We touched on the incompetent how's about the most competent henchman (henchmen, woman)

edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
I would have to say Kidd and Wint. they may have resembled a comedy troup at times but were coldly efficient at their jobs.

OddJob set the standard

Dario this baby faced psychopath gets honorable mention

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Urma Bunt. She killed Bond's wife and lived to get away! Winner.
  • Necros. Cold, brutal, efficient. He didn't really mess up at all apart from when he had to fight Bond on the plane.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    doubleoego wrote:

Very true, Irma is the quintessential competent henchwoman, she does the job, almost destroys Bond, and lives to tell the story.
    Onatop, she is a real flipping psycho.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I would have to say Kidd and Wint. they may have resembled a comedy troup at times but were coldly efficient at their jobs.

Apart from failing to kill Bond on three separate occasions? The only people they kill apart from Plenty (if we are to assume they kill her) are all aged 60 or over. Hardly Red Grant are they?

Grant is pretty efficient in killing without leaving a trace and Necros is also another good shout and on reflection he may well be one of the most underrated henchmen.

You may say Grant makes a mess of it but its his greed to blame for that. Until that point he has Bond in the killing bottle and is about to put the cork in (to quote a bit of Fleming). And its not like he has a record of serial failure like Wint and Kidd. He makes one tiny slip and it costs him.

Necros makes a bigger cock up for me. Why does he strangle Bond with the net? He has a knife on him so why doesn’t he just slit his throat or shank him? At least Grant is unlucky in that his downfall comes somewhat out of the blue. Necros is author of his own demise by giving Bond too much of a chance. But still not in Wint and Kidds class at giving Bond a second and third bite of the cherry.

Jaws and Oddjob? Too stupid and reasonably easy to outsmart. They rely only on physical bulk. Grant and Necros seem altogether smarter so I would give them the edge.

Fiona? Not bad gets rid of Lippe quite efficiently and seems to have the upper hand on Bond right up until she dies. And her death takes quite a good bit of quick thinking and fast reactions for Bond to pull off so she could be considered a little unlucky.

Bunt does have to be classed as right up there for the simple fact she kills Tracy and walks away. Perhaps she did for Campbell as well? But ultimately Blofeld could’ve had any goon shoot Tracy and walk away. She doesn’t do that much apart from that though so I don’t think she can be called an all time great.

May Day is pretty good in killing Aubergine, Tibbet and Lee and for catching the KGB guy at the pipeline and lifting that bloke above her head at Ascot. And she also dumps that guy from the airship pretty coldly. If we weren’t robbed of a final smack down with Bond (I guess to be fair they thought it wouldn’t be credible if Rog beat her as its pretty obvious she could kick seven shades out of him) she’d certainly have a claim at being the most competent.

I would go top 3 of Grant, May Day and Necros. You could say May Day should be top as she only makes one mistake (not making sure Bond is dead when they push the car in the water) but it doesn’t turn out fatal like it does for the other two.
    Irma bunt. Ran piz gloria like a wardress and literally got away with murder.

Also wint and kidd who remained undetected until the final scene.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    doubleoego wrote:

Only because EON decided to ruin everything that happened in OHMSS with the abysmal DAF. But anyway...

For most competent I'd say...

Maybe Oddjob or even Grant. I think of Grant as a henchman (though he is pretty much the major threat to Bond) because he along with Klebb and Krontsteen are Blofeld's pawns. In that way he is on the lower rung when compared to Blofeld and his plans to get the Lektor from the Russians and sell it back at a high price.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I always liked Locque. He seemed genuinely sinister. He was generally pretty effective.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    doubleoego wrote:

Only because EON decided to ruin everything that happened in OHMSS with the abysmal DAF. But anyway...

Well, we all have opinions...
    Red Grant, without the shadow of a doubt.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote:

Well, we all have opinions...

I'm just saying that it was a shame to have the whole Blofeld/Irma Bunt killing Tracy revenge plot go out the window. I know that the woman playing Irma died not long after OHMSS and obviously couldn't appear, but that is no excuse to not have another actress fill in for her. They had a new Bond and Blofeld, so why not a new Irma? The jump from serious revenge to campiness in DAF is sad, and a real missed opportunity for a revenge flick before the revenge flick (LTK).
  • Xenia Onatopp. I really like the character. She had a sexual appetite for killing.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well, Bunt avoided the long arm of Jimmy Bond...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Dario is near the top.

• I go from start to finish, as in Dr No to present day, with names I think warrant a mention

Donald Grant
    Oddjob
    Fiona Volpe
    Jaws (The Spy who loved me)
    Chang
    Emile Leopold Locque
    Gobinda
    Necros
    Dario
    Xenia

that's about it, in that I found most, if not all, henchpeople in subsquent releases were poor and insipid. I miss the years past of decent adversaries for Bond to do battle with or light up the screen