The James Bond Culinary Quizz

edited April 2012 in Trivia & Games Posts: 5,821
A few years ago, in the old days of the old forum, I wrote about the book "Bon Appétit, Mr. Bond" which, despite some very glaring faults, was still an interesting view into the eating habits of the most popular secret agent in the world. In this book, there's a quizz about food in the books and the films which I thought would be interesting to put here. So here it is.

Rules: I will ask one question at a time, and ask another once the answer has been found. Each question is multiple choice (three possible answers). I will reject the questions about QOS (at the time, all the writers got were rumours, which ended in a very peculiar question being asked. I may write it down, but just for fun).

Ready? Let's start with an easy one, from the novels:

Q: Which of these lunches doesn't exist:

1) Dr. No gets eaten by crabs
2) Felix Leiter gets eaten by a shark
3) Domino gets eaten by Bond

Comments

1) Dr. No gets eaten by crabs does not exist in the novels.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 5,821
    The round goes to Volante. Here's one, a bit more difficult, from the movies:

In OHMSS, 007 eats a toast, and identifies a Beluga Caviar from the North of the Caspian Sea. But in fact...

1) Only less than twenty people in the world can be that accurate
    2) The cover box shows that it's Iranian Caviar
    3) The north of the Caspian Sea doesn't produce Beluga
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Guessing: 2) Iranian caviar
    I think it's #3, I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Cipher wrote:
    I think it's #3, I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.

That was my thought too.
  • I would have eaten Domino for sure ;) :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I would have eaten Domino for sure ;) :D

Oh the images...

Hell, even Bond said "wait until you see my teeth". Maybe he had different intentions than we though, and after Bond and her escape at the end we never see her again either...IS JAMES BOND CANNIBALISTIC?!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I would have eaten Domino for sure ;) :D

Oh the images...

Hell, even Bond said "wait until you see my teeth".

Like a dirty old man eating ice cream :))

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited April 2012 Posts: 2,629
    He was talking about eating a slice of pie from Domino's Pizza you pervs. :D
  • I would have eaten Domino for sure ;) :D

Can't argue with that comment, and I wont divulge if I'm talking about the pizza!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Kerim wrote:

'Domino's Pizza' is that a euphemism? Presumably its heavy on the anchovies?
    Meanwhile, the question has not been answered. Told you it was tough.
    Gerard wrote:
    Meanwhile, the question has not been answered. Told you it was tough.

Someone guessed 3, someone guessed 2; if the question is still open then I will guess 1.
    And a good guess it is. Indeed, according to the Petrossian house, less than 20 people in the world can say where a caviar comes from by tasting it.

Now, one from the books:

In the eyes of Bond, what should the ideal woman know how to do ?

1) Tournedos Rossini
    2) Scrambled Eggs
    3) Béarnaise sauce
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Kerim wrote:

'Domino's Pizza' is that a euphemism? Presumably its heavy on the anchovies?

You know the old saying- "If it smells like fish, do as you wish" ;)

I'm with The Rock (Dwayne Johnson)- I LOVE pie!
    As noone has answered the question I asked, here's a clue: the answer is in Diamonds are Forever

The book, not the movie.
    The answer is 3) Bearnaise sauce. Which Tiffany Case proves to be an expert in, as the Chef testifies.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Was thinking the same thing. But just on the off chance Blakewho is wrong (which he never is) I'll say Tournedos Rossinni. Bond is too peculiar about his scrambled eggs to expect a woman to know that.
    Blakewho is right. Indeed, it's Béarnaise sauce. Here's one from the movies:

In LALD, the taxi driver who drives Bond to Harlem gets a generous tip. For that price, he would agree to drive Bond to:

1) The Devil's kitchen
    2) Hitler's wedding buffet
    3) A Ku Klux Klan cookout
    Number 3, a KKK cookout.
    Excellent, Volante. One from the books, more precisely The Man With The Golden Gun:

During the final duel, Scaramanga devours, alive:

1) A crab
    2) A snake
    3) A shark
    Well, scaramanga´s mother was a snake charmer. Not that that has nothing to do with it but I´ll say a snake (in the morass).
    That round goes to Univex. It is indeed a snake that Scaramanga eats while chasing and being chased by Bond.

Now, one from the movies, still about Scaramanga: How does The Man with the Golden Gun like his oysters ?

1) With honey
    2) With Mayonnaise
    3) With Tabasco

It's surely Tabasco isn't it ?, what do I win

I don't even know why I'm answering to this, must be damn tired..

You'll forgive me if I leave 8-|
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Gerard wrote:
    That round goes to Univex. It is indeed a snake that Scaramanga eats while chasing and being chased by Bond.

Now, one from the movies, still about Scaramanga: How does The Man with the Golden Gun like his oysters ?

1) With honey
    2) With Mayonnaise
    3) With Tabasco

"Nic Nac... TABASCO!"

Baltimore and Haserot have answered correctly. Now, one from the books, and it's an easy one:

For James Bond, English Tea is:

1) Indispensible every morning
    2) Undrinkable
    3) Better iced with rhum
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Undrinkable?
    I believe it is "Indispensable every morning", and I think it is from MR that he mentions this.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Are you sure that isn't coffee? I thought Bond hated tea? There's large section on why in Thunderball.

I can't remember some individual lines though, so you may have the answer @Brady.
    Samuel, you were right the first time. Indeed, Bond thinks English Tea is undrinkable. He even calls it "mud", and thinks it's the cause of Britain's decline.

Now, one from the movies:

During the final meal in Diamonds are Forever, Bond unmasks the would be killers, Wint and Kidd:

1) Because they think Dom Pérignon is a pink Champagne
    2) They don't know that Mouton Cadet is a Claret
    3) They use the wrong Brandy to flame the shashlik