Skyfall - Gun barrel at the start (HD)

2»

Comments

• hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    edited February 2013 Posts: 290
    Sandy wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:
    I actually laughed the first time I saw the Skyfall opening. Felt kinda cheesy o.O

Please do elaborate, what exactly in the opening felt cheesy to you?

It's just a cheesy idea lol, having him step out with the music springing in like that.

I guess it's a very subjective thing, but when I first saw it my first reaction was something of a grimace!

I guess - like the rest of Skyfall - it's just a bit too easy.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,661
    The cover of Adele's Skyfall single had Craig in front of the gun barrel background

http://latino-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DAVESKYFALL.jpg

and the teaser poster was the same.

http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/Blog/English/FullSize/skyfall-teaser-poster.jpg

The marketing of Skyfall exploited the gun barrel imagery but the film didn't start with any. Weird and (unintentionally) comical.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Well, it was the plan but it changed, that's life. For the next film they'll begin with idea of starting the film again with the gun barrel and unless any opening shots get in the way, it'll happen. Then your 'original Bond' may return.
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    fanbond123 wrote:
    The cover of Adele's Skyfall single had Craig in front of the gun barrel background

http://latino-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DAVESKYFALL.jpg

and the teaser poster was the same.

http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/Blog/English/FullSize/skyfall-teaser-poster.jpg

The marketing of Skyfall exploited the gun barrel imagery but the film didn't start with any. Weird and (unintentionally) comical.

Yeah... after THIS, it was laughable (to me)...

Now THAT'S how you start a Bond film!
  • No the hallway sequence is very good. It's the combination of a number of things that make it so fantastic. The first being the absence of 4 years since QOS, the music, Daniel Craig, but more importantly than all of those its Roger Deakins sublime lighting. I'd happily sacrifice the GB if we had as gorgeous an opening shot as that.

As for Ronson; he is very important to the film I think. Bond knows someday he will be Ronson, left for dead having been sacrificed for the mission. It's very reminiscent of Fleming's Bond. He wants to help Ronson as he knows it's not the man's fault he has been left the way he has, but ultimately he can't. It gives Bond a conscious.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Well, it was the plan but it changed, that's life. For the next film they'll begin with idea of starting the film again with the gun barrel and unless any opening shots get in the way, it'll happen. Then your 'original Bond' may return.

I don't get the logic here. It's not like they just stumbled across the opening shot one day is it?

Isn't the whole thing storyboarded? And I would imagine the first storyboard that gets drawn is one with white dots going across the page and you go from there and work out your opening shot.

If the closing shot of the PTS had been so brilliant that for whatever reason Mendes couldn't bear to have it interfered with would we have just dropped the song and title sequence and just cut to the next scene?
    I'm sure that's something you'd have the ask him. The song position will never change. As you said the storyboards may well begin with the white dots, then the opening scenes. Maybe then it was decided it wouldn't work.

But I bet you one thing, it won't happen again. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    Personally I'd have had an establishing crane shot of the skyline and the Grand Bazaar, pan down, the silence is broken as a bike roars into shot, followed by another, it's Bond in pursuit. M - 'Where's the drive?', Bond - 'I'm tracking it'. Don't get me wrong, the opening bit with Ronson is cool, and it establishes that M is not afraid to view her agents as disposable, but ordering the shot that 'kills' Bond, ably demonstrates this.

Now we get into the minutia of scripting and film-making. I think that losing the Ronson bit would have been detrimental to the character development and overall "mood" of SF. If Bond is the only agent expendable in the beginning, then maybe the issue is just with him. But by also sacrificing Ronson it shows M's desperation to get the drive more clearly (it also removes the idea that the strained relationship with Bond or her being angry with him made her willing to sacrifice him). Although the issue is brought up later in the film with her sacrificing Silva, it doesn't carry the weight that Ronson's death does because Silva is the villain (and deserved to be sacrificed). Also, neither Bond nor Silva really died so Ronson dying brings more weight to the situation. The MI6 agents who died in the explosion were never seen, so even Ronson's brief screentime makes the idea of his death resonate more with the audience.

Ronson's death also gives Bond more reason to be angry with M when he confronts her in her flat. Now, instead of just being angry about what was done to him, he can also have "righteous anger" about her decisions in general. So it doesn't devolve into a personal spat; it's about M's style of leadership (this also plays into there being a new M at the end as well; one who is very different from Dench's M). It also gives more weight to M's decision to allow herself to be used as bait at Skyfall.

So while the inclusion of the Ronson character may seem like a small thing, it does have a lot of importance to the film and I'd be loathe to lose him.

I totally understand your point, it's partly down to my indifference to the structure of the plot generally. This construct of M being simultaneously ruthless and slapdash is never raised in CR and QoS. It's invented purely as a plot driver. She 'knows' he's her top agent but sacrifices him for what? Leaking a list stored on a hard drive. Silva is a hacker, if he wanted the info he'd surely be able to get it by any means. I don't buy it. That's why I think it should have been personal. Allowing her agents to die in the field is pretty much irrelevant, it's the leak that leaves her clinging to her job. However, this is way off topic and probably for another thread.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    it'll happen

We all assumed that for Skyfall and look how that turned out.

I'm not getting my hopes up and until I see it or here concrete evidence of it I'm going to assume the Bond 24 gunbarrel is at the end with the same terrible QOS design. That way I can't be disappointed.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    You missed out my "unless any opening shots get in the way" part of the quote.

I agree, until we get confirmation expect anything and everything next time. It's all fair game now. Who knows what they'll do.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    But I bet you one thing, it won't happen again. ;)

I'm wondering on what basis you can have such certitude?

After CR everyone said 'now the reboot is over and Bond has become Bond so QOS will have it at the beginning.'

After QOS everyone said 'now the Vesper reboot story is over Bond has become Bond so SF will have it at the beginning.'

After SF everyone said 'M, Q, Moneypenny and the classic office are all in place so the reboot is over and Bond has become Bond and Bond 23 will have it at the beginning.'

First of all notice the wink. As I've already said, if it the plan to put it at the start of Skyfall, I've no doubt it will also be the plan to put it at the start of Bond 24 and as long as some great looking imagery doesn't get in the way, those plans shouldn't change. Hopefully.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    First of all notice the wink. As I've already said, if it the plan to put it at the start of Skyfall, I've no doubt it will also be the plan to put it at the start of Bond 24 and as long as some great looking imagery doesn't get in the way, those plans shouldn't change. Hopefully.

You make the SF opening shot sound like some conquistadors trekking through Arizona who come across the Grand Canyon for the first time and are left with no choice but to turn around and go back.
    Hay, I'm just repeating what they said with their reasoning for moving the gun barrel. I never gave my opinion on it.

Samuel001 wrote:
    it'll happen

I'm not getting my hopes up and until I see it or here concrete evidence of it I'm going to assume the Bond 24 gunbarrel is at the end with the same terrible QOS design. That way I can't be disappointed.

Just for you they make sure they put it at the start. They don't want you to be disappointed ;)

I understand why some die hard fans want it but as a reboot means things change and they can mess around with things as much as they like. If some don't like it live with it or go watch the old Bond films for a 20 second GB. For me, its about the two hours on screen and seen as Craig Bond's have done great at the box office it doesnt seem to have bothered many.
  • RC7RC7
    lahaine wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    it'll happen

Just for you they make sure they put it at the start. They don't want you to be disappointed ;)

I understand why some die hard fans want it but as a reboot means things change and they can mess around with things as much as they like. If some don't like it live with it or go watch the old Bond films for a 20 second GB. For me, its about the two hours on screen and seen as Craig Bond's have done great at the box office it doesnt seem to have bothered many.

Reboot shmeeboot. GB at the beginning should be good for everyone. Balls to the semantics.
    Crap. Work better at the end. Fanboys. Get a life.
  • RC7RC7
    Stamper wrote:
    Crap. Work better at the end. Fanboys. Get a life.

Yeah, it's just fanboys. No one in their right mind would want it anywhere but the end.