Is Bond production design as good as it could be?

Comments

The production design is definitely better during the Craig era. The films no longer have the cheap and slightly naff look and feel they'd had for a rather long time... But they are not much more than acceptable IMO. For a series that once set the standard for production design, I think we should expect a bit more. Ken Adam (as with John Barry) set incredibly high standards, that have never quite been matched since. But that's no reason not to try.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    The production design is definitely better during the Craig era. The films no longer have the cheap and slightly naff look and feel they'd had for a rather long time... But they are not much more than acceptable IMO. For a series that once set the standard for production design, I think we should expect a bit more. Ken Adam (as with John Barry) set incredibly high standards, that have never quite been matched since. But that's no reason not to try.

Completely agreed. These were creative geniuses.

EON has been through a lot since they last worked on Bond though (including financial troubles with MGM, studio idiots messing with the creative process etc.) as well as the advent and overuse of CGI.

I miss Barry greatly as well as Adam (and I can really can tell the difference between their finesse and their respective successor's lack thereof, so it upsets me - it does not seem to be that way with everyone). These men were visionary giants in their respective fields.

It may be too much to expect that we can get there again but now that Bonds are making wads of cash again, maybe they will insist that the music, and the sets, reflect that. I think SP will be better than SF in this regard, so we have something to look forward to.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 7,500
    The problem with trying to replicate incredibly high standards is that it might lead to ice palaces and invicible cars. The world has moved on, most things have been done. And you can't make sets much more beatiful than what Glassner did in Skyfall is my humble opinion.
    jobo wrote: »
    The problem with trying to replicate incredibly high standards is that it might lead to ice palaces and invicible cars. The world has moved on, most things have been done. And you can't make sets much more beatiful than what Glassner did in Skyfall is my humble opinion.

That's so true. The ice palace thing probably felt cool to some studio nut. I watched DAD the other day and could not believe they came up with that.

Personally I really like some of the design elements I saw in QoS (editing aside). The Tosca eye in particular was very Bondian. It wasn't a set, but I'll take that over any ice palace as it had the unique Bond quirkiness. Sort of like the Dr. No set where Dent gets his instructions from Dr. No and the spider. The hotel as well had an Adam vibe.

I agree it's best to forge ahead rather than try to recreate the past, especially if you don't truly understand what inspired the original vision. Otherwise, one runs the risk of pastiche and even worse, parody..
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, there are real ice hotels for example. That was actually not farfetched.

With the world giving us some real, stunning architectural structures, I think we can keep the Bond films with very interesting locations that seem realistic, including the buildings. Set design for interior work should also be of highest standard, nothing looking cheap. It needs to be interesting, daring even yet not OTT because that would make it seem ... dated, like an old Bond film. We simply cannot have another villain's lair close to Stromberg's, for example. But they can take an amazing building, like we have seen posted on other threads, and give it a unique, dramatic twist.
    Well, there are real ice hotels for example. That was actually not farfetched.

With the world giving us some real, stunning architectural structures, I think we can keep the Bond films with very interesting locations that seem realistic, including the buildings. Set design for interior work should also be of highest standard, nothing looking cheap. It needs to be interesting, daring even yet not OTT because that would make it seem ... dated, like an old Bond film. We simply cannot have another villain's lair close to Stromberg's, for example. But they can take an amazing building, like we have seen posted on other threads, and give it a unique, dramatic twist.

Yes, I agree totally. They could actually film in a modern architecturally pleasing building and that could substitute for the modern set, and still produce the right vibe at a lower cost. The cinematography is also very important to capture the essence of the location. As an example (and probably not the best one) I love North by Northwest, and in particular the house used at the end of that movie. Although it predates Bond, I find that bit very Bondian, because of the simple yet architectural flair of the house, and the way it is photographed (from upstairs looking down etc).

My problem with the Ice Palace is that it looked like pastiche (evoking TSWLM to a degree). There was nothing particularly standout about it, apart from it being an Ice Palace. Big wow.
    Early in my career I had a chance to work with Peter Lamont, who designed a few of these pictures.
    A very nice man.
    Early in my career I had a chance to work with Peter Lamont, who designed a few of these pictures.
    A very nice man.

You've met Ken Adam and worked with Peter Lamont? I'm envious. Two greats.
    Im not going to try to defend the ice palace for how it looked as it was naff, but the idea of it as a means to justify a venue for a Bransonesque event in the middle of Iceland's wilderness with the feel or an exotic location wasn't a bad idea and as been mentioned, real ice hotels do exist. Furthermore, it did offer an interesting venue to offer something out of the norm for the climax ending where it was all in jeopardy by melting.

My main issue was that damned invisible cloaked car where some idiot must've thought the film was Star Trek not Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Ice Palace was nice but felt really out of place. In the 60's you could get away with those Art Deco Retro Futuristic set designs. It would feel out of place in today's world. Since were moving closer to that crappy MI-6 sub office in QoS with all the touch screens and weird computer interfaces. It would take a miracle to create a perfect balance.
    Murdock wrote: »
    The Ice Palace was nice but felt really out of place. In the 60's you could get away with those Art Deco Retro Futuristic set designs. It would feel out of place in today's world. Since were moving closer to that crappy MI-6 sub office in QoS with all the touch screens and weird computer interfaces. It would take a miracle to create a perfect balance.

That's true, but you know I did like the MI6 bunker office in SF. I totally forgot about that one and you reminded me of it. That seemed suitably Bondian and sort of industrial...
    bondjames wrote: »

That's true, but you know I did like the MI6 bunker office in SF. I totally forgot about that one and you reminded me of it. That seemed suitably Bondian and sort of industrial...

I did like the War Bunker in Skyfall too. I thought the production design took a nice step forward. I was also happy to see the classic M's office design from the 62-89 films.
    That must've been inspired by the Churchill War Office bunker and later cold war nuclear shelters and did have a lovely industrial / Victorian vibe. I really liked the idea of the original Edge of Darkness brit TV series underground shelter too. It's not a new idea and Terminator used this as a key story idea.

At the end of the day it does come down to how an amazing architectural venue can be used as the stage for a nicely filmed action sequence. Something they did try at the start of QoS for the rooftops action though the ropes and scaffolding felt a bit too Cirque du Soleil and ridiculously contrived. The Opera scene is very good with a real nice balance about it though the desert hotel felt totally flat.

Then of course the SF opening bazaar but I'm just not feeling the same wow as the GE sets. God help Spectre meeting up in a Travelodge conference room somewhere! Please make the venue more Piz Gloria. Mind, without Barry, I feel that wouldn't have resonated quite the way it does in OHMSS so of course I totally agree with other comments about the score being as important if not more so than the set.

That's what I meant. Well put!
    That being said. If SPECTRE or future Bond films filmed in real Art Deco locations. Such as the Wiki Leaks Building. Then I think they could get away with it.

wikileaks-architecture-1.jpg
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 7,500
    That does look very cool indeed! I guess modern production design in Bond should be about great location scouting and taste more than outlandish studio designs. For now at least...
    Yes. While I'm going to bash or defend Die Another Day, I really did enjoy the Ice Palace even if it was strangely out of place. But at the same time it isn't out of place because there are real ice hotels that look even more over the top.

ice-hotel-708x400.jpg
    Yes. While I'm going to bash or defend Die Another Day, I really did enjoy the Ice Palace even if it was strangely out of place. But at the same time it isn't out of place because there are real ice hotels that look even more over the top.

ice-hotel-708x400.jpg

I don't think the ice palace concept in itself was the problem - it was the design, implementation And perhaps it's role in the film.

My argument is really that the quality of design work on Bond is just not very inspired. Remember Ken Adam didn't just do crazy volcano lairs - he did period interiors, simple hotel rooms, etc. He designed so many films other than Bond as well - like the Madness of King George and several Kubrick movies. The general standard was just higher.

Glassner is not bad, if you want Glassner. I am just saying Bond could aim higher. Not by aping Ken Adam, but by seeking out a new young talent who has their own unique vision and talent and brings the look of the Bond films cometely up to date and makes it really interesting again.

The Tosca set was a piece of opera production design by someone else that the QoS location scouts found and used for Bond. I'd like it if the Bond production designers came up with those kind of designs themselves . Also the final hotel sets were a bit derivative of Ken Adam but without the originality. I don't want Ken Adam rip- offs. I want new original production design that really suggests that stylish, possibly sometimes slightly fantastical world of Bond. I think Nolan would be the person to bring on board superior Design talent - he really has a strong awareness of the importance of production design. I think Mendes has a little bit of a theatre approach - sets and production design are more like part of his set of tools. Whereas I think sets are porential characters in a story - they can really add so much, particularly in a Bond film.
    That Wiki Leaks building above is exactly what I'm talking about, in terms of a suitable Bond building. The Ice palace posted above also fits the bill, but to a lesser extent (I always am reminded of Superman for some reason). It's certainly better than what they came up with for DAD (that just seemed like an excuse to drive a car into and to melt).

I think a key is eccentricity. There must be something quirky or eccentric about the location, combined with some feeling of space or expansiveness, and a certain coldness of character. Then it must be photographed and filmed to maximize the details. I used to think that it needed to be sparsely populated too in order to fit Bond, but the QoS eye has changed my mind. More people is not a problem....... It just needs some eccentricity IMO.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 18
    Aside from the Cuban complex in GE nobody mentioned the armoured train, chemical weapons plant, and Severnaya control (locations brilliantly translated in the famous N64 game).

I also liked the unsung stealthboat (a fairly large moody set and model work; no CGI) in TND as well.

If SPECTRE has a sprawling lair inhabited by hundreds of minions, I'd borrow lair elements from the better Brosnan films or make it a darker version of the MI6 facilities featured in the Craig films so far.

Silva's hideout was odd and eerie, making you wonder about the upkeep of his mainframes and what his living quarters are like in such a derelict and isolated location, but it was almost completely empty.
    bondjames wrote: »
    A very nice man.

You've met Ken Adam and worked with Peter Lamont? I'm envious. Two greats.

Thanks, a couple of class acts, those two.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 18
    Though in the field of animation, Hayao Miyazaki is really good at set design in his movies and this video analysis (long, with plot spoilers) of his first major movie The Castle of Cagliostro and in the second half it explains how much thought and design went into the layout of the castle and surrounding area (plus this anime film felt very much like a Connery and Moore era Bond film by being set in the 1970s, the scenic locations in a foreign country, the Pussy Galore style cat burglar, Lupin being a lady killer like Bond, the gadgets, the lasers, the memorable car chase that holds up to repeat viewing, the supervillain with an elaborate lair populated by a small army of armed guards, etc).

What I'm saying is that we need Mendes and his team to put more thought into his locations and sets, move away from fast cutting and make them "breath" (but then again we had convincing set designs and layout with the Skyfall estate).
    Did you think fast cutting was an issue in SF? I thought it was relatively old fashioned, using proper shots only.
    We did not have fast cutting in Skyfall, thank goodness. Excellent, stellar cinematography and editing, in my opinion.

I like Glassner fine; I thought the Skyfall sets were very well done.
    We did not have fast cutting in Skyfall, thank goodness. Excellent, stellar cinematography and editing, in my opinion.

I like Glassner fine; I thought the Skyfall sets were very well done.

Glassner is fine, but don't you think we could expect more? Bond used to known for its unique production design. For years now though they have looked fairly ordinary.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Well, I like the look of the tube station setting of the temporary digs of MI6. I thought that was pretty cool. I don't have a clear picture of what you are trying to depict, Getafix. The last several Bond films do not look ordinary, like other films, to me. They still look special and more unique.

My concern is not to get too over the top - in humor or in design. I don't want another Stromberg's underwater domain. That is why I think using structures, like we are getting now in Austria, in the film automatically give it a "notch up" in cool, really amazing looking locations. I really liked the interiors and exteriors in Skyfall. SPECTRE is a different kind of Bond film, it seems to me, and it should be fun to see and feel those differences. So the production design may indeed be different, bigger, bolder or more unique, certainly more wordly I think, in this film.

I am okay with this film giving Bond some gadgets, too, especially with his car. But not a jetpack. So again, balance is key, while still pushing this one to be more fun, spectacular, and beautiful.
    I guess I won't know what it is until I see it, but I just feel Bond production design could be improved while still avoiding OTT camp stuff. Glassner's designs are fine but not fresh IMO - they feel a bit derivative. The silva glass box is a prime example - straight out of Silence of the Lambs.
    I guess I won't know what it is until I see it, but I just feel Bond production design could be improved while still avoiding OTT camp stuff. Glassner's designs are fine but not fresh IMO - they feel a bit derivative. The silva glass box is a prime example - straight out of Silence of the Lambs.

Sadly nothing will compare to Adam. There'll never be one like him again, just like there'll never be another Barry unfortunately. These were giants. So while I agree with you, I fear nothing can really compare on a detail level. Everything is likely to disappoint when looked at more critically.

As I said earlier, it might be too expensive these days to get someone with an architectural background to create a magnificent Adam style set without overuse of CGI, so I'd prefer if the don't mess it up. I think the sets in SF were quite good and somewhat of a return to form. The one thing I didn't like was the obvious use of CGI when showing Silva's HQ from the outside aerial shots, and his actual HQ which was pretty dull to me. That bugged me. What a long way we've come from the beautiful shots of Scaramanga's HQ in TMWTGG for instance.

I'd prefer the use of an existing architectural structure that has some unique characteristics, like the wikileaks building referenced earlier. That way we can avoid the crappy cgi. I'd also prefer if they spend more time on the cinematography (another area that had suffered tremendously until CR). So I'm realy looking forward to Van Hoytema's work on SP.
    Yes the CGI in SF really grated. I'd prefer a more down to earth location shot rather than elaborate CGI sets and locations. What's frustrating is that the real island exists - why not send the second unit to do some establishing shots on location and then switch to the real sets.
    Yes the CGI in SF really grated. I'd prefer a more down to earth location shot rather than elaborate CGI sets and locations. What's frustrating is that the real island exists - why not send the second unit to do some establishing shots on location and then switch to the real sets.

Very true. There might have been some reason though that we are not aware of.
    That whole bit took me out of the experience because it was obvious, ending with the crappy helicopters. If they can avoid obvious CGI in SP, I'll be a very happy man.