Brosnan's change between films

edited May 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 49
Most noticably from GOLDENEYE to TOMORROW NEVER DIES, Brosnan appeared to have aged or at least gained weight. In 2 years? Really?

He looks as if he had put on weight. In 1995 he looked like a good Bond and in 1997 he looked slightly heavier. By the time DIE ANOTHER DAY happened, his appearance had dramatically changed from Goldeneye (obviously due to the time span between films).

Does anyone else agree or is t just me?

Comments

He certainly gained weight and 'bulked' up a bit. I think around the release of Goldeneye there was some criticism with regards to Brosnan's frame being too lightweight (please no reference to acting).

By the time of Die Another Day he was older, heavier and wore his hair quite tight compared to Goldeneye.

Alot of posters prefer his 'image' (I did not say the film) in Die Another Day.

For me the two greatest aging of Bond's, between films, are Connery between You Only Live Twice and Diamonds are Forever and the ultimate one, Moore after The Spy Who Loved Me.

While Connery came through the tunnel, so to speak, by the end of the 1970's, Moore aged dreadfully.

There is great change between films. But I never understood the criticism. Maybe it´s because I grew up with an already aged Bond. I also liked Gary Grant and Spencer Tracy, and they never seemed very young yet very capable. True, Bond was always more physical, but he did amazing things anyhow, so I never had thoughts about credibility. And if the physique changes with age that doesn´t mean the guy is getting fat. Brosnan has a completely different stature in GE and DAD, but in no way does he look any fatter in DAD. Ageing of face never was a bad thing for me, if at all a good one.
  • In terms of look, I thought a more aged Broser (DAD) suited the part more than his younger counterpart (GE).

Plus his GE 'big hair' always bothered me... get a haircut, hippy!!!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Moved from 'News' and in to Bond Movies.

Brosnan's physical change from GE to TND was most certainly for the better
    IMO Moore's ageing between TMWTGG and TSWLM was much for the better.He filled out a lot and looked perfect for the role,the same for MR.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Brosnan almost certainly put on weight between GE and TND but, in my opinion, he never looked "fat" or out of shape during his time as Bond.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Brosnan almost certainly put on weight between GE and TND but, in my opinion, he never looked "fat" or out of shape during his time as Bond.
    Fair comment. Brosnan looked pretty good (after GE) as Bond. Of course Craig is in great physical shape, but Brosnan like Connery before him looked physically right. I imagine 007 to be strong-looking but not like he works out. Bond was too fond of the fineer things in life to be obsessed with the gym.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 11,189
    "Bond was too fond of the fineer things in life to be obsessed with the gym"

Thank you. Craig at times seems a bit too "muscle-man" for Bond. The original character wasn't like that. In fact he was pretty lean and slim - closer to Pierce than Craig physically IMO.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Most noticably from GOLDENEYE to TOMORROW NEVER DIES, Brosnan appeared to have aged or at least gained weight. In 2 years? Really
    I don't find his aging and gain of weight that noticeable from GE to TND frankly, the only time I found it to be an issue was from TWINE to DAD where he was supposed to be in jail for months and gained like 30 pounds. What sort of jail was it? His torture was to eat sausages or something? ;)

In terms of look, I thought a more aged Broser (DAD) suited the part more than his younger counterpart (GE).

Plus his GE 'big hair' always bothered me... get a haircut, hippy!!!
    I agree, I think Brosnan looked his best in TND. I always felt he was too skinny to be a convincing Bond in GE. His hair was bigger than rest of his body

:-D
    A lot of it is in the hair. He's looking a little shaggy, or perhaps a little leftover from the 80's. To me, this was an aspect of his character where he didn't quite look like Bond in Goldeneye. He looked more Don Johnson in Miami Vice then the smooth debonair Bond look, which he adopted in TND and forward--which was an improvement for sure.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,690
    ................ Brosnan Performance.......... Brosnan Movie
    Best.............DAD....................................GE

Worst...........GE......................................DAD

I agree with most everything said here. I don't find a problem with the change in appearance, but it is quite inconsistent. The big hair in GE bothered me a bit to and I agree that he looked his best in TND.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    edited May 2011 Posts: 257
    I prefer Brosnan's slender look in GE - http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/b/b7/GEaksuclose2.jpg - it is easier to buy into Brosnan's machine-gun-mowing Bond when he looks the fittest.

The change from that to TND - http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/f/f3/Tnd-ppk3.jpg - is pretty stark, starting to push out the frames of his neck and chin; and by DAD it's hard to take Brosnan's Bond as one that wakes up to a breakfast of green figs, yoghurt, and very black coffee http://www.jamesbondmm.co.uk/james-bond/pierce-brosnan?id=046.
    I think if you look at the changes that were taking place during the four films he did from the outside (Cubby dying, changing directors every single film, etc) his change in appearance is understandable. It's like each person in control of the film wanted something else from him.
    Good point Reaper. A lot has happened since Cubby died. What would he make of it all?
    True. Had Cubby not passed, the films of Brosnan may have been different in all aspects. I always found Cubby's willingness to attempt to cast American actors as rather odd. Had he stayed alive, he might have done things different with the pictures that Brosnan was in.
    Keep in mind that Cubby was not actively involved with GE at all.
    edited May 2011 Posts: 257
    I always found Cubby's willingness to attempt to cast American actors as rather odd.
    If you mean that you found his willingness to attempt to cast American actors *as Bond* odd, then I am in full agreement - if you are referring to his casting American of actors in general, I am not following. Nothing wrong with Robert Davi or Telly Savalas, for example.
    No. His casting Bond as American just didn't make sense because the character is bigger than just the films. An English actor is clearly needed because American actors cannot convey the British/European style as well as European actors have mastered. Plus, it is tradition. As for supporting roles, casting should be chosen based on the scripts and the characters. Nothing wrong with American actors in other roles
    An English actor is clearly needed because American actors cannot convey the British/European style as well as European actors have mastered.
    I completely agree.
    Maybe he was a smoker and quit after "GE", thus leading to weight gain?
    Interesting point, Moonraker. I often wondered why Brosnan's Bond never really smoked. Bond clearly smokes and does so very heavily.
    Maybe he was a smoker and quit after "GE", thus leading to weight gain?
    He actually talked about intentionally trying to bulk up a bit for TND in interviews in 1997. However by TWINE he had said "F*** it and gave up the fitness regime. By DAD, the weight just had to do with normal age weight gain.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 251
    I think moore had the biggest size out of all the Bonds....he got to a 38 inch waist!
    As for a change of appearance, I`d argue Connery changed the most, between YOLT and DAF. What happened to his eyebrows??? Looks like they doubled in size.
    Dalton looked pretty much the same in his two, and Lazenby obviously has no other Bond film to compare. I think Craig will age pretty quick, by the look of him so far.
    . I think Craig will age pretty quick, by the look of him so far.
    I don't think so as he really looks the same now as he did in CR.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I don't think so as he really looks the same now as he did in CR.
    I'd even say Craig looks the same now as he did in Layer Cake circa 2004. Craig's appearence hasn't changed in years. I have to go back to 'Enduring Love' (2003) to see any visible change of his look.

I always had a problem with Craig's appearance. His face is interesting. For one, Bond needs to have darker hair (Moore didn't, but it was darker than the blonde Craig.)
  • Craig has blonde hair? No way! I've never noticed that. that's it, I hate him now. Totally miscast.
    :)
    The difference between 007 in FRWL and 007 in DAF is huge. It looks like Connery ate the next contender. :)>-