Goldeneye: Where Bond was Born: Ian Fleming's Jamaica by Matthew Parker.

edited August 2014 in Literary 007 Posts: 802
I've just finished reading Parker's book and I can't recommend it highly enough.
As the title suggests, it's focus is on Fleming's life in and love affair with Jamaica. It succeeds in not only being a riveting account of the creation of 007 and the evolution of each adventure but it also serves as a fabulous book about Jamaica and Ian's relationship with it's inhabitants.
Unlike Andrew Lycett's biography, which I found to be comprehensive on Fleming but light on the creation of Bond and dull to read, Parker's book moves at a pace and is a delight. As a frequent visitor to Jamaica and Goldeneye, I can testify to the authenticity of Parker's descriptions. You can smell the sea on the pages - a thoroughly enjoyable summer read and a must for any fan of the literary Bond.
Read and enjoy!

Comments

• edited August 2014 Posts: 4,622
    As a frequent visitor to Jamaica and Goldeneye, I can testify to the authenticity of Parker's descriptions.
    Well done. Trips to GE. Good for you!

Based on your recommendation, I will pick this up. I also like the bit about discussing the evolution of each adventure.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I've ordered this one from Amazon - it looks a fascinating read!
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    I can't wait to read it. Will order soon.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,887
    The reviews have been unanimously positive, a very good sign.

Sinclair McKay praised it in The Telegraph

Other reviews from The Spectator

The Guardian

The Independent

The Financial Times

And no less an authority than Andrew Lycett gave his approval in The Literary Review

There's also an interview with the author, Andrew Taylor, on youtube.

Lastly, The Spectator also ran an article by Fleming's stepdaughter, titled "Was Ian Fleming as cool as his brother?"
    The Spectator article is fun since it was written by Fleming's step-daughter (Ann's daughter) Fionn Morgan.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 893
    Interview with the author Matthew Parker coming soon to literary007.com