NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    edited November 2019 Posts: 231
    @MakeshiftPython Completely agree! You could argue for consistency it might be interesting to have Arnold back (just to finish off the cycle started with CR) - but there are so many other talented composers out there who might bring something new, interesting and exciting to the mix. I'd be willing to take the chance.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Yeah, that N. Peal theme was wonderful.
    Considering it wasn't even a real orchestra it is very impressive.
    Right? Guy can work cheap ;)
    Virtual Instruments and sample libraries are extremely good these days. I'm sure pretty much any established Hollywood composer (save for a few old-school names) could make an orchestral mock-up to this quality now. But you can't beat a live performance!
  • Arnold is the best choice.
  • Satorious wrote: »
    Exciting times if this is true! Arnold would be the obvious choice for many - but unlike many of you - I found the N.Peal thing extremely generic - was hoping Arnold might have updated his sound a bit more after 10 years absence. ? I'd love to see a new composer get a short - someone like Daniel Pemberton, Terrance Blanchard or Henry Jackman - but let's see how this all plays out.

Yeah, there’s so many other rich composers out there that it would feel like a waste to just only use Arnold just because some fans think of him as the anointed. The guy had a run for a full decade with five films. That’s plenty enough for me.
    First of all I don’t think there are many “rich composers” out there (sadly the days of great composers are long gone) but even if that was the case what difference does that make? Are they right for Bond is the question. It’s like saying “why get Ennio Morricone to score yet another Spaghetti Western when there are other rich composers out there?” Like it or not but Arnold is the Morricone of the Bond films. Just like Barry was back in the day. And I say this as someone who loved what Newman did with SF (but not with SP).
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Looks like Arnold is coming back he is the only guy who could come in.
  • Craig is back for a 5th time at Bond to complete what he started in CR.
    Arnold should be back, to also complete Craig's arc, and to go out on a high(er) note. (QoS was an excellent score already!)

I'll happily welcome a new composer for the next Bond.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Arnold is the best choice.

I don't think the words "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" have been used in conjunction in over ten years, if ever. It's why the guy has been sitting on his arse doing basically nothing.

But by all means: feel free to get excited over EON bringing in a guy whose recent film credits are even less impressive than Dan Romer's.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Satorious wrote: »
    Exciting times if this is true! Arnold would be the obvious choice for many - but unlike many of you - I found the N.Peal thing extremely generic - was hoping Arnold might have updated his sound a bit more after 10 years absence. ? I'd love to see a new composer get a short - someone like Daniel Pemberton, Terrance Blanchard or Henry Jackman - but let's see how this all plays out.

Yeah, there’s so many other rich composers out there that it would feel like a waste to just only use Arnold just because some fans think of him as the anointed. The guy had a run for a full decade with five films. That’s plenty enough for me.
    First of all I don’t think there are many “rich composers” out there (sadly the days of great composers are long gone) but even if that was the case what difference does that make? Are they right for Bond is the question. It’s like saying “why get Ennio Morricone to score yet another Spaghetti Western when there are other rich composers out there?” Like it or not but Arnold is the Morricone of the Bond films. Just like Barry was back in the day. And I say this as someone who loved what Newman did with SF (but not with SP).

We’ll have to agree to disagree because I don’t think Arnold is anywhere near the level of Barry or Morricone in the slightest.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Well - not necessarily! Yes, it's possible - perhaps even likely if EON have their way (it is the "easy" option). But EON have said that the choice of composer is down to the director (which is why we got Newman twice in a row), so let's not also underestimate the fact that Fukunaga might want to bring in a new sound. It looks like he's playing in the Damien Chazelle production sandbox, I wouldn't be surprised to see Justin Hurwitz come on-board.
    Well - not necessarily! Yes, it's possible - perhaps even likely if EON have their way (it is the "easy" option). But EON have said that the choice of composer is down to the director (which is why we got Newman twice in a row), so let's not also underestimate the fact that Fukunaga might want to bring in a new sound. It looks like he's playing in the Damien Chazelle production sandbox, I wouldn't be surprised to see Justin Hurwitz come on-board.

Now Hurwitz would be an exciting choice!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Isn't it pretty late in the game though I guess how important is the director to the schedule?
    There’s plenty of time at this point. It’s only November.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    I don't think the words "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" have been used in conjunction in over ten years, if ever. It's why the guy has been sitting on his arse doing basically nothing.

But by all means: feel free to get excited over EON bringing in a guy whose recent film credits are even less impressive than Dan Romer's.
    I'm pretty sure you're already a broken record at this point bringing up Arnold's work or lackthereof.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the Bond score he provides but your pitiful contempt for him obviously clouds your judgement enough to pointlessly regurgitate the same point everytime his name is brought up.

I don't give a hoot what he's done in the meantime, the fact is he is the best contemporary Bond composer. And that's that on that.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Welcome, David.

Regarding Romer, I hope it won't take years for his start-up work on the score to be available for listening.

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I would actually cry tears of joy if Arnold replaced Romer at this point. (Nothing personal against Romer fyi.) Just this morning I was listening to 'The Palio' from QoS and thought to myself how strange it was that the producers decided to not bring him back.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    TripAces wrote: »
    It's why the guy has been sitting on his arse doing basically nothing.

Just like you.
    Walecs wrote: »

Just like all of us.

FIFY ;)
  • Walecs wrote: »
    Just like you.
    LMAO, co-signed!

edited November 2019 Posts: 7,999
    Interestingly, Joe Kraemer replied on Twitter when he was named dropped him for a hypothetical replacement. He’s pretty classy that guy.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Just like you.
    LMAO, co-signed!

Aw, you two are cute. ;))
    Viciously criticize other composers? Fair game. Viciously criticize Arnold? HOW DARE THEY! ;)
    What an interesting turn of events if true. I was more than ready to give Romer a chance, but Arnold was always my first choice, so I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t happy he might have a chance again.
    How Arnold haters feel listening to his scores.

david_arnold_1.jpg
    “Ugh, turn it off!”

;)

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Waiting for some official statements, but I'd be fine with the idea of Arnold replacing Romer. He knows how to write a strong Bond score.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Just like all of us.

FIFY ;)

Point taken :D
    Viciously criticize other composers? Fair game. Viciously criticize Arnold? HOW DARE THEY! ;)

Nothing wrong with fair criticism, but saying a composer is a hack because he hasn't scored any big blockbusters since QoS like TripAces does is plain stupid (but then again TripAces has been proving he's an idiot since he joined the boards), it's completely irrelevant to Arnold's skills as a musician and it's well known that it is Arnold's decision not to work with Hollywood.
    But TripAces is so insecure that he needs to bring up and even make up irrelevant arguments only to support his thesis just because he doesn't like Arnold and feels a weirdo for belonging to the minority.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 7,999
    Not really necessary to call him an “idiot”.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    matt_u wrote: »
    Waiting for some official statements, but I'd be fine with the idea of Arnold replacing Romer. He knows how to write a strong Bond score.

In my opinion, it would be good PR and a good strategy if EON put out a statement when they have a replacement, if they indeed need one. I don't think they should put out a statement now, if they have just lost Romer, they need/want to put a positive spin on it.

But I fear they won't comment anything, and we'll only notice if it has changed if there's another name on the poster. But still, please, EON, don't leave us hanging.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Romer is still the composer until the time comes that EON officially announce a replacement.
    Romer is still the composer until the time comes that EON officially announce a replacement.

Agreed.