PC Game compatibility issues

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited June 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 23,586
I'm a PC gamer and I have a problem: I love my old games. I <u>still</u> love my old games. I like playing the new ones as well but I can't help still being into Max Payne, Duke Nukem 3D, GTA Vice City...

First it was the screen resolution. But thanks to some wonderful folks out there you can find Hi-Res re-edits of classics such as Duke Nukem 3D or Quake.

Then it was the OS, but often a patch can solve the issue.

<b>GTA Vice City, however, failed to work on my XP (SP3) and of course also on my Windows 7. Until yesterday... when a miraculous solution was presented thanks to, again, some nice folks out there. All I had to do was adjust my theme settings to Windows Classic, and this games runs as smoothly as ever. Amazing!</b>

Do you also desire to play old games again but are you at a total loss due to compatibility issues? Tell us in this thread - others might have a solution for you. Maybe, as in my case, you already have a solution to such a problem. Tell us in this thread - others might make good use of it.

Comments

• LudsLuds MIA
    One thing you can do is use VMWare player. It's an application which runs virtual operating systems inside its own window, so you could technically install any operating system you like, any old Windows if you wish...

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Wow, interesting bit you found there, Luds. Sure it's stable enough? I mean, not one of those little apps that ultimately crash your system... ;;)

Some people have suggested dual boots but I've heard so much negative junk about that...
  • LudsLuds MIA
    No I've been using this for well over 6-7 years in the office, VMWare is a HUGE company int the realm of system virtualization.

I personally use Win 2008 64 bit Enterprise server @ work and run multiple virtual machines for specific OS tests, XP, NT, 2003 server, etc
    I adore the PC platform and I hate the other platforms. I still play NightFire every day, I've became a professional in it and I think no one can beat me there in that game. The other best games on my PC are:

No One Lives Forever
    No One Lives Forever: A Spy in HARM's Way
    Max Payne
    Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Half-Life
    Counter-Strike
    Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
    Half-Life 2 (two episodes)
    SiN Episodes: Emergence
    Hitman
    Hitman: Silent Assassin
    James Bond 007: NightFire
    Metal Gear Solid
    Need For Speed: Underground
    Need For Speed: Most Wanted
    Midnight Racing
    Soldier of Fortune: Double Helix
    Project I.G.I.
    I.G.I.-2: Covert Strike
    Secret Service

and more...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    But this, @JamesBond, has little to do with the thread.

That said, Max Payne fan, huh? Same here. ;;)