Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

I like the idea of Joe Wright doing one. Hanna was interesting. May be get the Chemical Bros to do the soundtrack...
    Getafix wrote:
    I like the idea of Joe Wright doing one. Hanna was interesting. May be get the Chemical Bros to do the soundtrack...

It was, but mainly from an optical PoV which is why i would be afraid of the same "ALL STYLE, NO SUBSTANCE" Approach Mendes is practicing in SF, so rather not (if you were kind enough to ask me, that is)
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

It was, but mainly from an optical PoV which is why i would be afraid of the same "ALL STYLE, NO SUBSTANCE" Approach Mendes is practicing in SF, so rather not (if you were kind enough to ask me, that is)

Agreed, but I think the action in Hanna is actually much better than anything in SF and that is an important factor. The SF action sequences feel like lumbering hangovers from a mid-80s TV show. I don't know if Mendes used a second unit, but he is no action director. I think Joe Wright gets that aspect of directing a bit better. Having said that, I share your concern that his films are a bit overly obsessed with aesthetics. It's not necessarily a problem is the script is good and you have a strong cast. For all the talk of the cinematography in SF, QoS and CR are both better looking films IMO and that is no bad thing.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I really hope it's Danny Boyle. He's now wrapping up Trance and has no future film projects, he has a clear love of all things Bond (see the lovely references in Trainspotting) and he has good links with EON over the Olympics shindig. Plus he's an ace director, but Boyle has sworn off big budget films, so he would need talking into it.

It's a shame about Mendes not returning, but not entirely unexpected. He's busy, and why wreck the legacy and goodwill towards Skyfall if he couldn't guarantee it would better it, at least given his timetable.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @Getafix

I wholeheartedly disagree with the action comments - its lovely to be able to actually see what is happening in action sequences, especially in light of this current trend of quick cutting.

And Alexander Witt was the second unit director. He also did CR.
    Mallory wrote:
    @Getafix

I wholeheartedly disagree with the action comments - its lovely to be able to actually see what is happening in action sequences, especially in light of this current trend of quick cutting.

And Alexander Witt was the second unit director. He also did CR.

Funny. Apart from the admittedly impressive chase at the start, I was also underwhelmed by the other main action sequence in CR - the Miami airport sequence.

But I stand by what I said about Hanna. The action and fight scenes are easy to follow and IMO are much more tense and exciting than anything in SF.

And, as we all know, action is character, so great action sequences are vital to a good Bond movie. The way in which Bond moves and acts is as integral to who he is as what he says and his emotional inner life - perhaps more so.
  • I keep having to revise my list of my top 5 directors for Bond 24, but I'm definitely pulling hard for Wright, Hooper, and Affleck.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I keep having to revise my list of my top 5 directors for Bond 24, but I'm definitely pulling hard for Wright, Hooper, and Affleck.

Forget Affleck. I'm not a Ben hater like some but Bond directors should be British - or at least have a solid grasp of Britishness.

My current list of people who might realistically do it (so forget Nolan and Spielberg) and in order of preference:

Joe Wright
    Matthew Vaughn
    Tom Hooper
    Danny Boyle
    Paul Mcguigan (bit of a punt this one I'll gran you but his work on Sherlock is very good. Can he make the step up though?)
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I agree with what @cooperman says. I think a very important thing is for the director to have a bit of enthusiasm for the series prior to taking on the job. Not to the point of "geekeness" but someone who has at least an appreciation for the films/books. Imagine taking a job where you have little knowledge of the industry before-hand? It would be harder for you to adapt.

I just don't get the feeling Foster was a fan of Bond. It seemed he would consider it "beneath him"

I don't know if Forster was a fan or not but he stepped into the breach at a difficult moment and delivered IMO what is one of the better Bond films of recent years. Given the significant problems he had to address with the script I think he did a pretty decent job. I think he picked up on some genuinely Bondian motifs and also brought a fresh and forward-looking look and feel to the film. Overall I regard his entry as a qualified success.

I think there were some nice moments but overall it felt like he was trying to be too clever. There's a lot of un-necessary shots in there which don't really contribute to much (do you really need a close up of a beer glass or some ornimental rocks, they don't add anything to the story but are there because they look cool). There's also the poor editing of the action which people have gone over hundreds of times...and it IS poor. Its over-edited to the point where you tune out and its no longer exciting. By comparison the Miami Aport chase sequence is a brilliant piece of film-making - YOU DON'T NOTICE THE CUTS.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think Danny Boyle is a likely choice and it's something I'd like to see. I'd be more excited about him being announced than I was about Mendes (or any of the Bond directors actually, even more excited than when they announced Campbell was returning).
    I posted this back in October in a long since defunct thread, @thelivingroyale...

Just to remind those that when Boyle was asked about directing Bond 23 this is what was reported. A spokesperson for Boyle told WENN: ‘While Danny says he always has and always will enjoy the Bond movies he has no plans to direct one. Danny is naturally flattered to be thought of!’

I think its logical that Boyle is on Eon's list but I'm not so sure he will be directing one. I'm not even convinced Mendes will return as he seems to think he's given everything to Skyfall. Maybe after a long break away from the series he might reconsider but I suppose that depends on the script that's in development right now and when early production needs to begin. Maybe Tom Hooper or Joe Wright might also be in the frame?

Of course, Boyle might have had a change of heart since Skyfall.

I'm with @Getafix on this one and think Joe Wright would be a good choice.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Wright could be good though, I did like Hanna.
  • My pick would be Kathryn Bigelow. Did a great job on Zero Dark Thirty and I'm a fan of her 1995 film 'Strange Days'.The idea of a female director might appeal to Barbara Broccoli. Also, I don't think she's currently attached to a project
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I would quite like to see Alrick Riley given the opportunity after his work on some of the best tv
    In the last few years spooks was one of his about time he brought his talent to films.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I'm really beginning to think that Bond 24 will be released away from the new Nolan-film, perhaps November 2015 or spring 2016.

Why?.. EON are not threatened by Nolan... i think it more realistic that WB push Nolan's film back to summer 2015 date than Bond being pushed back.... i dont understand what your obsession over Nolan is... it's borderline unhealthy..
    Hey guys. 'Skyfall' came four years after 'Quantum Of Solace'.

because there was no other choice....

not sure when you joined this forum, or when you started to pay attention to Bond, but Skyfall (then just simply known as Bond 23) was slated to come out in 2011.. but because of MGM's financial situation they were forced to put pre-production on hold.. Which resulted in writer Peter Morgan walking away from the project.. please commit this to memory, so that way you don't forget it again..
    My pick would be Kathryn Bigelow. Did a great job on Zero Dark Thirty and I'm a fan of her 1995 film 'Strange Days'.The idea of a female director might appeal to Barbara Broccoli. Also, I don't think she's currently attached to a project

Maybe the only American I would like to see directing a Bond movie. Hurt Locker was great, intelligent and it was such a masculine movie, if that makes any sense.

But I am still waiting, hoping for the next Terence Young.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The closest to Terrence Young IMO would have been Campbell if he came back to do a 3rd movie but as it stands, that's not going to happen.
    If Boyle was hired it'd make me happy Mendes left. He's made some of my favourite films and seems to be a Bond fan. I hope he's changed his mind since what he said before SF was announced.

Edgar Wright I'd still like to see but there's not too much chance of that happening either.
    doubleoego wrote:
    The closest to Terrence Young IMO would have been Campbell if he came back to do a 3rd movie but as it stands, that's not going to happen.

I Wonder who could be. British, ideally, experienced enough to direct such movie, but young enough to be able to make a few...

I think Danny Boyle is a likely choice and it's something I'd like to see. I'd be more excited about him being announced than I was about Mendes (or any of the Bond directors actually, even more excited than when they announced Campbell was returning).
    Really ? I'm worried that we'd have cheesy scenes like the Olympic ceremony....Reminded me of the worst Roger Moore's moments.
    maxcraig wrote:
    Really ? I'm worried that we'd have cheesy scenes like the Olympic ceremony....Reminded me of the worst Roger Moore's moments.

That was the Olympics, not a Bond movie.
    Ludovico wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

Yeah but it showed you how Danny Boyle sees Bond movies kind of.
    You mean Bond jumping out of a plane with a parachute? I think that's how most of us see Bond.
  • maxcraig wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

Yeah but it showed you how Danny Boyle sees Bond movies kind of.

I don't understand that at all - is there an interview with him that you saw where he stated that that's how he wanted to direct a Bond film? Because a humourous sketch in an opening ceremony is obviously going to be done in a very different way than a feature length film. I can't see a SF style short story with the Queen seeming very appropriate to the opening ceremony. They wanted something more comic to amp the crowd up and get them happy and excited. The next director of a Bond film wouldn't be operating under such audience constraints.
    doubleoego wrote:
    You mean Bond jumping out of a plane with a parachute? I think that's how most of us see Bond.
    No I mean the shots of the dogs (supposed to be funny), the Churchill statue ....
    edited March 2013 Posts: 11,139
    I think @Thelordflasheart summed up the agenda of what Boyle was doing for the Olympics.
    doubleoego wrote:
    I think @Thelordflasheart summed up the agenda of what Boyle was doing for the Olympics.
    I hope he's right.
    Anyway we are talking about something that won't happen. Just speculations.
    The Olympic bit was Bond skydiving in with the Queen. It was meant to be cheesey and not taken seriously, I really don't think he'd approach a real Bond film like that.

Have you seen Boyle's movies? Because he's done some good films. Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, etc. Brilliant director that I think we'd be lucky to get.
    The Olympic bit was Bond skydiving in with the Queen. It was meant to be cheesey and not taken seriously, I really don't think he'd approach a real Bond film like that.

Have you seen Boyle's movies? Because he's done some good films. Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, etc. Brilliant director that I think we'd be lucky to get.
    Yeah I 've seen his movies.