Heresy

edited June 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 11,189
Just listening to the first 10 mins on iplayer. Interested to know what fellow fans think. Personally it pissed me off a little - bloody smug intellectuals:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b021480y/Heresy_Series_9_Episode_4/

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Can you please explain what Heresy is?
    Its just a programme on Radio 4 that discusses various topics. My dad told me about todays edition. Kind of a little late to be discussing SF don't you think?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2013 Posts: 28,694
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Its just a programme on Radio 4 that discusses various topics. My dad told me about todays edition. Kind of a little late to be discussing SF don't you think?

Oh, it's about Skyfall. I'll listen sometime soon and see how I feel, I guess.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Off to a good start I see. "Diamonds Are Forever in 1973", Dench in eight films and David Niven being the film movie Bond.

Someone will need to rip this. A lot to discuss here such as the best actors in the film being the Komodo Dragons and how Daniel Craig will be in EastEnders by the time he's 50...
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 11,189
    "I was left shaken and stirred at the end...that was by the ushers waking me up"

Ho...ho...ho [-(

The first Bond on film was David Niven [-(

My mum thinks DC looks like Jeremy Kyle. My friend thinks he is like Harry Palmer...Now its Ross Kemp in a wig (that did make me laugh a little I must admit) :))
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If you think the Skyfall talk was not on, let's not talk about their Margaret Thatcher conversation.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 11,189
    To be honest I didn't bother listening to that. Thought the Bond bit was the main point of interest...and I was already seething by the end of the section.

Thought that 'debate' alone would make a good discussion thread.
  • I see your point it was a pointless mass debate. But then again it is meant to ruffle feathers. I'd rather mass debate with my Bond chums on the positives angles.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I see your point it was a pointless mass debate. But then again it is meant to ruffle feathers. I'd rather mass debate with my Bond chums on the positives angles.

Wouldn't we all prefer this @forgotmyusername. It's nicer to agree on things I find, too.
    Well, I listened to the Skyfall section of it yesterday, and continued listening well into the Thatcher debates.

I was obviously rolling my eyes all the time as these people were talking, as I didn't even find evidence of their criticisms. It just seemed like pretentious slamming of a popular film by people who didn't know smack about James Bond, and that's probably why they didn't react positively to it. By and large those that will enjoy Skyfall most are fans, because it was helmed by a big Bond fan, so their comments don't shock me. On a side note, those that even jokingly laugh at the thought of people celebrating someone's death are not worth my time.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well, I listened to the Skyfall section of it yesterday, and continued listening well into the Thatcher debates.

I was obviously rolling my eyes all the time as these people were talking, as I didn't even find evidence of their criticisms. It just seemed like pretentious slamming of a popular film by people who didn't know smack about James Bond, and that's probably why they didn't react positively to it. By and large those that will enjoy Skyfall most are fans, because it was helmed by a big Bond fan, so their comments don't shock me. On a side note, those that even jokingly laugh at the thought of people celebrating someone's death are not worth my time.

Well said on the shocking way some peopler reacted to Thatcher's death.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well said on the shocking way some peopler reacted to Thatcher's death.

Yes, very sad. Though I don't know much about the political sphere in Britain (especially during her time), I find it ironic that the people who called her a monster paraded around after her death like a bunch of immature children with no compassion for another human being's passing and their melancholic loved ones. It's amazing how badly we all treat each other, isn't it?
    Having listened to this show it is clearly a satirical show that does take the mickey will all subjects mentioned.
    These people do not like SF or James Bond and are quite clear about it, the woman who liked SF wasn't the greatest defender. But mostly it was taking the mickey and as a Bondfan I do not mind that and some of their stuff was funny even if I disagreed with it.
    And in truth SF is not the masterpiece it is sold to the general audience and that was their point.

The Thatcher bit was amusing as they were actually saying that they disagreed with the parties but were sure that Thatcher must have enjoyed the attention given to her so long after her reign. They even talked about the difference in perspective between people that lived the Thatcher years and those born later. There was no real insulting going on just banter on a subject that cost the average taxpayers a few million pounds so why can those disagreeing not speak about it.

All in all it was a satirical show on some current subjects that you either can enjoy or detest. But in a democracy there should be space for it as all the folks who disaprove get to have their words in as well.