Bond on Bluray

edited June 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 152
I have all of the Bond films on Special Edition DVD up to DAD, but because of the great Bluray deals that are available right now, I am thinking about picking up one or two box sets.

Here are the box sets available on Bluray right now:

Dr. No
Live and Let Die
Die Another Day

From Russia with Love
Thunderball
For Your Eyes Only

Goldfinger
Moonraker
The World Is Not Enough

Does anyone else own any Bluray editions of Bond movies and how much greater is the quality compared to the Special Edition DVDs? Also, which box set(s) would you recommend that I get? What is your favorite Bluray transfer? Are there any problems with the Thunderball edition of Bluray like I've heard? Any information at all about Bond on Bluray would be great. Thanks for your help.

Comments

Every boxset is higly recommeded. I recommend you The Man With The Golden Gun and Licence To Kill too, sold separately only. The audio/video quality is amazing compared to the Ultimate Edition DVDs, it's another planet compared to your Special Edition DVDs
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 152
    Thanks for the response. I'm thinking about getting the FRWL/TB/FYEO box set and maybe also picking up LTK separately.

For anyone that has Thunderball on Bluray, is there any problem with the picture and if there is, how noticable is it? I was reading some reviews that said there were thin white verticle lines that ran across the screen in a lot of the movie.
    The difference between the blu-ray and the SE editions is a whole new world especially with DN,FRWL,GF and TB. I don't notice such a profound difference between blu-ray and UE dvd though. UE really brought these early films to life as well but blu-ray ups the ante even further. I've got all 13 Bond blu-rays. They all look great. No complaints about TB. The movie that Hi-def really exploits the best I think is DN. It looks incredible, especially all the outdoor stuff on No's island and No' s lair. What I am really looking forward to next year are YOLT, OHMSS and DAF on blu-ray, assuming they are released, along with the 6 newer films
    I skipped the whole UE releases so I don't mind paying to upgrade everything from SE to blu-ray.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    Getting Set #2 and LTK would give you the best films on average. Maybe pick up the two other Connery Bond's on their own as well.

Me? I'm waiting for everything to be out. This trickle (and now halted) release is for the birds.
  • I'm just hanging out for a complete box-set. Here in Australia the releases are a mess. On the spine of the case, some have a picture of Bond at the bottom other have him in a little box on the top, very inconsistent and messy.
    Get them. I have all the available Bond Blu Rays and now I have trouble going back and watching the ones that are not available on the UE DVD.

As far as the line on TB, if I recall it is only in one scene and it is also on the DVDs. It is just that the resolution is so much better on the Blu Ray that the line is more noticeable.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 152
    Thanks for all of the help guys! I'm going to be picking up the GF/MR/TWINE and FRWL/TB/FYEO box sets along with License to Kill all for under $50, which I think is a pretty good deal.

I can't wait to watch them all. I have only seen FRWL twice and LTK once, so there still is a lot of mystery surrounding those films for me and I should be in for a good treat.
    Another advantange of the blu-ray discs compared with the UE is that there isn't any trailer before the menu and this one is much more fast.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I had the Special Edition for a long time - until I decided to buy one Ultimate Edition to see the difference - when I saw that the UE were all starting with a trailer that took an eternity to end, I skipped the UE. But of course I bought the Blu Ray as they came out - along with a big HD TV !! :-bd I can't watch any movies at home on any other support but this amazing TV !! :-bd
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Getting Set #2 and LTK would give you the best films on average. Maybe pick up the two other Connery Bond's on their own as well.

Me? I'm waiting for everything to be out. This trickle (and now halted) release is for the birds.
    And can you believe they came out 2008 and 2009, quite a long time ago now.

Nice to see you @Tubes!
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    I've bought CR and QOS on Blu - but I'm holding back for the inevitable definitive box set that's bound to hit the shops next year. To be honest I'm not overly impressed with the picture quality of Blu. The difference between Blu and 1080p upscaled DVD is at best slight.
    I've bought CR and QOS on Blu - but I'm holding back for the inevitable definitive box set that's bound to hit the shops next year. To be honest I'm not overly impressed with the picture quality of Blu. The difference between Blu and 1080p upscaled DVD is at best slight.
    blu-ray hasn't blown me away either but one advantage to a blu-ray set up, is that regular dvd's look so much better, even the home burns that friends loan me from time to time.
    DN blu-ray is real good but not leaps and bounds better than DN UE.
    I think DN UE and blu-ray though are both way better than DN SE. UE cleaned it up real nice with the digital restoration and blu-ray takes it up another little notch.

blu-ray hasn't blown me away either but one advantage to a blu-ray set up, is that regular dvd's look so much better, even the home burns that friends loan me from time to time.
    DN blu-ray is real good but not leaps and bounds better than DN UE.
    I think DN UE and blu-ray though are both way better than DN SE. UE cleaned it up real nice with the digital restoration and blu-ray takes it up another little notch.

I can sort of agree but to me the increased clarity, that is only a moderate improvement over a DVD's, makes it feel more like watching a film print rather than a disc. However, DVD's can look great upconverted and feel close to a film print if they are mastered properly but DVD's seem to be more inconsistent in this department. I own all of the Bonds that are available with the exception of Moonraker and I feel that the improvement over the UE's while slight is more than worth it but there is a night and day difference between the SE's and Blu-ray. I urge anyone with a HDTV and the SE Bond's to upgrade immediately because of these great sale prices.

• It's good to hear that the Bluray versions are such a big upgrade over the SE DVDs. I never owned any of the UE DVDs so I don't know how much of an improvement they are from the SE's, but the difference from SE to Bluray should be huge. I thought it was amazing value to get a boxset for only $19.99 and I don't think the price for a boxset could ever possibly be lower than that so I had to take advantage of this deal.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    I certainly agree that a Blu Ray player is worth having for the DVD upscaling alone. I watched Sir Sean's classic film 'The Molly Maguires' on upscaled DVD the other week and the picture quality was stunning - easily a match for anything I've seen on Blu.
    Yep, the dvd upscaling is a huge bonus. All my dvds look so much better now.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    How does a UE DVD upscaling look compared to say the Blu-ray of any one Bond film?