Pinewood Studios Bond 24 / Star Wars Episode VII

edited May 2013 in News Posts: 12,506
Coverage on Sky news today regarding the new Star Wars movie to be filmed in the UK. Apparently Pinewood is to be the hot favourite to host the making of the film? As Disney currently has a 5 year deal in place with Pinewood. With filming to begin next next year, does this mean Bond 24 will relocate to another Pinewood studio somewhere else around the globe? Or does the facility have enough sound stages to accommodate both production? Unless Bond is now put back to 2015? Thoughts?

Comments

• edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    I haven't been a regular Grauniad reader for a few years now but their typography hasn't improved, has it? "License to Kill" and "M16" just in the opening couple of paragraphs.

I wouldn't worry too much about Bond leaving Britain. The article is part of Pinewood's current PR campaign to put political pressure on the Conservative Party and the local council to approve their expansion plan by publicly scaremongering that big productions will leave the UK if Pinewood don't get what they want.

(I don't want to seem too cynical. I'm in favour of Pinewood's expansion. The expansion was only rejected last time because the NIMBY vote is very powerful in Bucks)

The current UK tax credit for filmmaking makes it unlikely that Bond will leave the UK. When Pinewood was unavailable in 1995 Eon simply built Leavensden Studios (subsequently used for the Harry Potter films and now called Warner Bros. Studios) out of an old Rolls Royce factory.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 23,551
    This whole Star Wars thing still needs to settle with me. On the one hand, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, treating the original trilogy as almost divine. The prequels were thrown in my face when I was in my late teens, early twenties, and the adrenaline rush they often gave me caught me at my weakest. I will, for the reason alone, keep defending them as quality material though not quite as good as the original films.

On the other hand, I'm in my thirties now and if I ever get another Star Wars, I want it to be a more mature film, like Empire. The fact that Disney owns it, that Lucas won't be more than a consultant at best, that Williams is unlikely to score the films (and his scores were always a big part of the films), ... all of this, plus the objectionable 'Clone Wars' CGI-for-kids travesty, give me fears.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    This whole Star Wars thing still needs to settle with me. On the one hand, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, treating the original trilogy as almost divine. The prequels were thrown in my face when I was in my late teens, early twenties, and the adrenaline rush they often gave me caught me at my weakest. I will, for the reason alone, keep defending them as quality material though not quite as good as the original films.

On the other hand, I'm in my thirties now and if I ever get another Star Wars, I want it to be a more mature film, like Empire. The fact that Disney owns it, that Lucas won't be more than a consultant at best, that Williams is unlikely to score the films (and his scores were always a big part of the films), ... all of this, plus the objectionable 'Clone Wars' CGI-for-kids travesty, give me fears.

Williams will score the films. All are expecting him to anyway, including the man himself. Plus the stories are from Lucas so you can be he'll have input.
    I sure hope Bond 24 gets filmed in Pinewood. There is just something about this place.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Wasn't CR filmed mainly in Czech Barandov Studios? Look how that turned out, a one-off move away from Pinewood should not hurt. They also did it for MR and LTK.
    It may not hurt, but I think it is good for the spirit.
    They have a studio somewhere inthe far east dont they?