Any fans of the Sax Rohmer Fu Manchu novels?

edited September 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 686
Next to read Fleming (who was influenced by Rohmer) I really enjoy the Fu Manchu novels. the earlier ones are difficult to read, but the ones after 1930 are a joy. I have seen the movie with Boris Karloff as Fu Manchu but I have yet to see the ones with Christopher Lee.

I am not really interested in any discuss of racism, I think the whole issue of whether Rohmer was anti-Asian has been overblown. I would love to see some one make a serious Fu Manchu movie.

any thoughts?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'd be interested in collecting and reading them, certainly. There was a very good thread on this over on AJB back in 2010 if you want to look it up.

Could you provide us with a complete list of all of the Sax Rohmer Fu Manchu books and the continuations as well as a list of all of the film versions, @Perdogg? Thanks.
  • The Fu-Manchu Series
    * New Titan trade paperback edition available now!

01. The Mystery of Dr. Fu-Manchu ( a.k.a. The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu ) *
    02. The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu *
    03. The Hand of Dr. Fu-Manchu *
    04. Daughter of Fu-Manchu *
    05. The Mask of Fu-Manchu *
    06. The Bride of Fu-Manchu *
    07. The Trail of Fu-Manchu *
    08. President Fu-Manchu
    09. The Drums of Fu-Manchu
    10. The Island of Fu-Manchu
    11. The Shadow of Fu-Manchu
    12. Re-Enter Fu-Manchu
    13. Emperor Fu-Manchu
    14. The Wrath of Fu-Manchu

CraterGuns wrote:
    The Fu-Manchu Series

08. President Fu-Manchu
    09. The Drums of Fu-Manchu
    12. Re-Enter Fu-Manchu
    13. Emperor Fu-Manchu
    14. The Wrath of Fu-Manchu

Thank you very much for the list, @CraterGuns.
    I've watched the spoof with Peter Seller which was awful and the first one with Christopher Lee, which was bad too, but at least there was Lee in it. Who did not look Chinese, but he was fittingly malevolent.
    My favorite movie would be The mask of Fu Manchu with Boris Karloff and Myrna Loy. And indeed the books have recently been re-issued and Amazon had a lot to do with that publishing.
    SaintMark wrote:
    My favorite movie would be The mask of Fu Manchu with Boris Karloff and Myrna Loy. And indeed the books have recently been re-issued and Amazon had a lot to do with that publishing.

So it seems that Amazon is useful for some things, then?
    Yes indeed Amazon has its purposes

After selling 500,000 combined copies of Ian Fleming and Ed McBain backlist, Amazon Publishing has acquired books from the Saint series by Leslie Charteris and the Mrs. Bradley series by Gladys Mitchell.

Amazon’s Thomas & Mercer imprint will publish digital editions and print editions (“where rights permit”) later this year. Jane Gelfman from Gelfman Schneider Literary Agents negotiated the deal for 49 Saint series books. A TV pilot for the classic series about a mysterious thief is now being produced.

Jane Gregory and Linden Sherriff at Gregory & Company handled the deal for the Mrs. Bradley series. Here’s more about that deal:

Additionally, Amazon Publishing has entered into an agreement to publish 71 titles by Gladys Mitchell, including 65 titles in her classic Mrs. Bradley series. Mitchell’s works span seven decades – and earned her a reputation as an esteemed contemporary of Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers. Titles to be published by Amazon Publishing include the first book featuring Mrs. Bradley, Speedy Death (1929), as well as The Devil at Saxon Wall (1935); Printer’s Error (1939); Sunset Over Soho (1943); and The Crozier Pharaohs (1984). Since their first publication, the books have sold over 10 million copies worldwide and have been the inspiration behind the BBC television series The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries.

Who cares if they don't pay their taxes in Britain if they help to revive old thrillers - this was a dream of Ian Fleming's himself which he referred to in interviews. He rightly said that a lot of old thrillers had went out of print. Great to see that something is finally being done about it now. Better late than never, I suppose.
    Have never read any of the novels, but have certainly seen a number of the films! Happy memories of watching them growing up! :D

@Dragonpol @CraterGuns

The Fu-Manchu Series

08. President Fu-Manchu (March 2014)
    09. The Drums of Fu-Manchu (June 2014)

12. Re-Enter Fu-Manchu