The official Bond 23 location thread

edited June 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 660
It pretty simple...suggest location for Bond 23

Comments

Good idea but...... Can I Suggest a Name Change
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    may i suggest Niagara Falls.... for like the 10,000 time lol
    i have no problem with Bond going back to India. The subcontinent was one of the highlights of OP and Udaipur was used brilliantly in a very evocative and atmospheric way.

Mumbai is different as it is abit unwieldy and overcrowded. Which is very cinematic and could be used for good foot and car chases. My own choice if they went back to India would be the Himalayas. Very cinematic and I have been to those mountains and the narrow precipitous roads would be great for carchases etc.

My only wish is that we never go to New York or LA.Both locations done to death on film.

If I could chose then I would chose Africa. The Chinese at the moment are muscling in on its natural resouces especially in Namibia and Botswana. Also you have got the uraninium mines in Namibia and Congo which could be used as a villains plan.

Cape Town would also be the perfect Bond location.
  • I would like to see Bangkok, I think southeast Asia would work?
    Shanghai?, Hong Kong? Beijing?
    Lake El'gygytgyn (yes, that's its real name) in Siberia is a lake that - as far as anyone can tell - has never actually been covered by a glacier. This is significant because it means the lake is the same as it was millions of years ago ... like during the time of the dinosaurs. It's theorised that thermal springs at the bottom of the lake could sustain microbial life. This could easily translate into a villain trying to perfect a new chemical weapon from the Jurassic Age.

"The grave of the earth" is a place in central Russia where the remains of the Mayak disaster were buried. Before Chernobyl, an explosion at the Mayak Weapons Combine was the world's worst nuclear disaster. A nearby lake, Lake Karachay, was covered over with leaded cement, but even today, an hour on its shores without protection can kill you. The nearby city of Ozyorsk is closed all all foreigners and even most Russians. The worst-contaminated soil was excavated, sealed in lead-lined caskets and taken to a secret location that remains largely unknown today. Filming there would be impossible, but a set modelled on it could be great.

Samarkand is a city in the middle of the desert in Uzbekistan that was once a major stopover on the Silk Road. It's a really beautiful city (Google it), and is best-known for being a source of Persian carpets. I had an idea for a story a while ago that involved British agents weaving intelligence into these carpets and smuggling them out of the country.

If Bond were to go to India, then the city of Jodhpur would be a good choice. It might not be as well-known as the likes of Mumbai, but it's quite unusual: large parts of the city have been painted blue. It's also home to a massive fortress, the Mehrangarh Fort, that was built in the fifteenth century and has never fallen to an invading army.

Likewise, if the plot were centred on south-east or south Asia, Bond should pay a visit to Bhutan, the world's most mountainous country. It's off the beaten track and very isolated, but it's also very beautiful and filled with Buddhist iconography. It would be a great base of operations for the villain, particularly if the plot revolved around China, Myanmar and/or India.

The Skeleton Coast is a strip of land along the Angola-Namibia border where high seas make it almost impossible to land a boat (but very easy to beach one). It's so named because Dutch whaling boats used to dump the carcasses of whales in the Atlantic and the currents would carry them to the Skeleton Coast, where their skeletons would be bleached by the sun. It's also home to several shipwrecks, and local climate patterns maen the area is usually covered in mist and fog.

Guanajuato in Mexico is unique because most of its roads are underground. The river flowing through the city used to make it a bit like a Mexican version of Venice, but eventually the river changed course and the water in the city dried out. So the Mexicans paved over the riverbed and started digging tunnels to connect all the new roads. These days, most of the vehicle traffic passes under the city. It would be a great setting for a car chase.

If a winter-themed Bond film were on the cards, then I'd like to see him go to Aspen. I know it's the winter playground of the rich and shameless, but I'd love to see Bond face off against an evil hidden in the underbelly of an idyllic snow resort.
  • Shadow - fantastic ideas! Great reading - I hope you get a job at EON :-)
  • I would say somewhere in Cyprus. You have lovely sahara-like, mountainous plains in the north, a demilitarized zone in the middle manned by the United Nations, and a sprawling number of cities in the south. Beautiful beaches, a castle atop the island's highest peak... what more could you ask for? British bases on the east and south of the island, Dakelia and Akritori.
    Barcelona would be great but if sometime Bond come in Macedonia for shooting i will be really really happy
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Barcelona would be great
    It may be said that it's about time Bond actually visited a proper Spanish location (that is, not doubling for somewhere else) and Barcelona, what with its unique Gaudi architecture, is a fine shout...
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 163
    La PALMA, PANAMA
    or
    FRENCH GUIANA