R.I.P. A Final Farewell To Members Of The James Bond Family

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The first primary Bond Girl to pass. Deeply saddening news. An icon.

Au revoir, Domino!
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 1,637
    Oh no :(

I wonder if she signed her fanmail the last few yrs , the signature was sloppy compared to when I wrote her ca. 2002 ? (then again maybe she was tired of a certain german dealer exploiting her like he exploited other Bond celebs , heard he offended Hama/Wakabayashi too with constant autograph requests)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Oh No!

The news is now filtering through to English language sites. If I not mistaken, Ms. Auger is the first “top-billed” Bond Girl to pass away.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7811859/Claudine-Auger-starred-opposite-Sean-Connerys-James-Bond-Thunderball-dies-78.html
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I only just watched TB this week, and now I learn of the passing of Claudine Auger.
    Very sad news indeed. She was a wonderful Domino and stunningly beautiful. As others have said, one of the best Bond girls.
    And, I believe the first of the lead Bond girls to pass. Not an accolade of course. But a very sad day.
    RIP Claudine Auger.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    RIP Claudine Auger, one of the most beautiful Bond girls ever.
    RIP. Beautiful woman.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 15,785
    I miss the way things were, say 5-10 years ago when so many more Bond family members were still with us: Sir Roger, Christopher Lee, Richard Kiel, Louis Jourdan, Claudine, Patrick Macnee, John Barry, countless others.

Time marches on, I suppose, but damn.

Feels to me like a personal member of the family when a Bond legend passes on.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I miss the way things were, say 5-10 years ago when so many more Bond family members were still with us: Sir Roger, Christopher Lee, Richard Kiel, Louis Jourdan, Claudine, Patrick Macnee, John Barry, countless others.

Well said. I think you speak for a lot of us.

Domino is my favorite Bond girl, by far the most attractive. This news puts a damper on the holidays, especially as I associate TB with the holiday season as that's when it was originally released.
  • Shocking, sad news. :( One of the best Bond girls for sure.
    My wife just informed me about Claudine Auger.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Oh dear Domino is my favourite Bond girl, very sad news. R.I.P. Claudine
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Very sad news she was one of the best Bond girls.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    My condolences to her family. Despite the age of the older Bond girls, still a shock.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP Claudine
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The first primary Bond Girl to pass. Deeply saddening news. An icon.

Au revoir, Domino!
    Isn’t that an amazing statistic? All our leading ladies have lived long lives, yet 78 seems young.
    Thunderball has arguably the most stunning collection of beautiful women in Bond history. Testament to Claudine that she still stood out.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Sad news this. Always been one of my favourites.
    Repose en paix, Claudine. :(
  • BibiBibi Washington
    Heard the news, simply heartbreaking.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    @ToTheRight I had written Claudine too! The letter actually got lost and was eventually found in my bushes after a long winter. They were a little warped, but there was Claudine's autograph on a couple pictures she included. Wonderfully nice of her to do so.

First main Bond girl to pass, RIP Claudine Auger.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Sad to hear of the passing of one of my favourite Bond girls, Claudine Auger. She was quite breathtaking in the role.
    That's amazing, @MooseWithFleas.
    Always thought it was cool she'd respond to fan letters. It made my day when I got her autograph in the mail.
  • RIP Claudine "What sharp little eyes you have". One of the most beautiful Bond girls. Very sad.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Just logged on, and seeing so many replies in this thread, my heart sank.

Domino is a top 3 Bond Girl, no doubt about it.

RIP
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    french tv report, december 1965 :

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Sad news, as a definite icon passes. One of the most beautiful women ver to grace the silver screen. And what a Bond-girl indeed. Rest in peace, and thank you for everything.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

I share your sentiment.

For me, its’ not just the loss of Ms. Augur that hurts, but this is a sad reminder that - as bad as the past few years have been in this regard - the next 5-10 years will be even worse. Based on their ages, in the next few years we’ll probably see “classic era” Bond alumni – those Infront of and behind the camera – pass away at an ever-increasing rate. And since, for me, the Bond actors of the 1960s/1970s have been like old friends for my entire life this gives me pause.

I wish there were a way to say “thank you” to every last one of them.
    RIP Claudine Auger. So sad to learn this, another huge loss to the franchise and ofcourse her family and friends.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Dwayne wrote: »

I share your sentiment.

For me, its’ not just the loss of Ms. Augur that hurts, but this is a sad reminder that - as bad as the past few years have been in this regard - the next 5-10 years will be even worse. Based on their ages, in the next few years we’ll probably see “classic era” Bond alumni – those Infront of and behind the camera – pass away at an ever-increasing rate. And since, for me, the Bond actors of the 1960s/1970s have been like old friends for my entire life this gives me pause.

I wish there were a way to say “thank you” to every last one of them.

Well said chaps! I too feel a sense of loss when we lose someone from the original family. I grew up with those films, whenever I watch one it serves a memory capsule of the time. They have become like old friends, you may not see them as much but there is some comfort to know they are sitting on the shelf waiting for you to return and watch them.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think you guys are looking at it the wrong way. It's only testament to the endurance of the product they helped create. I think we should be thankfull it lasted so long and although it's sad to lose these fantastic people, it's a celebration of theyr work that these films are still doing so well.
    RIP Domino. One of the best Bond girls of franchise. My favorite of the Connery girls.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited December 2019 Posts: 108
    R.I.P. Claudine Auger.

On a side note, The New York Times' obituary for Auger currently features a large image of Luciana Paluzzi whom the article misidentifies as Auger. I'm guessing the print edition has the same error.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/22/movies/claudine-auger-dead.html