Fleming and cats

2»

Comments

Maybe not so much guilt as disgust. I think he does feel guilt over the death of the fish in THB.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,483
    Ludovico wrote:
    Maybe not so much guilt as disgust. I think he does feel guilt over the death of the fish in THB.

Definitely. And he's appalled by Scaramanga's destruction of the kling-klings. Fleming's attitude to animals in general is quite fascinating.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:

Definitely. And he's appalled by Scaramanga's destruction of the kling-klings. Fleming's attitude to animals in general is quite fascinating.

Yes, and worthy of a good article in fact - it's an overlooked area of Bondology.

In Fleming's world, anyone who kills a bird is scum and needs to die. The Robber shoots a pelican, occasioning an outburst of anger from Bond, as well as the Robber's subsequent demise. Bond's doubts about killing Von Hammerstein are instantly resolved when the latter shoots a kingfisher and grinds his foot on the bird's corpse. And Scaramanga shows his true colors with the kling-klings. On a slightly more tenuous level, Doctor No threatens a colony of spoonbills.