Irma La Not So Douce- Remembering Ilse Steppat

MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
edited July 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 5,080
Ever since I first watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service, the character of Irma Bunt has had a lasting impact on me. She is one of the more intriguing Bond characters, since she is the only villain who evaded retribution. Every time she appears in scenes, she exudes menace and her interactions with Bond (as Sir Hillary Bray) are hilarious ("I think I've got a bit of a stiffness coming on").

However, the fine actress who portrayed her, Ilse Steppat, sadly passed away a short time after the film was premiered. This thread is to discuss her character and to remember the talented Ilse Steppat.

Comments

• Ilse was a terrific actress who had a huge on set influence on the green rookie that was Lazenby, as he has stated himself. That's the thing about OHMSS- except for the lead actor, everyone in this movie played their parts to perfection and those are the reasons why the movie rates so highly.

Sadly indeed, Ilse passed away 4 days after the release of OHMSS of a heart attack. She was only 52 years old. It's been said she was indeed due to reprise her role in DAF but her character was instead written out. I'd like to think she would have done it whether it was Connery or Lazenby as Bond, and it's part of why DAF barely connects back to OHMSS as far as a sequel.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ilse in DAF would have improved it no matter what. I would like to have seen her in other work. I will go look her up on imdb, but does anyone know of any other film work she did that you enjoyed? She was one of the most memorable Bond characters, for sure.
  • Ilse in DAF would have improved it no matter what. I would like to have seen her in other work. I will go look her up on imdb, but does anyone know of any other film work she did that you enjoyed? She was one of the most memorable Bond characters, for sure.

Unless you speak German, I also read that sadly, OHMSS was her only English language role.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ahh, too bad. But thanks for the info, SirHenry.

I hope she still has family alive who are aware that she is still so highly regarded by Bond fans. That would be nice.
    It's a shame we lost her so soon after OHMSS was released, but I don't know much about her other work. Steppat has some good lines in the 1969 release, most often at Piz Gloria and when she surprises Lazenby in bed, it's one of the most memorable scenes of the whole film. I wouldn't have wanted her in DAF, even if she my have lifted it up a degree or two, as that release is a general abomination, and I don't think even Bogart, James Stewart, Monroe and Cary Grant could of saved it together, if they had been featured. Steppat need not be associated with such an awful release and we shall remember her, for her one and only contribution at the end of the 1960s

Then again, if Lazenby had returned in 1971 instead of the awful Connery and they had stayed on course with the revenge angle of the Tracy Bond death (instead of some asinine plot about making a satellite weapon from Diamonds), she may well have featured anyway, maybe again with Telly Savalas, but it's no good crying over spilt milk
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I am delighted that there are other people who appreciate her as much as I do! Another great scene is when Bond tells her where her surname originates from!
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Wonderful actress in this role, personally I consider Irma Bunt level with Kerim Bey as the best cast original Fleming characters in the EON films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,816
    I just wanted to say that I'm all for your project in this thread to remember the late great actress Ilse Steppat as Irma Bunt. She is one of the great classic female crow villains along with The equally excellent Lotte Lenya as Colonel Rosa Klebb. It's impossible to imagine anyone else in this role, the very best James Bond film OHMSS. Both actresses were very faithful to the Fleming original. It sure would have been nice to see Bunt back in the revenge flick DAF, with La I raise my glass to her, wherever she may be. Here's to you, ma'am.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I especially like the scene at the ice rink serving for the car race where her car explodes and the noise she makes when her ass catches on fire :))
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 14,839
    Great character, great actress. One of the biggest tragedies of the franchise following OHMSS was that Irma Bunt was never seen again.
    I especially like the scene at the ice rink serving for the car race where her car explodes and the noise she makes when her ass catches on fire :))

Same scene, I love it when she bellows, "Knock them out of the waaaaay!"

That line is roughly reprised in the GE tank chase when Ouroumov howls, "Use da bumper! That's what it's for!"

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I also love her piercing look she gives Bond, like she is x-raying him...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Same scene, I love it when she bellows, "Knock them out of the waaaaay!"

That line is roughly reprised in the GE tank chase when Ouroumov howls, "Use da bumper! That's what it's for!"

Interesting, you're right! Never noticed the similarities before!
  • Steppat's howl of pain sounds very similar to the Travelocity gnome while cliff diving :))