Ian Fleming's Quantum of Solace Clause

edited July 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 686
In Thrilling Cities - Geneva

"Briefly, this will allow tax relief to those who, as judged by an independent tribunal, having given the maximum amount of pleasure to their fellow citizens. Most beneficiaries will of course come from the creative arts - acting, writing, painting, music, etc. - but they would also come from sport, politics, and medicine. Such a clause would, I believe, have the blessing of the general public,.." (Thriling Cities, Ian Fleming, p 178 - Jonathan Cape, 1964).

I think this shows how forward thinking Ian Fleming was. Not necessarily that I agree with the idea, but acknowledging the way that the arts and sports have been able to leverage public funding.

However I believe that there should a Quantum of Solace tax on the EON and any one associated with the 2008 film.

Comments

• RecipeRecipe Banned
    edited July 2013 Posts: 56
    My thoughts~~

Ok a few problems with this idea:

1) the first sentence doesn't make sense

2) We already have too much red tape in our unsustainable bureaucracies - this will just add another layer of fat. Cut. The. Fat.

3) What's better - just limit government and toss out the bureaucrats and low the tax rate across the board 70-90% tax cut esp. small businesses. Earners get to keep what they make with no theft from on high.
    Recipe wrote:
    My thoughts~~

Ok a few problems with this idea:

1) the first sentence doesn't make sense

2) We already have too much red tape in our unsustainable bureaucracies - this will just add another layer of fat. Cut. The. Fat.

3) What's better - just limit government and toss out the bureaucrats and low the tax rate across the board 70-90% tax cut esp. small businesses. Earners get to keep what they make with no theft from on high.

I agree with either a lower flat tax or a NST in lieu of an income tax.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Funny I was just reading this yesterday myself, @Perdogg. There is much important matter hidden away in Fleming's non-fiction work and journalism.