Most Saddening and Disturbing Death (SPOILERS)

13»

Comments

• XXXXXX Banned
    edited March 2014 Posts: 132
    MI6. when it got blown up in Skyfall, that was shocking. Did Bond speak at the funeral? All of it the death, yes CPU enchanced but, just to get the attention of Mommy M. Senseless..... what do you say about a man like that? I'll strike your plaque from the building wall. Who died we dont know.
    I've always found Mishkin's death disturbing. Shot right in the throat. Awful.
    Kerim's death, as many have already mentioned, is always hard to sit through. One that I feel is overlooked is the death of Quarrel- despite being involved with the CIA in Jamaica, he really was a bystander in the grand scheme of things, and wow, what an excruciating way to die. The only compensation is Bond's line to Dr. No when he says, "And my first order of business is to find the man who killed Quarrel", or something along those lines. Another tough one for me is Sir Godfrey Tibbet; Zorin truly was heartless to eliminate such a grandfatherly figure like him. It's easy to miss, but in AVTAK, there are 3 ally deaths- 3! I think that might be the ally death record of all Bond movies- Tibbett, Chuck Lee, and Aubergine all get killed by May Day.
  • I think the way Our Man finds Della Leiter dead in Licence To Kill is absolutely bloody horrible. Especially cause of what the bad guys probably did to her before they killed her. Really, really nasty.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 512
    Double Post.
  • The death of Severine gives me all the joy of watching some real-life beheading on the internet. Vile, esp as Bond had acted all urgent, saying he could save her. Repugnant. Still, lends irony to Bond's 'Someone usually dies' comment.

Otherwise, yeah, Mathis esp as big shot of Omega product placement in frame, not to mention the enusing confusion as to whether he was a double agent or not. Still, irony in that he is in the boot of a car, just as he framed Le Chiffre's men in CR. So, some smart touches but not the kind I enjoy, I prefer a better surface narrative over clever subtext.
    The death of Severine gives me all the joy of watching some real-life beheading on the internet. Vile, esp as Bond had acted all urgent, saying he could save her. Repugnant. Still, lends irony to Bond's 'Someone usually dies' comment.

Otherwise, yeah, Mathis esp as big shot of Omega product placement in frame, not to mention the enusing confusion as to whether he was a double agent or not. Still, irony in that he is in the boot of a car, just as he framed Le Chiffre's men in CR. So, some smart touches but not the kind I enjoy, I prefer a better surface narrative over clever subtext.

Fleming's Bond was perpetually guilt-stricken because of blood he felt was on his hands. In that respect, Severine's death was in perfect keeping with the man who started it all.

• Yes, yes, because Craig's Bond seems really guilt-stricken about it doesn't he?
    Yes, yes, because Craig's Bond seems really guilt-stricken about it doesn't he?

Well, he doesn't go mooning around like some hipster who's lost his Xanax. That said, it's obvious by how he makes the scotch remark that he's pretty shaken up. Too bad so many people pay attention to his words without heeding how they were delivered along with his facial expression.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited March 2014 Posts: 2,629
    1. Kerim: Glad that didn't happen for real
    2. Tracy: Easily the most emotional as she finally found happiness.
    3. Vesper: She betrayed him, but still, a very tragic suicide.
    4. Della: Not a good way to spend your honeymoooooon.
    5. Mathis: First wrongfully accused and then thrown in the dumpster
    6. Aki: If she had only rolled the other way.
    7. Sir Godfrey: Great chemistry with Roger. As Mathis would have said, just because one is dead doesn't mean one still can't be useful.
    8. Saunders: Just as he was finally turning the corner on Bond, he gets the message.
    9. Corrine: Should have taken the golf cart.
    10. Andrea: Cruel that she had to go to the kick boxing match after she was shot.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2014 Posts: 28,694

Well, he doesn't go mooning around like some hipster who's lost his Xanax. That said, it's obvious by how he makes the scotch remark that he's pretty shaken up. Too bad so many people pay attention to his words without heeding how they were delivered along with his facial expression.

Exactly. I interpret that scene as a sequel to Bond's verbal battle with Silva when they first meet inside his server room. Bond is obviously not pleased by Severine's death, and his remark about the scotch is his attempt to make it seem like Silva's psychotically unpredictable antics had no effect on him whatsoever. Most of their battles aren't physical at all, and usually amount to them trying to one-up each other. When they first met, Silva made a play at Bond and tried to make him uncomfortable when he touched his knees, so 007 countered with the "first time" line to get him back. The scotch scene is more of the same.

I've actually seen comments from people who truly think Bond was being serious about the scotch line, believe it or not.

Exactly. I interpret that scene as a sequel to Bond's verbal battle with Silva when they first meet inside his server room. Bond is obviously not pleased by Severine's death, and his remark about the scotch is his attempt to make it seem like Silva's psychotically unpredictable antics had no effect on him whatsoever. Most of their battles aren't physical at all, and usually amount to them trying to one-up each other. When they first met, Silva made a play at Bond and tried to make him uncomfortable when he touched his knees, so 007 countered with the "first time" line to get him back. The scotch scene is more of the same.

I've actually seen comments from people who truly think Bond was being serious about the scotch line, believe it or not.

Agreed. When people aren't being dashedly literal-minded, they're teasing out the most tendentious "subtexts" to support their own wishes. SF has suffered from the most amateurish film criticism on this board.