My copy of "The Book of Bond" by Col Bill Tanner arrived today.

edited June 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 686
It wasn't cheap, but I recommend a copy. I am assuming the Viking edition is the same as the Cape version, with the exception it doesn't have the reversible cover that says "Bible to be Read as literature". I would have preferred the Cape version, but due to Abe's search algorithm, I initially found the Viking copy. The book was not price-clipped, US version was $2.50 in 1965 (about $15 to $20 by today's equivalent dollars). The book is not big, probably a 12mo. The art work is wonderful.

Everything source in the book is noted.

Kingsley Amis was truly a Bond fan! I wonder how his Martin feels about Fleming-blond.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,810
    Perdogg wrote:
    It wasn't cheap, but I recommend a copy. I am assuming the Viking edition is the same as the Cape version, with the exception it doesn't have the reversible cover that says "Bible to be Read as literature". I would have preferred the Cape version, but due to Abe's search algorithm, I initially found the Viking copy. The book was not price-clipped, US version was $2.50 in 1965 (about $15 to $20 by today's equivalent dollars). The book is not big, probably a 12mo. The art work is wonderful.

Everything source in the book is noted.

Kingsley Amis was truly a Bond fan! I wonder how his Martin feels about Fleming-blond.

I got this in January 1999 for 40p in a second hand bookshop - the Pan paperback edition. It was only later that I realised Amis was the author (2001 or so, thanks to the Internet). I see it as a fun concordance to the Fleming Bond novels.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Can someone/either provide a review of this?

It's tough to find now, very expensive.
    007InVT wrote:
    Can someone/either provide a review of this?

It's tough to find now, very expensive.

Mine wasn't very expensive (it was a mere Pan paperback) but that was back in January 1999 when the critical stock of the literary James Bond was much lower than it is even today.
    The well has run dry on this one.
    007InVT wrote:
    The well has run dry on this one.

Do you mean money-wise, @007InVT?
    Ha! Freudian slip.

I meant the market for this book.
    007InVT wrote:
    Ha! Freudian slip.

I meant the market for this book.

Do you think it too niche? I guess that the literary Bond is a rather niche topic, no matter how much we kid ourselves to the contrary.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 2,598
    I picked up this book in the second hand book shop for very cheap back in the 90's. There was a time when I used to visit second hand book shops regularly.

Never realised that Amis wrote this or if I had then I'd forgotten. A pleasant surprise.
    Bounine wrote:
    I picked up this book in the second hand book shop for very cheap back in the 90's. There was a time when I used to visit second hand books shops regularly.

Never realised that Amis wrote this or if I had then I'd forgotten. A pleasant surprise.

Same story as me, then. Keep visiting second hand shops - they contain many hidden treasures!
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 2,598
    Yeah they do. Don't know how I ended up drifting away from them. Maybe my studies became too full on and after that I kind of stopped thinking about them.

I remember being on a quest at the time to find second hand Fleming and Gardner Bond books. I went to stores and fairs and found some great thrillers coupled with the odd rare, or maybe I should say, less well known publication like 'The Book of Bond'.
    Bounine wrote:
    Yeah they do. Don't know how I ended up drifting away from them. Maybe my studies became too full on and after that I kind of stopped thinking about them.

I remember being on a quest at the time to find second hand Fleming and Gardner Bond books. I went to stores and fairs and found some great thrillers coupled with the odd rare, or maybe I should say, less well known publication like 'The Book of Bond'.

I used to be the same - especially with John Gardner books, as I had all of the Flemings by that stage in my Bond fan career. Then I discovered Amazon and went a bit mad and ordered a lot of James Bond related books, some of them very rare indeed. But I still like a perusal through charity/second-hand shops as you really never do know what you'll find. I recently found a signed Britt Ekland biography from 1980 for 25p for instance, though I didn't know that it had been signed until I got it home and had a proper look at it. So please do re-embrace the second-hand shop, @Bounine, you never know what you'll find!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,598
    DELETE
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,598
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

I used to be the same - especially with John Gardner books, as I had all of the Flemings by that stage in my Bond fan career. Then I discovered Amazon and went a bit mad and ordered a lot of James Bond related books, some of them very rare indeed. But I still like a perusal through charity/second-hand shops as you really never do know what you'll find. I recently found a signed Britt Ekland biography from 1980 for 25p for instance, though I didn't know that it had been signed until I got it home and had a proper look at it. So please do re-embrace the second-hand shop, @Bounine, you never know what you'll find!

Sounds like a good idea. I'm presently domiciled in Shanghai so I'll have to do a little more hunting in order to find an English second hand bookshop. :)
    Bounine wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. I'm presently domiciled in Shanghai so I'll have to do a little more hunting in order to find an English second hand bookshop. :)

Yes, that rings true! Happy hunting anyhow!