No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited July 2019 Posts: 11,425
    QOS has more genuine wit and quality dramatic scenes IMO than SF and SP put together.

Not saying it was anywhere near as good as those early Connery films but I think Forster was thinking along the right lines.

Forster's biggest problem of course was the lack of a quality script. Or a script full stop really.

With a good script QOS might have been a classic.

Love the pics so far. Any idea if the cuts on Craig's lip and knuckles makeup or real?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    @Ludovico They're make up.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    A new instagram post from Cary. "Working out the puzzle of “order of shooting” with 1st AD Jon Mallard. AD’s make everything work, absolutely everything, and also get the flack when things don’t go as expected. All the guts and rarely glory. Jon’s done True Detective, Beasts Of No Nation, and Maniac with me, all of which were doozies, thanks Jon #Bond25"

I've personally zoomed in on the board and it seems to be an exterior looking scene. My instinct was possibly Matera, but with the locations we have this film, it could be any of them.

Is it just me, or does the images at the bottom there show a fight – possibly in a street?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Regarding the flashback, it's also a possibility (albeit an unlikely one) that this is an example of IMDB being unreliable. However, with the footage and similarities between the scene description and the story Madeleine told Bond on the train, combined with that casting notice that sought out a 'young Léa Seydoux' with aquatic experience, my gut tells me that young girl is Madeleine and she somehow gets caught up in the plot surrounding Malek's character.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,834
    A new instagram post from Cary. "Working out the puzzle of “order of shooting” with 1st AD Jon Mallard. AD’s make everything work, absolutely everything, and also get the flack when things don’t go as expected. All the guts and rarely glory. Jon’s done True Detective, Beasts Of No Nation, and Maniac with me, all of which were doozies, thanks Jon #Bond25"

I've personally zoomed in on the board and it seems to be an exterior looking scene. My instinct was possibly Matera, but with the locations we have this film, it could be any of them.

Is it just me, or does the images at the bottom there show a fight – possibly in a street?

I thought so too, like I said I thought it might be Matera but tbh it could be anywhere.

It also kinda reminds me of the shot of Patrice and 007 on the train in Skyfall.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    When it comes to the Norway sequence featuring the young girl being chased, I think some are overthinking it. The girl is Madeleine and she's very likely being chased by a SPECTRE associated group that includes Malek's character.
    In the present he may be in his late 30's or early 40's, his appearance hasn't changed significantly in the past 15 plus years; in the flashbacks he may be 20 to 25 years old. it's very plausible . It would not surprise me to see Mr. White as well.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Regarding the flashback, it's also a possibility (albeit an unlikely one) that this is an example of IMDB being unreliable. However, with the footage and similarities between the scene description and the story Madeleine told Bond on the train, combined with that casting notice that sought out a 'young Léa Seydoux' with aquatic experience, my gut tells me that young girl is Madeleine and she somehow gets caught up in the plot surrounding Malek's character.

Yes...

I thought so too, like I said I thought it might be Matera but tbh it could be anywhere.

It also kinda reminds me of the shot of Patrice and 007 on the train in Skyfall.

Could it possibly be the outdoor set at Pinewood?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Oh for sure, I mean where the scene itself is set.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

The set at Pinewood is supposed to be Cuba, so it's definitely a possibility. Looks like some hand-to-hand combat.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Getafix wrote: »
    QOS has more genuine wit and quality dramatic scenes IMO than SF and SP put together.

Not saying it was anywhere near as good as those early Connery films but I think Forster was thinking along the right lines.

Forster's biggest problem of course was the lack of a quality script. Or a script full stop really.

Agreed.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

The set at Pinewood is supposed to be Cuba, so it's definitely a possibility. Looks like some hand-to-hand combat.
    Oh really? How do you know it's Cuba :)
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241

There was a Cuban flag seen in one of the photos, wasn't it?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Explain how a film can have genuine wit without a quality script? When we discuss wit within the context of a Bond film, it comes from the banter, from the dialogue. QoS was severely lacking in this department.

m1dhdv2comel.jpeg

talos7 wrote: »
    When it comes to the Norway sequence featuring the young girl being chased, I think some are overthinking it. The girl is Madeleine and she's very likely being chased by a SPECTRE associated group that includes Malek's character.
    In the present he may be in his late 30's or early 40's, his appearance hasn't changed significantly in the past 15 plus years; in the flashbacks he may be 20 to 25 years old. it's very plausible . It would not surprise me to see Mr. White as well.

Exactly!
    Univex wrote: »

Exactly!

Makes zero sense since Malek is currently 38 and Lea Seydoux is 34.

Why wouldn't they just get Seydoux to play the younger version of herself?

If this theory is correct, the character is Malek's father.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

m1dhdv2comel.jpeg

Fun fact: The real Palacio de Velázquez, or Velázquez Palace (sometimes referred to as Palacio de Exposiciones) is an exhibition hall located in Buen Retiro Park, Madrid, Spain.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,586
    Contraband wrote: »

m1dhdv2comel.jpeg

Fun fact: The real Palacio de Velázquez, or Velázquez Palace (sometimes referred to as Palacio de Exposiciones) is an exhibition hall located in Buen Retiro Park, Madrid, Spain.
    I don't think it's meant to double the real place.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Consider Toy Story 4.

The script makes Bo Peep one of the major characters, while she was just a minor one in Toy Story 1 and 2, and was entirely missing from Toy Story 3. Twenty years after TS2, they had to reestablish her, for the audience to understand why she would mean that much to Woody.
    The writers went the flashback and prologue route with a scene that takes place between TS2 and TS3 and explains why she's gone from TS3. This way, the audience has some sympathy for her, and gets why it's so important to Woody when he meets her again.

Of course, it's a kid film, but Pixar is extremely skilled with the "Show, don't tell" approach. A few months ago, I was actually supporting the flashback approach for Madeleine. Rather than having the actress tell what she faced as a kid, for a character that didn't make as much of an impression as intended by the Spectre filmmakers, involve the character in a thrilling scene that makes us concerned about her well-being or the way she's much more similar to Bond's personality than her looks suggest, and we have a much better idea of why she's the "one" according to Bond, something that Spectre didn't really manage to establish. (And that OHMSS did right with Tracy in the first twenty minutes)
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,665

Exactly!

Let me try a different theory:

The actor who doubles for Malek was just in Norway to play an unnamed assassin. He then resumed work as Malek's double. Malek was never meant to be in that scene. He filmed other stuff in Norway though. And will continue to do so.

This is just speculative. But see? It made sense of it all in a jiffy. We're all caught up in this thinking Malek's stunt double only plays Malek's character in the film. What if they use them for other roles?

And this was just Madeleine's story as a flashback. With no Malek.

Liste, I don't know, we're just playing a guess game here. And it's been fun so far ;)
    edited July 2019 Posts: 7,889

Exactly!

So a 38 year old can’t play a slightly older character? Of course he can. Shoot, Sean Connery is only 12 years older than Harrison Ford and played his dad.

At the time of the flashback, she is roughly 14 , his character can be 20 or so. . Very feasible.

Personally, I just hope there isn't a flashback. Not that it can't be done properly of course, but I just don't like them in general.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    TripAces wrote: »

Explain how a film can have genuine wit without a quality script? When we discuss wit within the context of a Bond film, it comes from the banter, from the dialogue. QoS was severely lacking in this department.

@Getafix just can't help himself, he can't stop himself from slagging Skyfall off.

He doesn't even think is constant criticism is OTT, we get it mate you have utter contempt for the film, can you please let it go and talk about Bond 25 without bringing up your dislike for SF, go on give it a go you might like it.

Yeesh!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Oh of course! Thanks @jake24
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Contraband wrote: »

m1dhdv2comel.jpeg

I don't think it's meant to double the real place.

Yeah well that goes without saying I suppose. More like they using the name cause it's sounds great for a cuban hotel in Bond25
    I wonder if the aforementioned set has anything to do with this exchange between Craig and Prince Charles?

HRH: I've just been shown the bar...
    DC: Oh yes, that I fall on to, and actually break every glass and bottle unfortunately so I don't get to have a drink.
    I wonder if the aforementioned set has anything to do with this exchange between Craig and Prince Charles?

DC: Oh yes, that I fall on to, and actually break every glass and bottle unfortunately so I don't get to have a drink.

I bet it's the same set. If you zoom and take a look behind Charles, there's what seems to be a bar counter. I bet it'll be one of the highlights in the trailer, Bond smashing through all that glass.
  • RC7RC7

That’s exactly what I took it to mean.