Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    latest?cb=20131210052317

Better? ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Much better. Impressive muscle tone.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Quite!
    Watched Spectre again.
    So much promise but Sam Mendes and his Henchmen screw it up with stupid mistakes everyone whose seen it , especially bond fans, knows about already.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Pam is certainly attractive in LTK but I don't think her performance is all that great.

Acting-wise Scorrupco blows her out of the water in GE.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I love Pam's hand gestures, when she orders vodka martini "shaken, not stirred". She can shake and stir me all she wants ;)

388?cb=20140531035701&path-prefix=protagonist

Not a very sexy face
    :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't think Scorupco was all that, in GE, anyway. Replacing Pierce with Tim, would fix only so much of the problems with GE. The rest would have to be done individually.
    She's really good in the role and definitely one of the best aspects of the film. I believe her as a character and buy her vulnerability. Though she did get a few dodgy lines here and there.

Funnily enough the one person in the supporting cast I'm less sure about now is Mr. Bean.
    This is as close to perfection as humanly possible imho:
    tumblr_lqngzteB9m1qetlb0o1_500.jpg
    bondjames wrote: »

So beautiful. Love the look of European women.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    She's really good in the role and definitely one of the best aspects of the film. I believe her as a character and buy her vulnerability.

On the Bond Girl spectrum, she's on the dull side.
    Funnily enough the one person in the supporting cast I'm less sure about now is Mr. Bean.

I think Bean is very good as Trevelyan, but the sloppy way he is written just doesn't make sense. Bean simply isn't old enough to have been around during WW2, even being of an age where he wouldn't remember it. Likely a hold over from the older written Trevelyan,, but someone should have picked up on that before filming.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I assume you mean Izabella? ;)
    She's really good in the role and definitely one of the best aspects of the film. I believe her as a character and buy her vulnerability.

I think Bean is very good as Trevelyan, but the sloppy way he is written just doesn't make sense. Bean simply isn't old enough to have been around during WW2, even being of an age where he wouldn't remember it. Likely a hold over from the older written Trevelyan,, but someone should have picked up on that before filming.

I like Bean sometimes in the film (he's at his best in the graveyard scene where you really feel his hatred towards Bond), but I think he overplays things a bit occasionally (watch the weird movements he does with his mouth).

"Good for Bond, bad for you"
    jake24 wrote: »
    I assume you mean Izabella? ;)
    Yes, of course. I knew that was coming when I posted this photo, but I thought Thundy would be the one to call it out. Nice one.

The great thing about Scorupco in GE is that they went out of their way to make her look Plain Jane, and yet her natural beauty just shone through (to me anyway). Quite the opposite from Halle, who was basically going out of her way to showcase her beauty on screen (which is formidable too no doubt).
    I remember Scorrupco once being described in a newspaper review as having an "Ingrid Bergman" quality, which I think is fairly accurate.
    I remember Scorrupco once being described in a newspaper review as having an "Ingrid Bergman" quality, which I think is fairly accurate.
    Another Swede (although Scorupco is originally Polish I believe) with that cool quality is Rebecca Ferguson of MI-RN fame (imho).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,692
    @bondjames Good that Bond got to Scoccupco first, as I'm sure Tom Cruise would have casted her in an 'M:I' film around 10/15 years ago. I read that Cruise is responsible for getting Ferguson in Rogue Nation, so I have no doubt Cruise would have his sights on Izabella if she wasn't in GE. Cruise sure knows his stuff in action scenes and female casting (Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow - stroke of genius).
    Cruise certainly has an eye for quality @DaltonCraig007.

We have Campbell to thanks for this. He did it again in 2006 with Eva and Caterina, just as he had 11 years earlier with Izabela and Famke.
    Another Swede (although Scorupco is originally Polish I believe) with that cool quality is Rebecca Ferguson of MI-RN fame (imho).

Yes she is. A Polish woman I used to work with told me how excited local people were in 1995 that "one of their own" was in a Bond film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames

Scorrupco and Janssen 20 years after GE:

201410301046332780856637_sbig.jpg
    522929030-e1461486432414.jpg?w=748&h=441&crop=1

Eva Green and Caterina Murino 10 years after CR:

Eva-Green-2015-Wallpapers.jpg
    image.jpg
    There's something about Campbell's women. They've all aged impeccably.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @bondjames

Scorrupco and Janssen 20 years after GE:

201410301046332780856637_sbig.jpg
    522929030-e1461486432414.jpg?w=748&h=441&crop=1

Eva Green and Caterina Murino 10 years after CR:

Eva-Green-2015-Wallpapers.jpg
    image.jpg
    Still stunning, & they all have an air of mystery to them too. Perfect for the genre.
    Birdleson wrote: »

I have to agree. I also find her somewhat irritating.
    I could have done without the tiresome speech on the beach. That's probably Babs though.

QOS. This film really, really gets my heart pumping now. From the extremely intense PTS, Craig delivers a totally badass performance as Bond. All the action scenes are very thrilling - I love the Sienna foot chase, the Slate fight, the boat chase, the Opera sequence, the plane chase, the elevator fight and the axe fight. Arnold gives us a killer soundtrack, and in the quiet scenes, the film is gorgeous to look at, especially during the scene at Mathis' villa - the film really has an epic scope. The globetrotting helps too - Sienna, Haiti, Russia, Bolivia, Austria, London). This year, QOS has cemented itself as my most rewatchable Bond film. I just love watching a stone cold Daniel Craig traveling around the world and demolishing tons of bad guys.
    QOS. This film really, really gets my heart pumping now. From the extremely intense PTS, Craig delivers a totally badass performance as Bond. All the action scenes are very thrilling - I love the Sienna foot chase, the Slate fight, the boat chase, the Opera sequence, the plane chase, the elevator fight and the axe fight. Arnold gives us a killer soundtrack, and in the quiet scenes, the film is gorgeous to look at, especially during the scene at Mathis' villa - the film really has an epic scope. The globetrotting helps too - Sienna, Haiti, Russia, Bolivia, Austria, London). This year, QOS has cemented itself as my most rewatchable Bond film. I just love watching a stone cold Daniel Craig traveling around the world and demolishing tons of bad guys.

Pity all those action scenes are ruined by horrible editing.The film was just trying too hard to be Bourne.

Birdleson wrote: »
    I think there is some wonderful editing in QOS. The fight among the ropes between Bond and Mitchell (apart from the initial CGI enhanced fall) is crafted superbly. The timing and cutting is pitch perfect.

Yeah that wasnt bad but the editing at the start of the fight/chase as Mitchell kills the agents is absolutley atrocious editing.its almost impossible to make out what just happened.Also the editing at the start of the PTS is very bad,barely any shot lasts more than one second.I also could not understand what happened during the end of the boat chase first time i watched it.

I think the fast editing sometimes works but sometimes doesn't. Mainly it doesn't.

Am not a big fan of the opening car chase. As I've said before, the way its cut feels like a trailer or high-budget television ad rather than a proper chase sequence.

The hand-to-hand fight with Mitchell as well as the fight with Slate are the examples where it works best.

The boat chase is the worst example. Horribly over-edited and subsequently not exciting..

The editing was atrocious in QOS, from start to finish. Why bother letting me see what it going on, when they can cut several time in one second. If wanted me to not see what was going on, then I would simply turn off my tv.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    She's really good in the role and definitely one of the best aspects of the film. I believe her as a character and buy her vulnerability. Though she did get a few dodgy lines here and there.

I agree with you on Natalya. She is by far and a way the best leading lady of the Brosnan era. As far as a character goes she is important to the plot - by actually impacting on it in a significant way (you'd be surprised at how few of the leading ladies do.) She is smart, determined, resourceful and principled.

The last couple of times I watched GE I was actually impressed with her and I think Scorpucco is underrated as an actress. She's no oscar winner, but she's believable and her performance isn't as self-consciously affected as many of the established actresses of this era like Hatcher, Richards or Berry. Natalya's introduction scene is one of the few times a leading lady gets a significant scene away from bond.

But Melina Havelock is a good comparison because both the FYEO and GE scenes are massacres that start by showing a life for these women away from Bond and provides motivation and dedication for them due to the events they depict. And it shows these events rather than just tells us about them (like in the case of Stacey Sutton, Camille or Madeline). These are scenes that aren't arbitrary either - they have to do with the plot that involves Bond - but he's just not on screen and it gives someone else a chance to shine.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,692
    I decided to have a @MajorDSmythe certified double-bill, by going with TLD and TND. Simple stunning. 2 of my favorite soundtracks, 2 badass performances from Dalton and Brosnan. Lots of epic action scenes - both PTS', both car chases, the Necros vs Green Four fight, Necros vs Bond fight, stealth-boat climax, Hamburg break in/break out, motorcycle chase, Pushkin interrogation... I really liked the contrast between a down-to-earth cold war thriller and the slick non-stop 1990's action flick. Both films have really cool scenes with Q - the one in TND is one of my favorite Q scenes. Watching these films is a total blast. As I grow older I am a bigger and bigger fan of Dalton and Brosnan, 2 total badasses.
    I decided to have a @MajorDSmythe certified double-bill, by going with TLD and TND. Simple stunning. 2 of my favorite soundtracks, 2 badass performances from Dalton and Brosnan. Lots of epic action scenes - both PTS', both car chases, the Necros vs Green Four fight, Necros vs Bond fight, stealth-boat climax, Hamburg break in/break out, motorcycle chase... I really liked the contrast between a down-to-earth cold war thriller and the slick non-stop 1990's action flick. Both films have really cool scenes with Q - the one in TND is one of my favorite Q scenes. Watching these films is a total blast. As I grow older I am a bigger and bigger fan of Dalton and Brosnan, 2 total badasses.

I'm MajorDSmythe, and I approve of this post. :-bd
    I decided to have a @MajorDSmythe certified double-bill, by going with TLD and TND. Simple stunning. 2 of my favorite soundtracks, 2 badass performances from Dalton and Brosnan. Lots of epic action scenes - both PTS', both car chases, the Necros vs Green Four fight, Necros vs Bond fight, stealth-boat climax, Hamburg break in/break out, motorcycle chase, Pushkin interrogation... I really liked the contrast between a down-to-earth cold war thriller and the slick non-stop 1990's action flick. Both films have really cool scenes with Q - the one in TND is one of my favorite Q scenes. Watching these films is a total blast. As I grow older I am a bigger and bigger fan of Dalton and Brosnan, 2 total badasses.

2 excellent choices! I'm finishing up TLD now and watched TND recently. I should have paired them!