Ben Whishaw admits he is nothing like Q as he discusses coming out as gay

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
in Actors Posts: 13,350
James Bond actor Ben Whishaw has admitted he is nothing like his character Q.

The 33-year-old will reprise the role as the geeky boffin in a new Bond film when filming begins at the end of the year, providing more gadgets for Daniel Craig's 007.

But Whishaw told the Sunday Times Magazine: "I'm very non-techy. I don't even have a computer. But there's something very appealing about that character.

"I was surprised to find myself in that kind of film, a big film, with such a big audience."

Before making more Bond, Whishaw is appearing on the big screen this month in Lilting where he plays Richard, a gay man coming to terms with the death of his boyfriend.

Last year British star Whishaw came out as gay himself and revealed he had entered a civil partnership with Australian composer Mark Bradshaw.

Asked if he had to come out to his parents, Whishaw said: "I did have to. It's a phase I'm not entirely comfortable with, but since its the only one we have..."

After pausing he continued: "My experiences were not dramatic. No walking around the block. And everyone was surprisingly lovely.

"I identify with the character in Lilting in as much as I had a lot of fear in doing it for a long time. And who can say why? I'm not sure I know. But it takes courage and people have to do it in their own time.

"It's hard to have a conversation with people you've known your whole life about a very intimate thing.

"It's massively weighted with all sorts of stuff, whatever the wider world is saying. It's an intimate and private and difficult conversation for most people."

Whishaw also recently announced he was replacing Colin Firth as the voice of Paddington Bear, for an animated film out in November.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/ben-whishaw-admits-hes-nothing-3970771