Idea for a Cold War-era Bond story

edited June 2013 in News Posts: 26
Please tell me what you think about the following idea:

Bond investigates a spate of politically motivated assassinations in West Germany. He discovers that a Stasi assassin has infiltrated West German circles, masquerading as a captured BND officer. The Stasi assassin killed off members of his own Stasi assassination squad posted in Berlin, in order to gain the trust of West German officials. It will be similar to both LTK and MR (the book) in that regard, as the latter involves him posing as one of their own and LTK has Bond gaining the trust of the villain through his own scheming.

Bond prevents the Stasi assassin from killing the head of West Germany's intelligence service and/or high-ranking West German officials. Alternatively, since France, Britain and America controlled regions of West Germany, some of their own diplomats could be targeted. Thus, Bond could be dispatched to West Germany following an attack on an embassy which took the life of a British diplomat.

Long story short, the villain/glorified henchman's plan is simple: destabilise West Germany through a series of assassinations, all of which are politically motivated.

At the end, Bond kills the East German assassin and retrieves incriminating Stasi files which implicate the KGB in a scandal.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    See John Gardner's No Deals, Mr Bond and Death is Forever for the same plot strand.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 26
    Dragonpol wrote:
    See John Gardner's No Deals, Mr Bond and Death is Forever for the same plot strand.

They might have the same plot strand, but I'd like to think that my plot idea is much more simplistic. Perhaps this could have worked as one of Gardner's titles in the continuation series, or even as a Moore/Dalton flick.

Dragonpol wrote:

They might have the same plot strand, but I'd like to think that my plot idea is much more simplistic. Perhaps this could have worked as one of Gardner's titles in the continuation series, or even as a Moore/Dalton flick.

Well, plot simplicity and John Gardner never really went together. Very complex author and plotter. I mean that in a good way, of course.
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well, plot simplicity and John Gardner never really went together. Very complex author and plotter. I mean that in a good way, of course.

Yeah. The only Gardner novel I can remember is the one where Blofeld's successor, Tamil Rahani, is bedridden.

My other idea involves the Soviets to an extent: an IRA bomb-maker is funded by the Soviets to orchestrate a series of bombings that will engulf England. He will destroy England, using the guise of an IRA terror campaign.

Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Yeah. The only Gardner novel I can remember is the one where Blofeld's successor, Tamil Rahani, is bedridden.

My other idea involves the Soviets to an extent: an IRA bomb-maker is funded by the Soviets to orchestrate a series of bombings that will engulf England. He will destroy England, using the guise of an IRA terror campaign.

Sounds much too political. EON wouldn't touch it with a ten foot bargepole.