Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    DrGorner wrote: »
    If Disney ever win the rights, I'm certain we'll see Bond and Bond Jr. :D
    Although, I'm not a fan of the idea, hell I don't even like Robin working
    With Batman !

If Disney ever wins the right to Bond maybe we'll see a film adaptation of Never Send Flowers too. :D

The day I finally give up on the world and call Dignitas.

You would be first in line at your local cinema. Don't lie, Wiz!

Dear oh dear Draggers. I really think it is about time you sought psychological help for your unhealthy NSF obsession. You are normally reasonably spot on about most things Bond which makes it all the more tragic as to why you consider this turgid tome as half decent amongst even Gardner's efforts. Without reading them all again I think theres only Seafire and probably Cold that stand out in my memory as being worse. And I remember at least one or two of Bensons being better. Probably still better than Devil May Care in fairness.

Please tell me you dont rate it over any of the Flemings?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2015 Posts: 17,804
    DrGorner wrote: »
    If Disney ever win the rights, I'm certain we'll see Bond and Bond Jr. :D
    Although, I'm not a fan of the idea, hell I don't even like Robin working
    With Batman !

If Disney ever wins the right to Bond maybe we'll see a film adaptation of Never Send Flowers too. :D

The day I finally give up on the world and call Dignitas.

You would be first in line at your local cinema. Don't lie, Wiz!

Dear oh dear Draggers. I really think it is about time you sought psychological help for your unhealthy NSF obsession. You are normally reasonably spot on about most things Bond which makes it all the more tragic as to why you consider this turgid tome as half decent amongst even Gardner's efforts. Without reading them all again I think theres only Seafire and probably Cold that stand out in my memory as being worse. And I remember at least one or two of Bensons being better. Probably still better than Devil May Care in fairness.

Please tell me you dont rate it over any of the Flemings?

No, you'll be relieved to hear that I don't rate any continuation novel over the original Fleming Bond novels. I rate Colonel Sun as the best of the continuations, too, I might add.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    I agree with Ludovico. Had Fleming wanted to deal with the son, TMWTGG would have dealt with it. That Benson felt the need to do what Fleming obviously would not felt unnatural and forced. Not a good story.

When television series featuring unattached couples finally marry them off and bless them with children, it usually spells the end of the series. Bond as husband and father would destroy everything Bond.

The beauty about Bond's son is that he remains a lose end. His fate is most likely the one of a simple Japanese fisherman. Bond is a solitary: he affects other people's lives without staying in theirs. It speaks a lot of the character that he is unaware of his descendent. As if it happened to his Japanese simpleton alter ego. In a way it did.
    Hands down my favorite Bond novel so far. I love the kind of fantasy atmosphere with the castle and the garden of Death. Very different kind of follow up too OHMSS, but really, really great anyway.
    And here (belatedly) is that updated version of my article on Blofeld's madness in the Garden of Death in YOLT:

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/the-madness-of-king-ernst-i-in-ian.html
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Good job, Mr McKaig. Not long since I reread that very book.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 17,804
    ^ Thanks, friend! Glad you liked it! :)