Zero Minus Ten anyone?

edited July 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 686
Has anyone read Zero Minus Ten ? If so, is it any good?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I have - years ago (1999). Yes, it is very good indeed.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I've read it a couple of times and think it's truly dreadful ...mind you it's still one of Benson's best efforts. :)

Seriously though, while I'm no fan of Benson's works I do very much respect @Dragonpol's opinions and if he thinks it's worth reading then I would suggest you give it a go and maybe you will see what I've failed to appreciate.
  • DB5DB5
    I'd skip it. If you want to read Benson I'd recommend "High Time to Kill."
    @Perdogg, if you have been lucky enough to escape Benson's work don't, for God's sake, put yourself through it now.
    They are all, without exception,absolute bilge and should be avoided at all cost!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,882
    DB5 wrote:

I have not read Zero Minus Ten, but I did enjoy High Time To Kill. I recall it moving quite slowly until the expedition gets underway. Never Dream Of Dying & The Man With The Red Tattoo were quite good. I have not read his other 3 original Bonds, nor have I read Bensons 3 novelisations.

@Perdogg, I'd suggest reading them for yourself. For example, most people might say that DAF was good, but I hated it.
    DB5 wrote:

I have not read Zero Minus Ten, but I did enjoy High Time To Kill. I recall it moving quite slowly until the expedition gets underway. Never Dream Of Dying & The Man With The Red Tattoo were quite good. I have not read his other 3 original Bonds, nor have I read Bensons 3 novelisations.

@Perdogg, I'd suggest reading them for yourself. For example, most people might say that DAF was good, but I hated it.

I ordered a copy today. :)>-
    I've read it. Of course, being in the eighties and early nineties an avid roleplayer, and having purchased and gamemastered all the James Bond 007 RPG modules, I couldn't help but notice that Benson has reused elements from his module YOLT 2 : Back of Beyond (the walkabout, the escape shoe). Still, as a period piece (the action takes place around Hong Kong's retrocession to China), it is interesting.

Funny thing, the plot of a madman prefering to destroy the city rather than having it been given to China was also used in the first Robin mini-series. Seems the idea was going around at that time.
    Flemingistas can I remind you that this is the literary category and that Benson shouldn't be discussed here.
    His MI6 section is unique to his work and is titled 'crap'!