BBC Series anyone?

edited May 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
I have recently discovered some great BBC shows. I have a fondness for police dramas and find them so refreshing as compared to the shytt that we get here in the USA. I am not into the mystery "whodunit" but the cop dramas make my day. My favorites would be "Prime Suspect" and "The Commander".
I notice that these shows feature players who are not hot guys or supermodel chicks (Supernatural, CSI to name a few) the characters seem more real and one can actually relate to them (if I can just understand the accents more)
Helen Mirren is middle aged and I find her a great actress as well as the lead character of "The Commander". In "Blue Murder" the main protaganist is an overweight forty-something single mom. I admire that.
Hollywood is so obscessed with pleasing teen-aged boys that they forget about the rest of us old farts... LOL

Shows like Desperate Housewives and others show this sterile and make believe view of America. We see shows where law offices and police precincts are full of hot looking women and adonis looking men...come on!
I mean overseas viewers see shows like Desperate Housewives and think that all American women are glamorous (trust me they are not, foreign visitors are amazed at the number of fat-assed overweight women in the States--LOL)

I am hooked and cannot get enough of the quality police dramas coming out of the UK.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    Prime Suspect's not in fact a BBC show at all @OHMSS69, but made by Granada / ITV (a rival network). Just the pedant in me wanted to point that out!

If you like Prime Suspect, I imagine you'll love a show called Cracker, starring Robbie Coltrane (our very own Valentin Zukovsky) as a criminal psychologist. It's excellent. Would also recommend a 1990s BBC show called Our Friends in the North starring Mark Strong and a promising young actor called Daniel Craig.

Not a UK show at all but The Wire is great too if you haven't watched it yet. Doesn't feel at all "Hollywood"
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,341
    @Sir_James_Maloney
    I loved The Wire.
    It was quality TV and shows what American entertainment can be. It was on HBO and not network TV and this might have added to it's quality.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Sherlock. One of the best shows I have ever seen. Expertly written and acted, packed with content and always making you want more. If you are a Holmesian/Sherlockian like me, you will be even more impressed by how true to canon the show is. If you are a fan of the Doyle stories, prepare to geek out.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    As an Englishmen I feel like I should probably tell you that the BBC has also produced it's fair share of shite. Mrs Browns Boys, Eastenders, almost anything on BBC 3, etc.

But we're talking about the good stuff that the beeb has produced so here are my picks.

Sherlock is very good. Doctor Who has a few crap episodes but it's fun and if you like sci fi you'll probably enjoy it. Our Friends In The North is brilliant too.

The Accused is fantastic and well deserving of a watch and Life On Mars is just amazing, my favourite TV show of all time. The sequel, Ashes To Ashes, is worth a watch too.

Comedy wise, the early stuff from Only Fools And Horses is funny, Gavin And Stacey was good, Him And Her is a gem and The Royle Family is great.
    Prime Suspect's not in fact a BBC show at all @OHMSS69, but made by Granada / ITV (a rival network). Just the pedant in me wanted to point that out!

If you like Prime Suspect, I imagine you'll love a show called Cracker, starring Robbie Coltrane (our very own Valentin Zukovsky) as a criminal psychologist. It's excellent. Would also recommend a 1990s BBC show called Our Friends in the North starring Mark Strong and a promising young actor called Daniel Craig.

Not a UK show at all but The Wire is great too if you haven't watched it yet. Doesn't feel at all "Hollywood"

You said everything I wanted to say. Cracker was a great series.

And so was The Wire. I was about to reply to the OP that The Wire is by far superior to pretty much everything done in the US and UK that I have seen.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Sorry, you only meant Police Dramas. Well The Accused, (especially) Life On Mars and Sherlock still stand.

It's important not to limit yourself to the BBC though. ITV have done good shows. Cracker was great and The Sweeney is a fun 70s cop show. Channel 4 have made some of the best comedies of all time too.

Funny we're talking about the best of British telly now because the TV Baftas were just on.

Speaking of the Bafta's there was a nice Bond connection when it came to best actor. The new Q won an award that should've gone to Trevelayn.
    Sorry, you only meant Police Dramas. Well The Accused, (especially) Life On Mars and Sherlock still stand.

It's important not to limit yourself to the BBC though. ITV have done good shows. Cracker was great and The Sweeney is a fun 70s cop show. Channel 4 have made some of the best comedies of all time too.

Funny we're talking about the best of British telly now because the TV Baftas were just on.

Speaking of the Bafta's there was a nice Bond connection when it came to best actor. The new Q won an award that should've gone to Trevelayn.

Brittain is a small island.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I can also recommend Cracker for sure, although I have only seen a few.
    And what about Taggart? Wasn't it on forever? I liked the few episodes I was able to watch. (ITV again, I think)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Lets just say one program

Our Friends In The North

This was the last program that British TV produced that could actually go toe to toe with American programming, while we still make great television on occasion, Life On Mars, Ashes To Ashes, State of Play, Sherlock etc this for me was the last time we produced a drama that will stand the test of time and rightly sit next to the likes Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or Boys From The Black Stuff, it proves we can make programs other than the period costume series we seem to be known for around the rest of the world.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Luther is another great series worth watching.