Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    As with AVTAK QoS touched a topic that was well known in the business world but maybe less so to the general public. In several smaller states the water has been in the hands of some rich families for quite some time now. Especially on Islands with few sources. Contaminated water has been a problem in many parts of the world for decades now, making drinking water more expensive and those who control it rich. Those big corporations are even a bit slow on the uptake.. ;-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, I think that QoS was rather prophetic. I'd really like to write a book about QoS on the context of the plot and the many overlooked aspects of the film, especially to do with inspirations for the plot.
    If you had said "pathetic" then I would certainly have agreed :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Yes, I think that QoS was rather prophetic. I'd really like to write a book about QoS on the context of the plot and the many overlooked aspects of the film, especially to do with inspirations for the plot.

Please do! I for one would be very interested in reading your thoughts and ideas.
    Not so much prophetic as very topical. One of my friends who is an army officer and had never seen the film mentioned back in 2008 in one of our covnersations the control of water as one of the big geopolitical and economical sources of conflict in the near future.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Please do! I for one would be very interested in reading your thoughts and ideas.

I shall try it, but I have so much blog writing to do first. I think that QoS could benefit from a film book of its own as it is verry underappreciated as a James Bond film.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 2,483
    nm
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Not so much prophetic as very topical. One of my friends who is an army officer and had never seen the film mentioned back in 2008 in one of our covnersations the control of water as one of the big geopolitical and economical sources of conflict in the near future.

Exactly. This problem already existed when QOS was written, but it was not on major media radar screens.

Ludovico wrote:

Exactly. This problem already existed when QOS was written, but it was not on major media radar screens.

Exactly. This is why an in-depth book on the film is more necessary than ever to contextualise these hidden aspects of the film.
    Ludovico wrote:

Still, it is one of the good sides of QOS, I think. The scheme is a proper large-scale Bond villain scheme AND believable.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Still, it is one of the good sides of QOS, I think. The scheme is a proper large-scale Bond villain scheme AND believable.

Yes, exactly. I liked QoS and I like how we get to see real-world geopolitical villainy at work in a realistic plot that has precedence in Bolovia itself in the year 2000. I also liked how we saw how the ordinary poor people of Bolivia were affected with no water coming out of their taps - a little bit akin to the before and after shots of the fisherman in the boat in AVTAK, in fact, though with more of a swocial imagery link. Bond and Camille walking through the native population of Bolivia also recalled the similar scene in LALD showing the poverty of the ordinary peoples of San Monique just before Bond and Solitaire go on the double-decker bus. I think there are many hidden qualties like this in QoS. It references many of the classic Bond films that came before in my view.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 2,483
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yep. I've got issues with QOS, but the macro-plot is not among them.

• retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    And it's not just in third or second world countries. Nestle has been stealing - well not stealing just taking with permission - water from BC for years and selling it back to the folks who live in the area from which the water comes. Only they haven't done anything to the perfect BC water but wrap it in plastic garbage.

It's more expensive in Hope, BC to buy a litre of water than it is to buy a litre of petrol.

So my question to those in first world countries is WHY!? Why the (*&# is anyone buying water when tap water is safer and just as good as any of the bottled waters. It's such a racket.

*shakes head*
    retrokitty wrote:
    And it's not just in third or second world countries. Nestle has been stealing - well not stealing just taking with permission - water from BC for years and selling it back to the folks who live in the area from which the water comes. Only they haven't done anything to the perfect BC water but wrap it in plastic garbage.

It's more expensive in Hope, BC to buy a litre of water than it is to buy a litre of petrol.

So my question to those in first world countries is WHY!? Why the (*&# is anyone buying water when tap water is safer and just as good as any of the bottled waters. It's such a racket.

*shakes head*

Yes, it's a con indeed. Just look at the budgets for bottled water in Parliamentary Select Committees and that used by the EU for starters. The EU had a partially poisoned water supply some years ago from a water cooler machine in fact. I remember reading that a few years back. It really is a scandal, especially as the water in the tap is often just as good, if not better!
  • retrokitty wrote:

*shakes head*

I don't know either. Stupidity and trendiness--they often go hand-in-glove--are the only explanations I can think of.

Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yep. I've got issues with QOS, but the macro-plot is not among them.

I often read here that the water plot should have been ditched from QOS. It would have seriously weakened the movie and Quantum: the organisation would only be running away from Bond and always on the defensive.