What does MoneyPenny really do to help James?

edited May 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 2
Hi all,

I'm trying to list in which way Moneypenny contributes in helping James to succeed in his mission.
The wole purpose is to show that even a hero needs a PA (even if she is M's secretary)

I'm wondering if you can help me more as what I've been collecting so far?
Anything you can add would be great !

Much thanks for your help!

Cheers!

Right now I have listed only these tasks:

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
MoneyPenny plays the mediator between M and Bond.

"Thunderball"

She conveys the information in which the poker with a red square with a spike through it is a tong sign: The Red Dragon from Macao.

“Diamonds Are Forever”
She has arrange for bond to have a new passport to his trip to Holland.
Moneypenny: "Mr. Franks, your passport is quite in order...."

“The Living Daylights“
MoneyPenny informs that the sniper turns out to be Kara Milovy

"You Only Live Twice"
Do you agree that she has contribute in setting-up a password as in she says "we tried to think" ? see as below dialogue:

M: Moneypenny, give 007 the password we've fixed up with SIS.

Moneypenny: We tried to think of something you wouldn't forget.

Bond: And that is?

Moneypenny: 'I love you.' Please repeat it to make sure you've got it.

Bond: Don't worry. I've got it.

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    She warns Bond when M is angry - I wouldn't want to enter the room not knowing I would receive a bollocking from Bernard Lee !!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    She covers for Bond when Agent Caruso hid in the closet in LALD.

She asked Q to help Bond go after Sanchez in LTK.

And she gave Bond a better office viewing option in OP.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    In TMWTGG she proves she's better than a computer by knowing the necessary information about Bill Fairbanks.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    she gets him all hot and bothered so he is distracted and he cant keep his mind on the mission
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    she gets him all hot and bothered so he is distracted and he cant keep his mind on the mission
    No she doesn't :-?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    How many Bond films have you actually seen?

:L
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended

all 22 of them, each one about 100x!!

and I've seen all 22 of them in the movie theater before I saw them on home video!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

and I've seen all 22 of them in the movie theater before I saw them on home video!
    And Oi'm Arrnold Parrrrrmer.

No, seriously if you have seen all the Bonds in the theatre then we bow to you. I have certainly seen most of them in the theatres but missed out on a few (TMWTGG, DN and TB spring to mind).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Respect! :/

However, the idea that MP gets Bond hot is pushing things beyond the reasonable. I think we can clearly see in the film that she amuses Bond, but little else.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited May 2011 Posts: 823
    Dr. No to The Man With The Golden Gun I saw in theaters in Roma and Milano, Italia but not when they were released; I wasn't born til 1965 so I was too young to go to the movies on my own, then.

Dad took us to see those Bond films in Italian 2nd run theaters.

I still remember Dad taking us to the movie theater 4 days in a row to see Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and Thunderball - they had a Bond marathon and it was one film a day.

My Dad was a diplomat in the Italian Embassy; he didn't make much money but for him to take us to the movies like that, it was a big treat for us.

We didn't go to the movies much back then.

That was my introduction to the Bond films!!

My brother and I would play with an old briefcase Dad had and we pretend it was the Bond briefcase.

By the time The Spy Who Loved Me was released, I was old enough to go to the movies by myself and I saw that Bond film and every Bond film since the exact week it was released.

The Spy Who Loved Me was the last Bond film I watched in an Italian theater; we emigrated to the United States two weeks after the movie was released in Italia.

My Dad is still alive and well and ever since A View To A Kill, I've been taking him to see a Bond film the same week it's released.
  • First of all I'd like to thank you for your contribution, you've been a great help!

I have forgotten "Diamonds Are Forever", in which Moneypenny disguises herself as a customs agent to help send Bond on his mission.

Message to DaltonCraig007
    Would you mind letting me know in which movie Moneypenny warns Bond when M is angry? Thanks

Message to Kerim
    Would you please confirm that OP stands: "operation nightfire" Am I correct ? Thanks
  • Moneypenny is like the office fluffer. She gets everyone pumped up and excited for the day's mission and gives a proper send off for James upon exiting M's door. She arranges all his travels, flirts shamelessly with him... the real question should be, what doesn't Moneypenny do?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    A very great experience with your father j7. Thanks for your cinema experience.
    TB- informs Bond about Count Lippe's Chinese Tong tattoo
    OHMSS- keeps Bond from resigning
    LALD- saves Bond from receiving a lecture and/or possible punishment from M for keeping Miss Caruso at his house
    TMWTGG- informs Bond about Saida and Bill Fairbanks 002, which happens to be the starting point of the entire mission
    TLD- helps Bond figure out that Kara Milovy was the sniper
    LTK- brings Q into Isthmus City to help Bond
    TWINE- keeps the secret of Bond and Dr. Warmflesh hidden from M
    DAD- GETS SHOT!! (virtual reality, but nonetheless really funny!)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    OP is Octopussy I believe.
    In general, Moneypenny is a great gobetween, someone who is always on his side, and I feel he is a little attracted to her and definitely fond of her (just not a strong sexual pull). Friendship, bantering, etc.
    She buffers him when you can in small ways from M when needed and in general, as any good PA or secretary whatever term you want to use, is part of the oil in the machinery that keeps the system running smoothly. She passes on critical or helpful information to him as soon as she can. Bond can depend on her.
    OP is Octopussy I believe.
    In general, Moneypenny is a great gobetween, someone who is always on his side, and I feel he is a little attracted to her and definitely fond of her (just not a strong sexual pull). Friendship, bantering, etc.
    She buffers him when you can in small ways from M when needed and in general, as any good PA or secretary whatever term you want to use, is part of the oil in the machinery that keeps the system running smoothly. She passes on critical or helpful information to him as soon as she can. Bond can depend on her.

Yes, I agree. Moneypenny offers some human warmth and empathy in a dangerous and hard world. Bond can - in the limited way he does - let his guard down with her and have a joke and a laugh.