Nicolas Cage dreaming to be James Bond he confirmd in 2005

M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
edited June 2011 in News Posts: 4,449
30-10-05 Mi6.co.uk
Nicolas Cage angry at British typecasting of James Bond role

Hollywood actor Nicolas Cage is angry that his American nationality hindered his chance to become James Bond because he thinks the prejudice is petty and stupid - reports Contact Music.

The "Con Air" star resents the unwritten rule which states the secret spy can only be played by British actors and is devastated he will probably never get another opportunity to try for the role.

He says, "You can cast a Brit to play Bond but you can never cast an American to play him.

"I think that is totally unfair."

Cage was a "secret contender" to play 007 according to the report, but lost out to "Layer Cake" star Daniel Craig, who was announced as the official 007 #6 earlier this month.

Thanks to `JP` for the alert.

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    there has to be a god, for 2 reasons....

#1 - Nick Cage never got to be Superman..

#2 - Nick Cage never got to be James Bond
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Nick Cage is American. 'Nuff said.

I don't know about him being Kal-el back in the 90s but seriously, this man has a one way only method of acting. And Bond doesn't fit said method.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I think people repeating the same sentence "He's American" is getting tiresome and not relevant. We got very close of getting an American as James Bond in the EON franchise. If EON wants to cast an American actor that can be a convincing as a British Bond, and if the general audience doesn't care if Bond is played by American or British actors, such casting decision will be made. You have to understand that we, the hardcore Bond fans niche group, are simply not important in EON's mind. If there is a large enough demand from the general audience for an actor that happens to be American... he will be cast. No-one cares that there is a Consensus on MI6Community that Bond should be played by British actors. Bond movies were never made for us.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think people repeating the same sentence "He's American" is getting tiresome and not relevant.
    No, it isn't really relevent. A British accent is necessary, but not a British actor. Cage however, is too old and too ugly to play Bond (or Superman)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I think people repeating the same sentence "He's American" is getting tiresome and not relevant.
    No, it isn't really relevent. A British accent is necessary, but not a British actor. Cage however, is too old and too ugly to play Bond (or Superman)
    That's what I meant - if an American actor can do a credible British acccent, and can be taken as a credible British Bond, he will be cast.

i can imagine cage as Bond but i am glad they choose Craig instead
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    They damn well near cast an american with Brosnan. James Barnd, anyone? Even so, i've never been keen on Cage as an actor and i'm sure there are more suitable american actors out there, should the pool of brit talent dry up.
  • Cage isn't exactly a good actor, other than his perfomance in the two 'National Treasure' films, he is a bit un-believable as an actor...
    I find Nic Cage a one-trick pony he somehow always ends up doing Elvis impressions, he did pretty well in the Rock though, even if a certain SC was easily the best thing in that movie.

Thank God/Allah/Brahma/Visnu/Boedha/etc. he never got close to the part of 007.