Are the guns... real?

edited June 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 94
Hi. I have just thought of something interesting(at least for me:-) ). We all known that UK have some problem (rather gov.) with psychic and guns are banned (even I just read something about a guy who was accused of dangerous weapon paragraph, because he get the bread knife with his meal....) - are they still using real guns at studio in UK?

Or just filming sequences in other countries and using the air guns in UK (funny - but I saw the poster with Bond and air gun/BB gun - old series probably from 70s/80s )...

And - I known it may look like 'stupid' question but how do they do shooting sequences? With blank ammo, computers, or real ammo?

Comments

I'm pretty sure that during the film shooting, the guns have blank rounds. Of course, I'm no expert, but this seems to be the majority of what I've heard.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited June 2011 Posts: 987
    Apparently the James Bond films use real weapons that have been converted to only firing blank rounds, according to the armourer for GE, using the standard blank firing replica pistols would still be obviously unauthentic looking to those with a working knowledge of firearms. The UK gun laws are amongst the most draconian in the world but special dispensation is made for prop weapons used in film, TV and theater productions provided it is carefully controlled by registered experts.

As for the poster of James Bond with an air/BB gun @UsualMan you may be referring to the black and white publicity still of Sean Connery in tuxedo for the 1963 film FRWL, apparently when Connery turned up at the photo studio someone had forgotten to bring the prop weapon, so one of the crew was sent out to a local sports shop to pick up a suitable air pistol (coincidentally just like Bond's PPK this one was also made by Walther). As it turns out this has become the most iconic portrait used of Connery posing as James Bond and is still used on a whole variety of merchandise to this day.
    Apparently the James Bond films use real weapons that have been converted to only firing blank rounds, according to the armourer for GE, using the standard blank firing replica pistols would still be obviously unauthentic looking to those with a working knowledge of firearms. The UK gun laws are amongst the most draconian in the world but special dispensation is made for prop weapons used in film, TV and theater productions provided it is carefully controlled by registered experts.

As for the poster of James Bond with an air/BB gun @UsualMan you may be referring to the black and white publicity still of Sean Connery in tuxedo for the 1963 film FRWL, apparently when Connery turned up at the photo studio someone had forgotten to bring the prop weapon, so one of the crew was sent out to a local sports shop to pick up a suitable air pistol (coincidentally just like Bond's PPK this one was also made by Walther). As it turns out this has become the most iconic portrait used of Connery posing as James Bond and is still used on a whole variety of merchandise to this day.
    GE like golden eye or GE like something else?
    So thank You for answer.

Funny - I just remind myself (check even Wikipedia for it) that after introducing these strict laws (but of course they narrowed even more for air guns in 200xs) there was some (of course not too funny in real) terrorist attack at SiS main building in London. They even used something like RPG-7 or similar.

So if You are just usual man :-) You are not allowed to have a knife for sandwich on street, but if You are from IRA/or just another bad guy You can fire rocket launcher in near centre of London :-) ... Maybe they have special permission from gov. - just in old way: "if there will be no bad guys, who will want to pay taxes..."...
  • Just a small correction Saunders
    .... when Connery turned up at the photo studio someone had forgotten to bring the prop weapon, so one of the crew was sent out to a local sports shop to pick up a suitable air pistol (coincidentally just like Bond's PPK this one was also made by Walther).
    It was the photographer's air pistol which he just happened to have in his car.

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Saunders has pretty conclusively answered the question. LOCKED.
This discussion has been closed.