Land Rover Discovery Concept Is A Real Life Bond Car

edited April 2014 in Merchandise Posts: 5,745
Land Rover officially presented its new Land Rover Discovery Concept today, and it's full of Bond-like gadgetry.

mzg8et1jtcanzscymal1.jpg

The new car is not replacing the current Discovery, but instead is a sign of what is to come for the entire Land Rover lineup. For those curious, this concept will inspire a replacement for the current Discovery, whose name will cover a new sub-brand of sorts.

But for most of you, your interest is in the state-of-the-art gadgetry.

1. It can be remotely driven. Yes, without anybody in it. While the "Remote Control Drive" technology combines input from the 'driver' and an autonomous driving system, it still will freaking drive without you in the seat. It is intended for parking efforts, trailer hitching, or helping yourself out of a tricky off-road situation. Tomorrow Never Dies did it first.

2. Invisibility. This feature hit mainstream new sites earlier this week. The new Discovery concept can project a holographic image on the windscreen of what is directly beneath the front portion of the vehicle from the driver's perspective. This virtually turns the entire bonnet/hood portion of the vehicle invisible for the driver, allowing them to see beneath the vehicle, and better help the driver guide the vehicle in off-road driving conditions. Die Another Day did it first.

kmazbembeko7bmvg3mo9.jpg

3. Friggin' Laser Beams. The new Discovery concept features a prototype laser system to better help with precision guidance in parking the vehicle and other tight-space operations. Rather than the relatively simple parking sensors on current vehicles, the new technology allows for extreme precision, making it easier to maneuver. The Living Daylights did it first.

Other gadgets include 'Wade-Aid' technology, informing the driver how far in depth the vehicle currently is, and how far it can go. The Spy Who Loved Me did it first.

The interior seating can also be adjusted via the in-dash touch screen, turning the SUV/Crossover from a 7-seater to a 4-seat luxury limousine by folding the certain seats flat and re-arranging them.

The Discovery concept was revealed in a very Bondian fashion, on-board the deck of the USS Intrepid next to Bond fan / Bond cameo / Moonraker-esque favorite Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic Spacecraft that will soon begin shuttling (very rich) civilians into space.

bobvfjqwhnx9gg9tnlmg.jpg

I think, after the recent appearance of Land Rovers in the Craig films, we are even one more step closer to seeing Bond behind the wheel of a Land Rover / Range Rover SUV.

Two great articles on the new concept and its reveal are linked below.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/land-rover-discovery-concept-has-lasers-remote-control-1563040491

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/land-rover-discovery-concept-is-all-show-not-the-futur-1563225357/+zacestrada

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love this car!
    My dad owns a Land Rover Defender, which is a far more robust version:

pictures%2Fpress%2F2011%2F03%2Fland-rover-defender-110-sw-se-cest-du-roots-quil-nous-faut-1%2F5.jpg

I think both are pretty cool. (Personally, I drive a simple car and only when I have to for that matter. I prefer public transportation.)