Short Political Documentary

edited May 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 3
Focusing around the effects Margaret Thatcher had on the mining industry in the Stoke on Trent area.
I am a Film Production student at staffordshire university, just finishing my first year of studies. I have just made my first fully independent film and I am keen to get some feed back and to show it to as manny people as possible so i can learn from your feedback. In the brief i was given for this project, i was told that the film could be no longer than 3 minites.

I hope you enjoy...

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes, very emotive. A shame you only had 3 minutes because it didn't allow for a fuller exploration of the reasons behind Thatcher's decisions.
    And also the link to tuition fees in 2012 - are you saying that's a direct result of something Thatcher did 30 years earlier?

Either way it was nicely put together and well done on the portait you used of Mrs T. As unflattering as possible ;-)
    Visualy very strong, even if the argument for closing the mines are somewhat onesided. I always ask myself had anybody else in the role of Margeret T chosen a different course? The mines in my area of the Netherlands closed as well due to economic reasons, and there are still folks condemning the goverment at that time for its choices.

Still very well done sir.
    Thanks for the feedback guys. As far as the political message is concerned, yes i understand your point. The reason why it is so one sided is purely because in the brief i was given for this project, i was told that the film could be no longer than 3 minites. As a result i chose to focus the film more around the effects on the area itself. I showed the abandoned houses and Colliery that were the results of the decisions made by Thatcher and her government. in the same way i am trying to suggest to the audience how universities and there communities might also be left abandoned and unused due to the current governments policies. I agree that cuts and alternatives have to be made, but certainly in here in Stoke on Trent (which is where the film focused on) the local economy is completely centered around the university and students.
    Once again thanks for your feed back, it is very helpful for me to here your views.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    No problem @AJK007. Now on to more important matters - will Stoke win on Saturday in the Cup Final ;-)
    Fingers crossed @NicNac :)