Frederick Forsyth "The Fourth Protocol" and EON's Octopussy

edited July 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 686
I put this under literary since I am dealing with Frederick Forsyth's 1984 novel as opposed to the Octopussy movie. They seem to be very similar in the fundamental plot. Has there been any explanation to this?

Since the novel was published in 1984 it had to had been started in late 1983 at the latest. I am a big fan Frederick Forsyth, I am sorry he never wrote a Bond. I am not accusing anyone of plagiarism, it fact beyond the fundamental idea, they are not similar.

I find ironic, in the movie, Brosnan played the villain and Michael Cain, who was John Barry's roommate and worked with Harry Saltzman, played the good guy.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Interesting potential links there, @Perdogg. I've read some of Forsyth's work but not this one. In the film, Julian Glover (Kristatos in FYEO) plays a bureaucrat.

Could you expand on the similarities between the two - The Fourth Protocol novel and Octopussy in more detail? Thanks.

I believe that Frederick Forsyth was asked in c. 2001 about doing a Bond novel by Peter Janson-Smith's son Patrick Janson-Smith but nothing ever came of it as he said "no."
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Interesting potential links there, @Perdogg. I've read some of Forsyth's work but not this one. In the film, Julian Glover (Kristatos in FYEO) plays a bureaucrat.

Could you expand on the similarities between the two - The Fourth Protocol novel and Octopussy in more detail? Thanks.

I believe that Frederick Forsyth was asked in c. 2001 about doing a Bond novel by Peter Janson-Smith's son Patrick Janson-Smith but nothing ever came of it as he said "no."

The Fourth Protocol involved a Soviet agent who planned to set off a nuclear device at an American air base to make it look like an accident.
    I've seen the movie, and Pierce Brosnan appears in it, but haven't read the book, but now that you mention it, there are definite similarities between the two releases. Yes I've read it once more, good observation. I'll have to read the novel sometime

Worth saying, I think Brosnan works better in villainous parts, than playing a savior or good character. May be one reason why I never took to him as James Bond. May well be worth some more thought on that but it won't be for this night
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 5,767
    It seems to happen that writers have a talk among themselves and on that occasion also push some ideas back and forth. Elmore Loenard and his son Peter, both novel writers, did just that a few years ago, and both had similar elements in their respective novels of about the same origin year, albeit in completely different stories. But I could imagine that maybe Forsyth and some Bond writer knew each other or had a chat every now and then, and when both at the same time wrote espionage stories set in front of the Cold War, it wouldn´t be surprising if certain scenarios resembled one another.

Or, perhaps the Bond people thought, "S**t, Forsyth never gets made into good films anyhow, so let´s take that idea and do it proper!" ;-)

Have to correct myself, Eye of the Needle was Forsyth, right? Bloody good film!
    boldfinger wrote:

No, it actually isn't. That one is Follett, but "The Day of the Jackal" (the 70's one,of course) is and it is indeed a bloody good film. Highly recomendable! Hope this helps. By the Way, Folletts "Triple" and Forsyths " Devils Alternative " are among the best Polit/Spy Thrillers to be read.
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,793
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

No, it actually isn't. That one is Follett, but "The Day of the Jackal" (the 70's one,of course) is and it is indeed a bloody good film. Highly recomendable! Hope this helps. By the Way, Folletts "Triple" and Forsyths " Devils Alternative " are among the best Polit/Spy Thrillers to be read.

The film version of The Odessa File wasn't too bad either. I really need to watch it again, though.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

Uerhah, I´m such an idiot, of course that was Follett, and of course I unforgivably forgot The Day of the Jackal, what a brilliant film!
    I should back up my research proper and stock up my film shelf...

boldfinger wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

Uerhah, I´m such an idiot, of course that was Follett, and of course I unforgivably forgot The Day of the Jackal, what a brilliant film!

If you read the novel "The Day of Jackal", the opening line is very reminiscent of something Fleming would write.

Of course we remember that in the film version Michael Lonsdale (Hugo Drax) played Inspector Claude LeBelle.
    Perdogg wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

If you read the novel "The Day of Jackal", the opening line is very reminiscent of something Fleming would write.

Of course we remember that in the film version Michael Lonsdale (Hugo Drax) played Inspector Claude LeBelle.

Indeed. On the back cover of my UK 1970s green paperback edition of TDOTJ it says something like "Easily beats Ian Fleming on his own ground." This may well be correct. It was certainly one of the first docu-thrillers.
    Perhaps I should read some old Forsyth novels in the near future. Time for a vacation :-).

boldfinger wrote:
    Perhaps I should read some old Forsyth novels in the near future. Time for a vacation :-).

I'd highly recommend that you do that. Forsyth is a truly great writer in the Fleming mould.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

I'd highly recommend that you do that. Forsyth is a truly great writer in the Fleming mould.

@boldfinger and @Dragonpol I would recommend the collection of short stories by Frederick Forsyth called "No Comebacks" as well.

Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

@boldfinger and @Dragonpol I would recommend the collection of short stories by Frederick Forsyth called "No Comebacks" as well.

Yes, I read that one way back in 2000. He wrote this book while he lived in the Republic of Ireland, about the same time John Gardner was resident there.
    @Dragonpol I just got finish watching Octopussy again. There is so many little that link the two together that I cannot dismiss as coincidence. The Jewery smuggling angle, the nuclear plot, and the ending meeting between Gen Gogol and M.

Perdogg wrote:
    @Dragonpol I just got finish watching Octopussy again. There is so many little that link the two together that I cannot dismiss as coincidence. The Jewery smuggling angle, the nuclear plot, and the ending meeting between Gen Gogol and M.

Well coincidentally, @Perdogg, I was watching the Octopussy Ultimate Edition disc extras for the first time today. I need to watch the film again soon too as I have two articles to write on it along with all of the others.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Well coincidentally, @Perdogg, I was watching the Octopussy Ultimate Edition disc extras for the first time today. I need to watch the film again soon too as I have two articles to write on it along with all of the others.

I find it amusing that the KGB guards at the East German border are armed with Austrian Steyr Augs.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

I find it amusing that the KGB guards at the East German border are armed with Austrian Steyr Augs.

Do I feel another article fermenting here, @Perdogg? Send me the draft as and when!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Do I feel another article fermenting here, @Perdogg? Send me the draft as and when!

@Drangonpol I am wondering if EON got inspiration for Scaramanga's gun from "The Day of the Jackal".
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

@Drangonpol I am wondering if EON got inspiration for Scaramanga's gun from "The Day of the Jackal".

Could be, @Perdogg, as the gun was very different (just a golden revolver) in the Fleming source novel, TMWTGG.
    Did you ever get this piece written up, @Perdogg? Are you still out there, old chum?
    Just watched The Fourth Protocol film again after quite few years. Very good. I'd like to write up a paper on this topic at some point.