The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Mathieu Amalric would make an outstanding Renfield.

I can definitely see that. Good suggestion.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Bond in his cardigan.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Damn Craig looks cool here.

Craig on the pane drowning his sorrows in martinis.

Classic Fleming esque scene.

I love Craig's 'look' in this film. I actually got one of those type of cardigans because of this film!

I love the scenes with Mathis and Bond. Especially on the plane.
    The climax is pretty good. The fight between Camille and Medrano is excellent.
    Bond leaves Greene in the desert to be killed by Quantum.

Meanwhile Waltz's Blofeld is stroking his cat knowing Bond won't get laid at the end of this adventure and laughing evilly.

Very Gala Brand as Camille walks off never to be heard from again.

I don't even connect this to SP when i'm watching it. It's insulting that the makers tried to have us believe they're connected.

The quality of dialogue in this is suprising considering the writers strike affected production at the time.

No writers strike for SP production and look what we ended up with....
    The climax is pretty good. The fight between Camille and Medrano is excellent.
    Bond leaves Greene in the desert to be killed by Quantum.

Meanwhile Waltz's Blofeld is stroking his cat knowing Bond won't get laid at the end of this adventure and laughing evilly.

Very Gala Brand as Camille walks off never to be heard from again.

I don't even connect this to SP when i'm watching it. It's insulting that the makers tried to have us believe they're connected.

The quality of dialogue in this is suprising considering the writers strike affected production at the time.

No writers strike for SP production and look what we ended up with....

It's a pretty bad attempt with SP trying to connect these films. I'd much rather QUANTUM be it's own self contained organization with no ties to Blofeld.

Watching the film this time, I felt that the 2 year period and writers strike didn't affect the quality at all. The dialogue is pretty good, and I always liked the plot involving the water.
    We're in the latter half of November and there hasn't been a new Bond film in years.
    We should be sitting in the cinema right now watching a new Bond film.
    Hmm.

Watching at least one Bond film per week is something of a must with me

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

Anyway, this one was a summer release, which I vividly remember.

Bond is enjoying Kara's tiny concert with very few audience members.

She's giving it her 110%. He seems to be appreciating her talent.

Kara gets busted and 007 steals her cello.

Pushkin is legendary. He should have become a regular, IMO.
    I'd love to have seen more of him than the Scooby Gang we have today.
    Dalton's black leather car coat is pretty bad a$$. He looks damn good in this outfit. Dashing and suave.

The Aston Martin chase is excellent. I was in the mood for a Bond film with a snow sequence, since where I live we have some on the ground now,

I should drive my car on the frozen lake sometime.
    Kara wears her jacket sleeves rolled up in true 1987 style. I remember people doing that back then. I'm glad Bond resisted that trend.

I love the snowy mountain scenery in this sequence.

As Bond and Kara are sliding down the hill it looks like Dalton nicked Maryam in the head with that cello. I do hope it was a light weight prop rather than a real cello.
    Joe Don Baker is great. He pounds Scorpio Killer Andy Robinson in CHARLEY VARRICK.

I far prefer him as Whitaker to Jack Wade, which I consider the Sherrif J.W. Pepper of the Brosnan era.
    Bond and Kara arrive in Vienna. I need to get a copy of THE THIRD MAN.

Excellent film, which I've seen in the cinema twice.

I used to think Koskov was the series' weakest main villain, but now I think he's fantastic. Completely weaselly and manipulative. Had this film been done in the 1940's Peter Lorre might have played this part. Krabbe's performance here reminds me a bit of a young Lorre.

New York is mentioned a few times in this film, and funny enough the week after this came out I took a trip to The Big Apple. One of the best weeks in my life.
    Bond and Kara at the carnival setting.

This is the kind of date Wally Cleaver would probably go on in a typical LEAVE IT TO BEAVER episode. I could see Wally winning a stuffed yellow elephant for Mary Ellen Rogers.

Here's something Wally would never do........................007 rigs it so he has some quality time with Kara on the wheel.

I remember postcard racks!

Later on we see 1987 sunglasses racks.

007 stops at the Vienna Starbucks and quickly pushes his latte away when it tastes like sh*t.

Great subtle moment by Dalton.
    Joe Don Baker is great. He pounds Scorpio Killer Andy Robinson in CHARLEY VARRICK.

I far prefer him as Whitaker to Jack Wade, which I consider the Sherrif J.W. Pepper of the Brosnan era.

He's more annoying as Wade than JW ever was...
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS will always remain in my top 10.

Even if NO TIME TO DIE is so good it makes OHMSS and FRWL look like garbage, TLD remains.

Bond interrogates Pushkin, one of the best scenes in the series.

As 007 frisks Puskin I picture Mr Wint uttering his iconic "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
    line.

Tim is intense. I wonder how Pierce would have played this scene? Similar to the Dr Kaufmann scene I imagine.
    Fekkesh returns to the franchise!

John Terry as Felix.

WELL YOU'VE GOT ME, JAMES!

Whitaker has a nice view at his pad.

Kara serves Bond his fave beverage.

When I turned 21 I guzzled a martini in one sip just to be like my hero, Tim.

Then I realized it had been made with gin and not vodka, so I ordered another and repeated the action.
    I really love the confrontation between Bond and Koskov on the plane here. Great dialogue.

Kara now gives Bond black coffee. Better than that Starbucks latte he drank while hanging out with his best friend, Saunders.

Although this section of the film seems unpopular among fans I really love when they arrive in Afghanistan and all that follows.

Great stuff, IMO.

The jail break sequence is wonderful.

The Jailer (Ken Sharrock) has a very 2019 look.

With his buzz cut and dirty green T-shirt he was ahead of his time.

It's really popular in this day and age to pop into a barber shop and say:

"Make me look like the Russian Airbase Jailer from THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS"

That's the look everyone seems to sport these days.

He's more annoying as Wade than JW ever was...

Very true. I used to joke he made J.W. look like Connery's Bond.
    I should go back and get the 2000 SE DVD of this film.

The Blu-ray makes Dalton's navy blue shirt look black while at Kamran's.

I really love the desert scenes. I like when Bond is in the middle of nowhere.

I also love Bond hiding in the back of the truck while Necros rides just feet away.

Dalton looks great in this costume with his wolf eyes peering out from the head wrap/scarf.

Genuine suspense as Bond plants the plastic explosive. Wonderful Barry score.
    Kara kicks this guy's a$$ with windshield wipers.

DRIVE IN!!!!!!!!!!

What curse words are Bond uttering here?
    Some believe he's saying "FFS"
    It looks more like G*dd*mn!" to me.

I love Kara, though. She's adorable. She immediately gives Bond a huge hug upon entering the pilot's cabin in spite of the oncoming plane.
    I love Bond blowing up the bridge. Wonderful miniature work here.
    This is one great moment after another.................and here comes another one.

Bond and Kara escape the back of the Hercules jet.

Dalton has the best facial expressions of just about any actor who has ever stepped foot in front of a camera.

Even pulling the chord that releases the parachute for the jeep he looks cool.
    Felix helps Bond sneak into Whitaker's mansion.

I do like John Terry as Felix in spite of some questionable line delivery. He isn't given much to do in this film. He's great in HAWK THE SLAYER with Jack Palance.
    I'd love to see that film again.

Bond vs. Whitaker.

I remember thinking Dalton was excellent at portraying 007 in dangerous spots when this scene came on. Pretty simple ending, but Tim plays it superbly.

Bond spends much of this film looking like he could use a shower.
    He's pretty sweaty after Pushkin enters the scene.
    M and General Gogol are best of friends. I miss Walter Gotell's presence. What a great actor. Gogol was one of my favorite characters during this period of the franchise.

Bond awaits Kara in her dressing room................................

I think the series needs to return to the tradition of "Oh James" as the credits roll.

I just want the series to return to Bond getting laid as the credits roll.

I wonder if we'll get that with NTTD?

I do like John Terry as Felix in spite of some questionable line delivery. He isn't given much to do in this film. He's great in HAWK THE SLAYER with Jack Palance.

Bond vs. Whitaker.

I remember thinking Dalton was excellent at portraying 007 in dangerous spots when this scene came on. Pretty simple ending, but Tim plays it superbly.

I came across Hawk The Slayer in shops the other day and was tempted to buy it (as were Dragonslayer and The Sword and the Sorceror,...more blasts from the 80's!!)
    Its getting that this is the ONLY thread worth visiting on this site.
    Really entertained by your viewing narrations ToTheRight!
    Thanks, I appreciate that, @Mathis1.
    This is one of my favorite threads on these boards. Always fun to comment while watching a Bond and possibly discovering new things. Also fun memories tend to come up as well.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Bond vs. Whitaker.

I came across Hawk The Slayer in shops the other day and was tempted to buy it (as were Dragonslayer and The Sword and the Sorceror,...more blasts from the 80's!!)

When I was in 3rd grade I was really into those sword and sorcerer type films. I came home from school early one day due to a teacher's meeting and HAWK THE SLAYER happened to be on the tube that afternoon. For an 8 year old it was a blast.

Bond vs. Whitaker.

When I was in 3rd grade I was really into those sword and sorcerer type films. I came home from school early one day due to a teacher's meeting and HAWK THE SLAYER happened to be on the tube that afternoon. For an 8 year old it was a blast.

I remember it being good fun. As are the other two I mentioned.
    Conan The Barbarian is one of my favourite films (and Scores!)
    Particularly as I am a fan of director John Milius.
    Nice review of TLD, one of top 3 Bond films, you've put me in the mood to watch it now!

Bond vs. Whitaker.

I remember it being good fun. As are the other two I mentioned.
    Conan The Barbarian is one of my favourite films (and Scores!)
    Particularly as I am a fan of director John Milius.
    Nice review of TLD, one of top 3 Bond films, you've put me in the mood to watch it now!

Thanks!

Conan The Barbarian was great. I also remember SWORD OF THE VALIANT, with Miles O Keefe, Peter Cushing, and Sean Connery.
    In '83 my Dad and a co worker of his took me to see the Lou Feriigno HERCULES. I was a big Hulk fan and loved it. Pretty forgettable film, though.
  • MadisonPatelMadisonPatel united kingdom
    w2bond wrote: »
    TLD perhaps gets disengaging towards the end like most Bond films, however it has many excellent moments throughout including the end fight on the plane. Pushkins scenes, safehouse, car chase, etc so many fantastic scenes which make it my no 1 Bond film.

LTK has good pacing but does have a cheap feel to it. Tanker chase is a highlight. No Barry score is obviously a downer but doesn't distract as much as other non Barry gbwhatsapp entries

I have a fondness for both but while TLD is 1, LTK is in the middle only because it doesn't feel like a Bond film like the higher ranked ones do

Only poor old Laz doesn't have one now. Anybody else fancy starting one for him? Anyway, I'll have to bump the Dalts one to give you competition

Craig isn't my favourite but he's done a great job so far. I'm not a huge fan of his first two but he's good in both of them, in CR he gives one of the best Bond performances of the series. His fight scenes in his first two are brilliant (SF was a step down in that department I think), I think the staircase scrap is up there with Bond vs Grant, Bond vs Necros, etc.
    I love Bond blowing up the bridge. Wonderful miniature work here.
    This is one great moment after another.................and here comes another one.

Bond and Kara escape the back of the Hercules jet.

Dalton has the best facial expressions of just about any actor who has ever stepped foot in front of a camera.

Even pulling the chord that releases the parachute for the jeep he looks cool.

The miniature work is exceptional in this film. It's seamless with the live action.
    Watched TLD tonight and Dalton just blows me away with his performance. Brilliant Bond film. 4th best in the series for me.