If Ian Fleming were alive today ...

OligarchOligarch Banned
edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 110
would he be happy with the 007 franchise and especially how EON has handled it so far throughout the years based on your personal views ?

Comments

He'll be bloody old.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I would have loved to see what he thought of the camp-tastic 70s and 80s Bond, mostly thanks to the man that he seriously once considered to be a great possible 007- Mr. Roger Moore.

Who is to say how he would have felt? Fleming hated DN but it grew on him, as did Sean and the subsequent releases he was alive to see up to GF, so really maybe they all could grow on him in some way? Where I think he would be very proud is with how Tim's Bond era was handled. And I would also like to think that he would enjoy Dan's take too, now that we have explored the character on a deeper level than ever before and even went back and examined his past and given him many flaws. I also think he would like the more personal M/Bond relationship that is present in Dan's era. But like I said, only the man can know, which means we can never.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 546
    I agree. If Ian Fleming was still alive today, he would be proud of the James Bond franchise & the current direction from EON, Michael & Barbara. I also believe he would be a fan of Daniel Craig as 007.
  • Oligarch wrote:
    would he be happy with the 007 franchise and especially how EON has handled it so far throughout the years based on your personal views ?

To be honest, I think more than anything he'd be happy at how successful the franchise was and how much money it had made.

My feeling on Fleming was that he was not as big a Bond fan as some of the members here. Others more educated than me can fill in the details, but he tired of Bond quickly and his novels become repetitive and the quality lessened over time. He also adjusted the character to reflect Connery's popular interpretation in the films, which is interesting considering that he was no fan of casting Connery in the first place. Funny how success changes your principles!

Fleming craved attention and being able to move in "higher circles" (hence his friendship with Noel Coward even though Fleming had very retrograde ideas about homosexuals). So I think he'd be happy as long as the films were popular and made money, although he might have had a renewed interest and appreciation during Dalton and Craig's tenures.

And remember, Bond was very much a Marty Stu character for Fleming so the actor playing Bond may have influenced how Fleming viewed the films i.e. is this actor the type of man that I wish I was?

• edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I think with Craig it would be a similar scenerio it was with Connery.

"A blonde, working class looking man as Commander Bond? Dreadful!"

However once he sees the pre-title sequence of CR along with the shot of him nursing his wounds and downing booze he'd go weak at the knees.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think with Craig it would be a similar scenerio it was with Connery.

"A blonde, working class looking man as Commander Bond? Dreadful!"

However once he sees the pre-title sequence of CR along with the shot of him nursing his wounds and downing booze he'd go weak at the knees.

I completely agree :)>- I'd add Bond seducing Solange.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think he'd like Craig's interpretation!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I don't think Craig is the closest we've had to Flemings character by the way, but there are aspects which Craig gets brilliantly - and I'm sure would be appreciated by Mr Fleming.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,813
    I feel like he wouldn't have thought highly of Lazenby-- not that Lazenby was bad, but just a gut feeling- I don't think he would have taken kindly to GL's attitude on set

On the other hand he probably would have loved Dalton-- who made it a point to follow the books as closely as possible!
    Just imagine if Dalton not only had the books to go by- but to have Ian himself right on set to guide him even better!!