Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I sat through HIS GIRL FRIDAY and loved every second of it. They don't make them like this any more.

his-girl-friday.jpg
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I sat through HIS GIRL FRIDAY and loved every second of it. They don't make them like this any more.

his-girl-friday.jpg

Great film.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The crow - Salvation - An improvement on the second Crow movie but very violent and more style over substance, Kirsten Dunst is always a joy to see.

I loved the first two, but didn t care for this one.
    You'll really hate Wicked Prayer then! Jesus, that one is a parody!
    Never heard of it. New one?
    Well, 11 years new, lol. It was direct to video and starred Edward Furlong (John Connor)
    It was abysmal!!! It actually had a bunch of (normally) good actors in it too!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5lfrWXG6mRBdk2V7WbUjP6_CK2_QC8crdZFHTTG9Rnd6a6zh-TQ
    Can t be good. I guess I am one of the few who enjoyed the second. I thought it was actually as good as the first.
    I LOVED the second one! Criminally underrated!
    I wish I could get the directors cut, sometimes called 'The Crow: Second Coming', which they say is drastically different!
    Iggy Pop is terrific, as always.
    Bone Tomahawk

An interesting Western starring Kurt Russell. However, there are a couple of scenes in it that are extremely difficult to watch. Some of the most horrifying violence I've ever seen on film.
    Criminally underrated!

So are you going to arrest StMark?
    Saw Bone Tomahawk on the recommendation of a friend! It makes 'Wolf Creek' look like 'The Magic Roundabout'! Theres one scene in it that will stay with me the rest of my days! (if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about!)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

his-girl-friday.jpg

It is a brilliant movie, and I love the the dialogue and the wittiness of it without being too bloody obvious.

Criminally underrated!

I remember the second one not too much and with seeing this third one I found it easier to watch. And this one also has its share of decent actors.

Of course the Brandon Lee one is the one I prefer, and while I do like Marc Dacascos his the Crow tv series was kinda boring.
    Anyone else who bought the soundtrack for The Crow when it came out?
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 7,653
    I have got them both the rocksong music version and the actual musical score, I prefer the latter.
    The score was good, too.
    The score was good, too.

It was iconic.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Don't Breathe (2016)

I just came back from this 'horror' thriller starring Stephen Lang and a bunch of young up and comers. It lit the North American box office alight last weekend, dethroning 3 week chart topper Suicide Squad.

It's been a while since I've seen a low budget scare off your pants 'frightener' like this, and it hit the spot. Tense, edge of your seat thrills throughout. Lang makes a creepy villain, and Jane Levy shows promise (I hear she will be in next year's Twin Peaks revival, and I can see how she would be excellent in that setting).

This film's got a bit of a Panic Room flavour to it, but it's not up to the level of that David Fincher thriller. It's still worth a watch though, although it's a bit predictable towards the end.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,696
    Made another trip to the cinema tonight, this time for...

The Shallows (2016)

This is now one of my favorites of the year so far. Simple, yet very effective story of survival. Blake Lively is such a babe, and showcases great acting chops, so I was very much involved in the film. Gorgeous cinematography with vibrant colours. The last 20 minutes made me bitting my fingernails, very intense. Bring on the director's next film, 'The Commuter', which will be his 4th collaboration with Liam Neeson.

Tomorrow I'll make 2 more trips to the cinema for Mechanic: Resurrection and Blood Father.
    Criminally underrated!

;) To each his own. But I'd watch Salvation 100 times before sitting through Wicked Prayer again...

If there's one thing that turns me off of Crow City of Angels, it's that damn yellow tint!!!
    I appreciate artistic stuff like that used in moderation. Stallone's Cobra did that a couple times, in red, and it was cool! City of Angels is tinted nasty yellow throughout the entire damn movie!! (or green once or twice)

Look at this still from the movie:

tumblr_o2gz7vY2TX1rr8qsxo1_500.jpg

vs these two promo shots:

the-Crow-city-of-angels-3.jpgashemia.jpg

It's like seeing clearly for the first time!
    Some people wish for a cut of Human Centipede 2 in color (those who like the movie, that is)-- I wish for a cut of City of Angels without the damn tint!!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The Shallows 2016

I always tread carefully when it comes to Shark movies. Unlike say gangster movies although we have our masterpieces like The Godather 1 & 2 and Goodfellas there are other films in the genre while not as satisfying there is still quality product on offer, Sharks on celluloid don't have the same rich selection.

There really is only one Shark masterpiece and that is Jaws, not only is it the pinnacle of blockbuster film making it's also one of the greatest motion pictures of all time. Yes 2 is entertaining but the 3D one and the one with Michael Caine in are utter junk.

I will confess a penchant for Renny Harlin's trashy Deep Blue Sea ( Samuel Jackson's demise is worth admission fee on its own), some found footage films were OK a few years back but lets face it there is only one granddaddy and it's unlikely to change.

I caught the trailer to The Shallows a few months back and admit to being intrigued. Nancy (Blake Lively) has taken a trip to a secluded beach which is revealed to have a deep personal connection in the course of the film. She is here for some surfing and soul searching. Unfortunatley she's picked the wrong spot to do this as a territorial great white shark is using this area for feeding.

Depite it's economical 82 minutes this a slow bulid and also still gets time to breathe even after the first attack comes. This is Lively's show and not really an actress I've really rated before but she gives it her all here and provides us with one of the most formidable female heroines of recent times.

Those worried about the actual shark needn't worry, director Jaume Collet-Serra wisely like Spielberg chooses to use the shark sparingly and show it when really nescessary but near the end when it gets shown the most the C.G.I doesn't let us down and in all it's glory it's quite a formidable sight, Collett Serra makes the most of his $17000,000 budget.

It does for the most part try to offer something different from the obvious large shadow that hangs over all shark films but by the end it embraces it's nemesis and the riffs while recognisable are handled well and I had no problem with fantastical climax when it came.

We also get some quiet character moments and an unusual buddy in the shape of a seagul, Steven Seagul. From the moment Nancy enters the water I found myself on edge waiting for something to happen but the director isn't going to rush things but the tension is building throughout. In a crowded summer market of sequels and comic book adaptations, The Shallows is definitely a refreshing change and well worth a visit to the multiplex.

4/5
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Anyone else who bought the soundtrack for The Crow when it came out?

That soundtrack was a moment in time! Had 'Burn' from The Cure (written specifically for the film I think?), my favourite tune was Golgotha Tenement Blues by Machines of Loving Grace. Classic 90s industrial song. But also the Nine Inch Nails cover of Joy Division's 'Dead Souls' was perfect for the mood and also a big fan of The Jesus and Mary Chain so having their cynically funny turn of phrase on 'Snakedriver' was good. Along with Helmet, Rollins Band and Rage Against The Machine - this was emblematic of the 90s 'alternative' era and means there is hardly a frame of that film not accompanied by music.
    The original The Crow (1994) has a lot of significance for me. Love it. Haven't seen the sequels and I don't really plan on it.
    2 & 3 are worth checking out at least. They at least had the good sense not to recast Brandon Lee. Each movie features a whole new character, rather than Eric Draven.

There are rumblings of a reboot (though granted this does happen every couple years it seems) with Jason Mamoa in talks for the lead. He would look intimidating in that makeup, that's for sure.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The Shallows 2016

I always tread carefully when it comes to Shark movies. Unlike say gangster movies although we have our masterpieces like The Godather 1 & 2 and Goodfellas there are other films in the genre while not as satisfying there is still quality product on offer, Sharks on celluloid don't have the same rich selection.

There really is only one Shark masterpiece and that is Jaws, not only is it the pinnacle of blockbuster film making it's also one of the greatest motion pictures of all time. Yes 2 is entertaining but the 3D one and the one with Michael Caine in are utter junk.

I will confess a penchant for Renny Harlin's trashy Deep Blue Sea ( Samuel Jackson's demise is worth admission fee on its own), some found footage films were OK a few years back but lets face it there is only one granddaddy and it's unlikely to change.

I caught the trailer to The Shallows a few months back and admit to being intrigued. Nancy (Blake Lively) has taken a trip to a secluded beach which is revealed to have a deep personal connection in the course of the film. She is here for some surfing and soul searching. Unfortunatley she's picked the wrong spot to do this as a territorial great white shark is using this area for feeding.

Depite it's economical 82 minutes this a slow bulid and also still gets time to breathe even after the first attack comes. This is Lively's show and not really an actress I've really rated before but she gives it her all here and provides us with one of the most formidable female heroines of recent times.

Those worried about the actual shark needn't worry, director Jaume Collet-Serra wisely like Spielberg chooses to use the shark sparingly and show it when really nescessary but near the end when it gets shown the most the C.G.I doesn't let us down and in all it's glory it's quite a formidable sight, Collett Serra makes the most of his $17000,000 budget.

It does for the most part try to offer something different from the obvious large shadow that hangs over all shark films but by the end it embraces it's nemesis and the riffs while recognisable are handled well and I had no problem with fantastical climax when it came.

We also get some quiet character moments and an unusual buddy in the shape of a seagul, Steven Seagul. From the moment Nancy enters the water I found myself on edge waiting for something to happen but the director isn't going to rush things but the tension is building throughout. In a crowded summer market of sequels and comic book adaptations, The Shallows is definitely a refreshing change and well worth a visit to the multiplex.

4/5

I agree with most of your review but do feel like the climax, yes, jumped the shark. It was a bit too over the top for me.
    I must say, I have not seen anything else in which Blake Lively has appeared; along with her obvious attributes, she is a very personable, naturalistic actress, very likable.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,069
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I watched 'Wolf Creek' yesterday,turned it off half way through

Man,that's a sick film - I think I will pass on the TV series as well,now.

I haven't seen 'Wolf Creek' but I'm a big fan of Rogue the giant croc film from the same director, Greg McLean. It's a beautifully shot film with excellent character development and an exceptional musical score.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,696
    1st trip to the cinema today, for...

Mechanic: Resurrection (2016)

One of the most entertaining action films of the year. Goes straight in my top 3 Statham action films. Statham just travels around the world (Brazil, Bulgaria, Thailand - including Ha Long Bay-, Australia and Malaysia) to plan some kills that must look like accidents (basically, the same plot as his other film, 'Killer Elite', but both are extremely badass films so I didn't mind). The fight scenes are extremely badass, Statham just destroys goons with some brutal punches, and he also manages some highly impressive headshots. 90 minutes of wall to wall action with Statham, is all I can ask for a fun way to spend a good time. By the way, @bondjames, Tommy Lee Jones is an absolute riot in this film, he is visibly having tons of fun, and has great chemistry with Statham.

Tonight: Blood Father with Mel Gibson.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DaltonCraig007, I didn't even know that Tommy Lee Jones was in Mechanic. That's one more reason for me to check this film out asap (the other being the MR Sugar Loaf Mountain cable car tribute).

I'm going to be seeing War Dogs first though. Morgan opens later this week and I'll be seeing that too. Busy week!
    @bondjames that reminds me - what seems to happen in the trailer (when Statham jumps off the cable car) is much more badass in the film when you'll find out what Statham is actually aiming to catch.