Is Skyfall losing its gloss and appeal ?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Can we bin this topic now its such a random bag and everything that needed to be said in criticism and favour has been said. "There is nothing to see here, move along" lol

I've actually found it quite interesting. More so than seeing things being ranked for the umpteenth time, under ever more needless parameters. If people disagree with criticism they can counter it, or ignore it IMO.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    As long as a thread
    1. remains popular
    2. stays on topic, and
    3. Remains civil

then no real reason to close it.
    like life itself :-)
    Can we bin this topic now its such a random bag and everything that needed to be said in criticism and favour has been said. "There is nothing to see here, move along" lol
    I agree. I think SF has been bitched about enough now.

And when all said and done, although there is much to criticise in SF, there is also much to admire too, in terms of how it looks, performances, the well-meaning intentions behind the attempts at levels of drama, the calibre of talent working on the film, etc.

CR was always going to be a difficult film to live up to, mainly because it relied heavily on an entire Fleming novel, the first time this has happened since OHMSS back in 1969.

My only real gripe is that the creative team are trying to conjure up new stories, new ideas, inventing a new background to Bond, loosely based on Fleming's brief mentions on Bond's past, yet there is still so much untapped potential not used from the books.

Why not exhaust everything from the books first, before trying to come up with inventions of Bond's past? I think most fans here are in agreement that the untapped scenes, characters and stories from MR, DAF, TSWLM, YOLT and TMWTGG are far superior than anything served up from P&W and co. during the Brosnan and Craig eras, with the exception of CR, as this was adapted straight from a Fleming novel.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The producers aren't that dumb to pretend like there's nothing else to mine from Fleming's source material. I suppose they're being frustratingly conservative with what they want to use fir the time being but I'm looking increasingly forward to SPECTRE in a way I haven't felt about a Bond film since CR.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I agree. I think SF has been bitched about enough now.

And when all said and done, although there is much to criticise in SF, there is also much to admire too, in terms of how it looks, performances, the well-meaning intentions behind the attempts at levels of drama, the calibre of talent working on the film, etc.

CR was always going to be a difficult film to live up to, mainly because it relied heavily on an entire Fleming novel, the first time this has happened since OHMSS back in 1969.

My only real gripe is that the creative team are trying to conjure up new stories, new ideas, inventing a new background to Bond, loosely based on Fleming's brief mentions on Bond's past, yet there is still so much untapped potential not used from the books.

Why not exhaust everything from the books first, before trying to come up with inventions of Bond's past? I think most fans here are in agreement that the untapped scenes, characters and stories from MR, DAF, TSWLM, YOLT and TMWTGG are far superior than anything served up from P&W and co. during the Brosnan and Craig eras, with the exception of CR, as this was adapted straight from a Fleming novel.

Hi mate good comments. I think a few things led to this. 1. On rebooting with CR production knew they had to give Bonds character more depth in a move away from Bond just being action hero. 2.Mendes is a story teller 3.Dan told Barbs if he did Bond it had to be different and have more substance.

I agree there is some great Fleming ideas in the novels unseen and unused. YOLT is my favourite novel read back to back with OHMSS . Bond is human failing to deal with Traceys death and desperate for revenge basically QOS tried to go down this road and it didn't quite get there. I get what your saying one of the thing about Bond wad that he was a mystery we never knew why he behaved the way he does with women and why he put his life on the line. Since CR it's now here's Bond this is what bad shit has happened and this is why he is how he is. Some of the mystery is now lost. I was hoping Spectre would step away from Bonds back story but accept why they are going down this path.
  • RC7RC7
    I was hoping Spectre would step away from Bonds back story but accept why they are going down this path.

I was hoping so too and for that very reason I remain skeptical about SP. There are some quite disturbing ideas that can be drawn from what we know. One of them would be an insult to Fleming. I pray they don't go there.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I was hoping Spectre would step away from Bonds back story but accept why they are going down this path.

I was hoping so too and for that very reason I remain skeptical about SP. There are some quite disturbing ideas that can be drawn from what we know. One of them would be an insult to Fleming. I pray they don't go there.

EON are toying with us though. Mike G Wilson said the way the teaser trailer was done was to mislead. Spoken parts from other parts of the film were placed on footage deliberately to lead us all in to drawing conclusions. When u watch the Spectre trailer it is evident in the scene with Moneypenny and the photo the line you don't see her speaking about having a secret is clearly been dropped on the footage with the photo with the missing face.
  • RC7RC7

EON are toying with us though. Mike G Wilson said the way the teaser trailer was done was to mislead. Spoken parts from other parts of the film were placed on footage deliberately to lead us all in to drawing conclusions. When u watch the Spectre trailer it is evident in the scene with Moneypenny and the photo the line you don't see her speaking about having a secret is clearly been dropped on the footage with the photo with the missing face.

We'll see. Just because footage and dialogue is juxtaposed, doesn't mean it's misleading. Trailers aren't made to deceive, they're made to tease.

We'll see. Just because footage and dialogue is juxtaposed, doesn't mean it's misleading. Trailers aren't made to deceive, they're made to tease.

Tell that to the makers of Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness.
    Black

So I posted that just to see RC7 posts white.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2015 Posts: 28,694
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Good examples. Trailers can definitely do both the deceiving and teasing, that's for sure, especially the former when the filmmakers want to keep something about the film secret at all costs. However, I think the biggest thing trailers do nowadays is spoiling. Now you don't have to waste money to see movies, just watch the film's trailer for free and call it good. For example, I just watched a trailer recently for Jake Gyllenhaal's Southpaw, which effectively spoils most of the twists and turns of that film. Do not watch it if you're interested in seeing it, because now I no longer am.

The art of subtlety is lost on trailer makers nowadays, where studios are pushing to show all the meaty parts of the film right off the bat to ensure that butts get in seats and they get their money back and then some. They often don't realize that people would go and see these movies anyway without seeing a frame of the movie, for their directors, casts or other creators of note who are attached to it.

Good examples. Trailers can definitely do both the deceiving and teasing, that's for sure, especially the former when the filmmakers want to keep something about the film secret at all costs. However, I think the biggest thing trailers do nowadays is spoiling. Now you don't have to waste money to see movies, just watch the film's trailer for free and call it good. For example, I just watched a trailer recently for Jake Gyllenhaal's Southpaw, which effectively spoils most of the twists and turns of that film. Do not watch it if you're interested in seeing it, because now I no longer am.

The art of subtlety is lost on trailer makers nowadays, where studios are pushing to show all the meaty parts of the film right off the bat to ensure that butts get in seats and they get their money back and then some. They often don't realize that people would go and see these movies anyway without seeing a frame of the movie, for their directors, casts or other creators of note who are attached to it.

I am not so sure. I think trailers might actually have improved. I remember watching some old trailers of John Carpenter's Halloween thinking they are showing far too much of the movie.
    A lot of trailers are like that now, Ludovico. Tiny, 2-min Reader's Digest versions of the overall film -- in some cases actually showing a key money shot from the finale. I like the new Star Wars trailers (#2) which gave fans what they wanted (and then some) and we still don't really know what it's about.
  • RC7RC7
    Black

So I posted that just to see RC7 posts white.

Like I said, let's see. Even if SP shits all over Fleming, I'm sure people will have it's back because of Mendes and nice looking shots. I hope it's awesome, but there are reasons to assume this might be narratively polarising.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I agree on the Southpaw trailer. WTH were they thinking? We now know the plot points. No sense going to see that one, eh?
  • RC7RC7

Did they deceive? If you take everything at face value then yes. If you use even the most basic level of intelligence then you can probably read between the lines.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TripAces wrote: »
    I agree on the Southpaw trailer. WTH were they thinking? We now know the plot points. No sense going to see that one, eh?

Yeah, and it's a real shame too because a lot of those moments would've been shocking and disarming. I heard some movie reviewers I follow discussing just how much the trailer overshares and their consensus was that the only reason to see the film now is for Gyllenhaal's performance.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,727
    I've grown tired of this thread. So I will sum up:

* The DB5 was a poor idea and everyone agrees with that.

* Skyfall is ok but overrated.

there, thread solved :D
    Heaven knows how long the threads will be discussing how good (or bad) Spectre will be. One wrong car, one plot hole and 50 pages of discussion...all good fun
  • RC7RC7
    patb wrote: »
    Heaven knows how long the threads will be discussing how good (or bad) Spectre will be. One wrong car, one plot hole and 50 pages of discussion...all good fun

Still better than ranking things ad infinitum.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    patb wrote: »

Still better than ranking things ad infinitum.

Ker-CHIING !!! :D

At least it's proper discussion. For which a forum is meant.
    Post SP there will be plenty to discuss SF again in comparison or if the movie has really added something to the enjoyment of SF.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Quite. I'm cautious on discussing the Craig movies thus far, as, I'm hoping, they are a bigger picture - its like discussing a TV series, when you're only a few episodes in. We're seeing a gradual evolution of the Bond character, and it'll be unfair to critique it we we're only 3/5 off the way through.
    that is a very fair point, perhaps only when the "series" is complete will it be possible to make a fair judgement

The art of subtlety is lost on trailer makers nowadays, where studios are pushing to show all the meaty parts of the film right off the bat to ensure that butts get in seats and they get their money back and then some. They often don't realize that people would go and see these movies anyway without seeing a frame of the movie, for their directors, casts or other creators of note who are attached to it.[/quote]

I agree.Trailers not only show too much, there are too many! Mad Max and Avengers 2 have about four trailers each now and thats not including '' exclusive clips ''.

Look at the theatrical trailer for Alien.Its scary as hell and not one single shot of the creature itself.Thats is the best trailer ever made in my opinion.It lets you know that its going to be scary but does not give away anything crucial and does not reveal what exactly the crew of the Nostromo are up against.

Skyfalls PTS was really ruined when they show Bond getting shot off that train.The whole suspense of the chase was nixed when they show how it ended and nobody beleives that Bond would die so what was the point in showing that except to have audiences go '' Oh come on! No way hed survive that! ''.

@AstonLotus, the quantity of some movie trailers are definitely worrying. Counting up the teasers, exclusive clips, TV spots, ad snippets and official trailers, big blockbuster features could have up to a dozen different trailers running from thirty seconds to up to a minute and a half each. In the case of the Avengers, for example, people were going to see that film anyway, so why Marvel decided to share so much of the film I've no idea.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2015 Posts: 4,554

I agree.Trailers not only show too much, there are too many! Mad Max and Avengers 2 have about four trailers each now and thats not including '' exclusive clips ''.

Look at the theatrical trailer for Alien.Its scary as hell and not one single shot of the creature itself.Thats is the best trailer ever made in my opinion.It lets you know that its going to be scary but does not give away anything crucial and does not reveal what exactly the crew of the Nostromo are up against.

Skyfalls PTS was really ruined when they show Bond getting shot off that train.The whole suspense of the chase was nixed when they show how it ended and nobody beleives that Bond would die so what was the point in showing that except to have audiences go '' Oh come on! No way hed survive that! ''.

[/quote]

This is particularly true with comedies. Most of the time, I find that all of the funny parts of a comedy have already been shown in the trailer.

As for Alien: I still rate it as the scariest film I have ever seen...by a long shot. This is because I was only 11 when it came out and, not realizing the subject matter, saw it as a another chapter in the 70s sci-fi craze, despite having to sneak in. Ooops. Gulp. I about pooped my pants in that theater. I wasn't expecting it. By far the most terrifying experience I have ever had in a movie theater.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2015 Posts: 4,444
    CR trailers lie about the violence. 2th trailer of Skyfall give to much a way, whyle some things from the teaser (Park scene) and later tv spot (I think South Chinees Sea was hint for the fans) are not include in the final film. Other things like that stupid scene of Moneypenny not be include. In first place also ''Done'' not look like spoiler, in expecting that he visit Skyfall earlier/was pretitle scene of the movie or/and mabey some kind of operation. At the end ''Done'' scene was only bonus to make jokes about and amazing look of M and Tanner on there faces. But why the guy says Skyfall ???.

QOS was fresh movie til atleast the moment of over analyzing (Mabey to refreshing ?).But the trailers be great. Spectre teaser best moment are remember of Quantum.
    Guys take your SP discussions back to the all inclusive SP threads were folks like me do not wander as we DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED WITH INFO CONCERNING SPECTRE.