VLC Player

edited September 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 4,400
I was just wondering if someone here could help me.

I recently got a macbook pro and when watching films or videos on vlc player the picture seems to be rather cropped when watching widescreen movies (2.35.1 aspect ratio). Does the mac or VLC nationally crop the picture down to 2.39.1? It's really confusing me and anyone's help would be really appreciated.

Comments

VLC typically plays files at their native aspect ratio. So you may be watching a movie that was cropped by the uploader.

Otherwise, click on VLC's 'video' menu and under 'Aspect Ratio' and 'Crop' and choose the Default setting in both cases.
  • Most of the films i seem to get or download seem to play at 2.39 as a default. Is this the VLC player itself or the copy of the film or video I have?
    It's the copy of the film. If you download some TV you'll see it plays 16:9 (or 4:3 if it's ancient)

You can resize your VLC viewer window of course (not when you're in full-screen though obviously) and then you'll see black bars top/bottom or side/side depending on the aspect ratio of the window itself. VLC by default will maintain the correct aspect ratio of the video source and show it at the max size possible within the viewer window.