For those who have read J.Gardner (specifically 'Licence Renewed')

AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
edited May 2014 in Literary 007 Posts: 1,727
This is my first venture into the Gardner books. Currently about 2/3rds into 'Licence Renewed' and I'm in two minds about it:

I like the way Gardner sets up the classic '007 invited to stay with the villain' and how that is played out, but anytime the dialogue features Bond and one of his female 'interests' the dialogue is almost intolerable - ie. cringeworthy to the point of spoiling the story.

Are all his books like this? It strikes me that he's good at getting the plot set up and injecting tension into the story (the banter between him and his nemeses is excellent, almost Fleming-esque) but really can't write female parts...

Comments

Do bear with it,this was his first Bond novel,and,personally,i think all of them are excellent bar 'Brokenclaw' which i didnt get on with.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,809
    Never Send Flowers is one to look out for as it's something a bit different with James Bond going up against a serial killer called David Dragonpol.
    The beauty of Gardner's Bond was the ingenuity of his '80s reboot.
    He retained the high old tone but made 007 extremely relevant for that decade.
    How that resonates with today's readers is a question?
    They may appear dated.