Skyfall Props, & M's real name

brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
edited February 2013 in Skyfall Posts: 1,400
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100663

(Did a search for this, saw no reference to her name)

Comments

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited February 2013 Posts: 1,400
    did a search for her name, came up zero.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It may be worth it's own thread in fact. Better here than in the DVD/BD one in my view.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I really thought her name could be revealed on SF. Upsetting. :/
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Maybe it's Maybelline
    Maybe it's Maybelline

Maybe it's Madge.

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    001 wrote:
    Maybe it's Maybelline

Maybe it's Madge.

Then she ages quicker then we thought... *cringe*
  • But her hands will never be dish panned. I'm sure though the rest of her has fallen off by now ;)
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Double post, sorry.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I wonder if it's a coincidence that the first real life head of MI6 is called Mansfield Smith-Cumming. Does Olivia have a link somewhere?
    Olivia is the name of Craig's mother
    001 wrote:
    Maybe it's Maybelline

Maybe it's Madge.

Then she ages quicker then we thought... *cringe*

Maybe it's Mindy.

• Wasn't her name Barbara something, as revealed in the GoldenEye Novelisation?
  • When parts of the script went on to ebay I know some people here bought pages, and I remember one user saying that in her final moments intitially Bond was to ask M what her name was and her reply was 'Olivia'. Then she would die. Instead we got the "at least I did something right" line.

It be nice if those who have read it could confirm.
  • It is interesting how Judi Dench's M is the only M that hasn't had her name revealed.
    Bernard Lee's M was referred to as Miles in TSWLM and I think its in the book of TMWTGG.
    Robert Brown's M is often assumed to be a promoted General Hargreaves.
    We're introduced to Gareth Mallory before he's even promoted to M (I think we all clocked that he'd be the new M even before the film came out).

Just kinda interesting.
    I know in the novels there are several references to M's first name, and yeah Bond gives the full name over the phone (and an unsecure line!)
    Wasn't her name Barbara something, as revealed in the GoldenEye Novelisation?

Judi Dench plays two Ms. In the Brosnan films (and Raymond Benson novels) her name is Barbara Mawdley. That's revealed in the Goldeneye screenplay and used by Benson in his novels and novelisations. Then in the Craig era she plays a new M named Oliva Mansfield. I like this, it really establishes that even though it's the same actress, it's two different timelines
  • bondbat007 wrote:
    Wasn't her name Barbara something, as revealed in the GoldenEye Novelisation?

Judi Dench plays two Ms. In the Brosnan films (and Raymond Benson novels) her name is Barbara Mawdley. That's revealed in the Goldeneye screenplay and used by Benson in his novels and novelisations. Then in the Craig era she plays a new M named Oliva Mansfield. I like this, it really establishes that even though it's the same actress, it's two different timelines

Is this a hypothesis or did you read this somewhere?
  • The real name of M? Is it really that important? She was M, she died. Time to move on.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 37
    The real name of M? Is it really that important? She was M, she died. Time to move on.
    Of course it isn't important - just like 99% of the other posts on this forum can't be considered important. However, it's fun to find out trivia and little things about the movies that I never knew.
  • Taffin wrote:
    The real name of M? Is it really that important? She was M, she died. Time to move on.
    Of course it isn't important - just like 99% of the other posts on this forum can't be considered important. However, it's fun to find out trivia and little things about the movies that I never knew.

Fair point but I don't recall her name being mentioned in any of her movies so therefore it will never be known. We can speculate for fun but I'd rather discuss what we do know.
  • When parts of the script went on to ebay I know some people here bought pages, and I remember one user saying that in her final moments intitially Bond was to ask M what her name was and her reply was 'Olivia'. Then she would die. Instead we got the "at least I did something right" line.

It be nice if those who have read it could confirm.

It would be rather embarrassing that the writers of SF don't remember their own dialogue from CR...or perhaps it was different writers for the different scenes?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

It's damn important to me.

It's damn important to me.

It's Em. Move on..........

• Barbra Mawdsley
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Barbra Mawdsley

That's the M from Brosnan's era, not Craig's era.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,189
    Barbra Mawdsley

That's the M from Brosnan's era, not Craig's era.

Parallel universe involving the same character, that's how I always figured it. anyway to some extent you're right it doesn't matter, but not that she's gone I'd like to wonder what her real name is. We know that Bernard Lee's M's name was Miles Messervy, and that's a nice touch to have now that he's gone as well. I'd like to think that Judy's M's name was: Margaret Masservy. She looks like a Maggie to me, and going along with the whole new Bond re-boot era idea I think it's a nice thought to imagine that she and Lee were symbolically the same person. I say symbolic because obviously Fiennes' Gareth Mallory is intended to be a physical re-incarnation of Lee's character.
    Mentioned earlier, but it would be cool to have paintings of Lee and Dench in his office.
  • If I am not mistaken, M's name was Emma, as she was called that a couple of times throughout the film of SKYFALL.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    If I am not mistaken, M's name was Emma, as she was called that a couple of times throughout the film of SKYFALL.

Only by Kincade. He only calls her "Emma" because he hears Bond call her M, but he takes his pronunciation of her name as "Em", short for "Emma", hence why he calls her that. Quite a cute little mix up they put in there.