Question about Dr. No scene

edited December 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 317
After Bond and Honey have been captured by Dr. No and summoned to finally meet the great criminal mastermind, James catches a glance of a curious painting. I have to admit I have no idea who this is supposed to be, any ideas ?

http://screenmusings.org/DrNo/images/DN_505.jpg

Comments

• edited December 2013 Posts: 97
    That's Goya's portrait of the Duke of Wellington. The painting was stolen in 1960 and to the best of my knowledge has never been found since. Quite the news item in it's day.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That's Goya's portrait of the Duke of Wellington. The painting was stolen in 1960 and to the best of my knowledge has never been found since. Quite the news item in it's day.

Yes, and it was the filmmakers' way of poking fun at the theft, hence why Bond looks so taken aback when it meets his gaze.

Before clicking on this thread I thought the question would be aimed at the scene where Dr. No walks into Bond's room, stares at him, lifts the sheet and then leaves.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Some history about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_of_the_Duke_of_Wellington_(Goya) It was recovered.

But this one is still missing, if you know what I mean... ;)
    moderne_theft_0510_04.jpg

Yes, and it was the filmmakers' way of poking fun at the theft, hence why Bond looks so taken aback when it meets his gaze.

Before clicking on this thread I thought the question would be aimed at the scene where Dr. No walks into Bond's room, stares at him, lifts the sheet and then leaves.

Such a brilliant scene, from book and film. I wonder about its meaning too, although I do think it is Oedipal.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:

Such a brilliant scene, from book and film. I wonder about its meaning too, although I do think it is Oedipal.

I've always thought that it was simply Dr. No's way of sizing up his enemy, James Bond, in an environment where Bond would not know he was doing so. And yes, it is a great scene, and perhaps I have not read enough into it!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
This discussion has been closed.