Battle of the Actors: Charles Laughton versus Harrison Ford

edited July 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,483
Alright, who's the better actor and why?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Good heavens, two very different kind of actors! Harrison with his unique charm, charisma, cockiness, and sense of everyman balanced with adventure and wit - then Charles who had many excellent, layered performances - from drama to comedy, and his profound love of Shakespeare. For me, starting with The Hunchback of Notre Dame (still the most memorable Quasimodo by far, in my opinion). He was also the ghost in The Canterviille Ghost and Capt. Bligh in Mutiny on the Bounty. How do I compare two excellent champagnes? Simply which one I am in the mood for.

Harrison - Hans Solo in Star Wars, Indiana Jones - both iconic roles, truly. Then we have him in Witness, a great movie and subtle strong acting by Harrison.

Acting chops - they are both fine, in my opinion. Pure acting skill, if I have to choose, I will go with Laughton.
  • Different eras, different cultures, different acting requirements. You really can't say.

It's like saying Douglas Fairbanks junior or The Rock, which one is the better action star?

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I would say Laughton. I have seen Ford give darn good performances but not what Laughton brought to the table in Spartacus. Then again, he was mediocre at best in The Old Dark House. Perhaps the two of them are quite simply incomparable, as some have pointed out. ;-)
  • AgentCalibosAgentCalibos Banned
    Only Laughton can make a scene where a fat king eating an entire turkey by himself memorable.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I would say Laughton. I have seen Ford give darn good performances but not what Laughton brought to the table in Spartacus. Then again, he was mediocre at best in The Old Dark House. Perhaps the two of them are quite simply incomparable, as some have pointed out. ;-)

Ah, they're comparable for a movie buff who really knows his stuff! Consider it a challenge.

;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    And what is your vote @Perilagu_Khan? If saying strictly who is the better actor, I say Laughton. What say you?
    Honestly, I haven't seen enough of Laughton to form an opinion, but I do think he's an interesting actor. More than anything, I'm just curious what others think of him in comparison to the acknowledged modern superstar, Harrison Ford.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,809
    Well, James Bond himself liked Charles Laughton, so I'll plumb for him - it's mentioned in Goldfinger (1959) that he remembered his performance in The Private Life of Henry VIII (1933).
    Good catch, Dp. Totally slipped me mind.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Good catch, Dp. Totally slipped me mind.

My pleasure, PK. That's what I and The Bondologist Blog are here for!
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 98
    Honey, Harrison Ford hasn't been a modern super star since the 90's !

Laughton all day.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Honey, Harrison Ford hasn't been a modern super star since the 90's !

Laughaton all day.

@illUMA69N4UGHTY69, Clearly you don't know who Charles Laughton is, in fact I would say you don't know enough about film to hang out with us in threads like these. "Honey"? Seriously? Also, "Laughaton" most certainly wasn't a typo. One more thing, your judgment about Ford is so wrong. One sentence, at least three missteps. Please leave this discussion.
  • Wait a second, so I'm not cool enough to hang out with you ??

as a matter of fact I do know Laughton, from Spartacus. Fine actor !

Plz Don't make such emboldened assumptions about me like that.

And Ive corrected my typo, of which it certainly was. What else could it of been ??

I'm allowed to share my opininos bro, perhaps I came too strongly to your tasting.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Wait a second, so I'm not cool enough to hang out with you ??

And Ive corrected my typo, of which it certainly was. What else could it of been ??

I'm allowed to share my opininos bro, perhaps I came too strongly to your tasting.

To quote the legendary Biff Tannen 'why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?'

Or better still why can't the mods just put you out of our misery?
    The only miserable person I see around here is you ! Always with the jabs and crabapples !

So Get off me !
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Wait a second, so I'm not cool enough to hang out with you ??

To quote the legendary Biff Tannen 'why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?'

Or better still why can't the mods just put you out of our misery?

We're working on it. Patience is a virtue.

Like I said, jam and crapabbles ! Now that you've derailed the thread, how about actually contributing to it ?? I see neither of you buckets have actually done so