I still happily watch and enjoy On The Waterfront. Roald Dahl had some frankly questionable views on Jewish people - do you not read The Twits because of it? And if it comes down to behaviour, surely Polanski's crime is far worse than anything Mel has done. And when it boils down to it, aren't Fleming's books riddled with sexism and racism?