Gareth Mallory as the new M

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Gareth is not common in the U.S., but it has a nice old fashioned sound to it and I think it suits Mallory.

Brit names: Simon, Alastair, Nigel, Hugh, and Rupert come to mind immediately ...
    I like the new M, but I would echo others in saying that I hope the role is a minimal appearance of a few scenes, similar to the Connery/Moore Films. They have played the whole M getting kidnapped/being targeted specifically angle out already.

I'm also tired of the rogue angle. Connery and Moore's Bond for the most part followed and respected M in almost all situations, which is what I think of when I imagine what Bond would do. I think Dalton pulled off the Rogue angle ok, and it worked ok for Craig's Bond, but the idea is getting old and used up. I understand a need for a bit of friction between M and Bond, but I think there is other avenues to go down to get there.
    Ed83 wrote: »
    I like the new M, but I would echo others in saying that I hope the role is a minimal appearance of a few scenes, similar to the Connery/Moore Films. They have played the whole M getting kidnapped/being targeted specifically angle out already.

I'm also tired of the rogue angle. Connery and Moore's Bond for the most part followed and respected M in almost all situations, which is what I think of when I imagine what Bond would do. I think Dalton pulled off the Rogue angle ok, and it worked ok for Craig's Bond, but the idea is getting old and used up. I understand a need for a bit of friction between M and Bond, but I think there is other avenues to go down to get there.

Spot on....my sentiments exactly...

=D>
    I actually think and hope that he will be used more than Bernard Lee. Not as much or in the same way as Dench, but more than his male predecessors. M in the novels was not very developed, but he was far more proactive in the novels.
    What works on the page does not always work on screen. I think the relationship they created during the Connery and Moore eras was pretty much perfect. But things change I guess. I just hope we don't get another 'M movie' like SF. Proper Bond movie please.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I still think Mallory is the new Blofeld in disguise!

I hope you are joking.

Yes but I still hope ESB makes a comeback.
    Getafix wrote: »
    What works on the page does not always work on screen. I think the relationship they created during the Connery and Moore eras was pretty much perfect. But things change I guess. I just hope we don't get another 'M movie' like SF. Proper Bond movie please.

True, but they could do worse than going back to Fleming. And beside, what would not work on the screen in the novels' M? Him finding the plan of the villain like in TB for instance?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I still think Mallory is the new Blofeld in disguise!

I hope you are joking.

Yes but I still hope ESB makes a comeback.

So do I.
    I was going to start a new Ralph Fiennes discussion this January. Talk of him in his past roles.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like him in the role, and I'm happy, after 23 years, to get back to a traditional M (yes, I mean male) in a traditional setting. Agreeing with some previous posts, with a high profile actor in the role I am afraid (especially under Mendes) M is going to get too much screen time and be far too involved in the plot (ala judi Dench's M). And it looks bad for Moneypenny, as well.
    Totally agree with you!!!
    I don't see a problem with giving more screen time to M. It depends how it is done.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree with @Birdleson. M is for Man, not Mammary glands.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Looking forward to seeing what Fiennes does with the part, he was great in SF.

She'll probably be a little too old when he's eventually binned off, but watching Geraldine James over the last two series of 'Utopia', I kept thinking what a great M she'd make. Particularly opposite Craig.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Agent7F wrote: »
    I was going to start a new Ralph Fiennes discussion this January. Talk of him in his past roles.

I'm still a bit dubious about the fact that Voldemort is in charge of Mi6...
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 3,564

Maybe Daniel Radcliffe should be cast as the villain in the next Bond movie?
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there

Maybe Daniel Radcliffe should be cast as the villain in the next Bond movie?

Oh, how the tables have turned!
    Ralph is an inspired choice and adds a lot of weight to Bond...
    He's a great choice. I think he will be a less by the book M.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12,837
    He seems like a no BS, straight down the middle kind of guy that'll do what he thinks is right even if it means not doing things by the book.

I'm sure he'll be good but I wish they'd cast a more unknown actor (same goes for Q and MP). Ralph Fiennes can't be cheap so I'm sure they'll have M getting involved more often again, something I don't really like. Although John Cleese is a pretty big name and he didn't get much screentime so you never know, maybe the new M won't get as much screentime as Dench. At least I hope he won't.
    andmcit wrote: »
    I guess it must just be me then!? The Gareths i know would struggle to run a knee's up in a brewery let alone Mi6

Yeah and every time I hear Gareth I think of this guy

gareth.jpg

@MrBond I'm British, I was born and raised in England and now I'm living in Wales, and I've never met anyone called Gareth. It seems like an old fashioned posh boy name to me, it makes me think of a Family Guy esque stereotypical Englishman. Dunno if that's just me though.
    Part of me wished a more unknown actor would have been cast too, but finding an unknown veteran in his fifties is not so easy.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    And yet you would think there would be quite a few truly decent actors, not big names yet talented, about the same age as Fiennes, who would love a good role. Especially in a Bond film. No - EON wanted a rather well known actor and a good one.

I do not believe Mallory will have as much screen time as Judi's M (certainly not as much as in Skyfall). But it will be more than just a brief bit at the beginning, I am as sure as I can be about that.
    Something strick me a moment ago: Ralph Fiennes played in The Avengers remake. not like the original series, not to mention it was a rubbish movie, but still, he did play in The Avengers, just like Diana Rigg, Joanna Lumley and Pactrick Macneee, who all played in a Bond movie.

Okay, it is off topic.
    Oh how could I forget? Of course!
    I like Ralph Fiennes and I was thrilled to see that he would be taking over as the new "M". The talk of him going head to head with the IRA and seeing him take part in the shootout in the council chambers. He even got "bloodied" in the gunfight.
    A younger, kick ass type of "M" for the series.
    In the light of the little we know of Spectre, I am curious to see how M, who comes from an army, field operative background, will deal with the bureaucracy in Whitehall. He is one of the characters I want to see the most (yes, yes, whatever you say about M being featured too much in previous movies).
    As we've had our first glimpse of Mallory in Spectre, I thought I'd resurrect this thread.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    A welcome return to an old School M I hope. I was never a fan of the 'Dench' M....PC for PC's sake.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    A welcome return to an old School M I hope. I was never a fan of the 'Dench' M....PC for PC's sake.
    I think it was more of a nod to Dame Stella Rimington than PC for PC's sake.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    True. But for me it was totally unfleming (despite the obvious shift from 50's to 90's).
    suavejmf wrote: »
    True. But for me it was totally unfleming (despite the obvious shift from 50's to 90's).

In Fleming Bond's ultimate boss was a woman. She is still his ultimate boss actually.

Anyway, back on topic: I find M to look weary in the images we saw of him.