The TITAN BOOKS comic strip reprints THREAD: Who has read them?

edited May 2011 in Literary 007 Posts: 49
I've noticed that not many folks have discussed these reprinted comic strips that TITAN has been putting out.

I think some of them are fantastic and others are kind of just okay, but not one of them is bad. So who has read them? What are your opinions of them?

Comments

I've got one never really got into it though
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @gregdaulton Can you check the catagories we have on the right hand side and select what is appropriate, rather than put your new threads in the News section.

Otherwise, keep 'em coming ;-)
  • I do have a complete collection of the Titan strips, but as it's been quite a while since I read them I would struggle to review them.

I agree the stories did very dramatically in quality, especially later on in the series.

For me, I enjoyed the opening articles and trivia segments as much as the strips themselves.

They also get top marks for being well presented.

In terms of artwork, I was more of a fan of the Horak era than McClusky.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I also have a complete collection of the Titan strips, though personally I'm more of a fan of the McClusky strips than Horak's (though both are far better than the one by Harry North, why exactly did he have to draw absolutely every character with a big nose?). I've only read them a few times and am not overly impressed with the science fiction heavy stories and the little minor discrepancies like Bond using the wrong sort of gun, car and calling everybody 'luv' really irritate me. Having said that they make a nice set and contain great articles, I especially enjoyed 'The Genesis Of Colonel Sun','Bonding With Kingsly Amis','James Bonds Cars - The Gardner Era' and 'The Women Of James Bond stripped' by some knowledgeable chap called James Page... ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I've been collecting the Omnibus editions - great so far - but no news of the third book yet...
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I also have the complete collection and have read them at least one each. I'm also more of a fan of McClusky's art than Horak's, like saunders. I prefer the fleming and colonel sun stories over most of the later work which was sometimes solid, other times quite weak. And same here, hats off to JP with some contribution =D>
  • I've been collecting the Omnibus editions
    Samuel: Do the Omnibus editions have the same content as the standalones, articles and all?

I've been collecting the Omnibus editions
    Samuel: Do the Omnibus editions have the same content as the standalones, articles and all?
    Well, I wouldn't know as I don't have the other editions but I know each one contains one introduction though I'm not sure about all the articles. I'd guess not, with you only getting the ones relating to the introduction's strip.

Still, I've been done if the third issue isn't announced - why haven't we heard anything I wonder?...
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 49
    Having seen both the single reprints and owning the omnibus, I can tell you all that the content is not the same. In the omnibus, each story gets an introduction and there is an introduction at the beginning, but none of the articles mentioned.

Regarding quality, some strips are amazingly well done while others have washed out panels.

I have read a review of the 2nd omnibus which claims that the 3rd omnibus will be released sometime in 2011, though no release date has been set.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    If the omnibus editions are anything like the original Titan collections don't pay too much attention to the scheduled release dates, if Titan say they are releasing volume 3 in 2011 you'll probably find that it turns out to be 2012 with them releasing volume 4 first instead.
    I can't wait for it, whenever it is released. Dr. No was indeed the best strip with Risico and Goldfinger coming in 2nd.
    I've been collecting the Omnibus editions - great so far - but no news of the third book yet...
    I got the first edition on ebay for 99p. Don't have any comics and thought for that price it was worth the risk :D

I hope you enjoy the book, Alan007
    I have them all. Overall, pretty satisfied even though they do indeed vary in quality. As someone else has already mentioned, Harry North illustrated one story. I can do without that one. He's a good artist, but because he's well-known as one of the Mad comics artists, it tends to make it look like a spoof one would expect to read in a Mad comic. The introductory bits to each volume are generally very good.
  • Yaroslav Horak's Bond is the definitive Bond for me. The definitive article.
    I do have a couple somewhere in my collection? Cannot remember which titles though? lol! But i enjoyed them though.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I've got all the Titan releases from the first, oddly, The Man With The Golden Gun (which as it cover picture has a cell from TSWLM, to the last NightBird, I can thoroughly recommend them to anyone interested in Bond. Favourites are OHMSS and YOLT. Excellent stuff.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,350
    The last volume edition, number six, is out later this year. Those are the ones I have been collecting.

I wonder if some kind of 007 volume will follow next year...