Fleming and Fanservice

So, I think most people, probably even most Bond fans, would agree that as Ian Fleming was a man of his time and the time was the '50s, he could be quite reactionary when he wanted to be. However, as I've followed his stories I've noticed one thing he seems rather equal-opportunity on, and that, is, bizarrely, objectification of the human body!

I'll give an example. In the first chapter of FRWL, great attention is paid to the attractiveness of both Grant's masseuse and Grant himself, both of whom are nude. There seems to be at least one scene of male nudity in each book, often with the narrator drawing attention to the muscles, and, of, course, the scenes of female fanservice are more explicit than the movies, with the breasts of almost every female character being described (even Klebb, EEEEEEEEWWW).

So, what do you think of Fleming's use of objectification and "fanservice?" Going into the books I did not expect nearly so much MALE fanservice. Do you believe the point of those scenes is to appeal to women readers? Make male readers feel more "macho?"

Comments

I don't think Fleming was doing fan service at all. Especially not in this scene. There is nothing titillating about Grant being naked: his body, however perfect, is the one of a beast tamed to hunt and kill, something the masseuse feels right away. She is scared of him, of his indifference, of the aura surrounding him. Her own nudity simply illustrates her vulnerability.