Hugo Drax as a Space-Age Hitler in Earth's Holocaust in Moonraker?

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,816
What do we think of the view of Hugo Drax as a Space-Age Hitler in Moonraker (1979)?

He creates a Super Race from the cradle of the heavens, he has a clear psychotic God-complex, he is interested in Perfect Aryan Specimens, he wants a new Holocaust - ending all human life on Earth, his "munificence is boundless", he has palatial HQ like Hitler, he wants to commit mass murder using poison gas globes (the new Zyklon B the Nazis used on the Jews and others?), he has the latest in military space technology, like Hitler's rearming. He is a neo-Hitler, promising, in a rather fascistic way that "there will be law and order in the heavens". He talks of the dynasty under Drax that he himself has founded.

Interesting Nazi connection with Sir Hugo Drax of the novel. Christopher Wood has Bond wonder what side Drax had fought on in WWII.

Thoughts?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's no secret, but I've always like Moonraker and I think Drax's plot was pretty evil and close to Hitler in some ways. Had Moonraker cut away the silly moments like the Bondola, the Jaws and Dolly romance and the part of the PTS where Jaws flaps his arms into a circus tent. It could have been a nice serious thriller ahead of it's time in some ways.
  • Drax is essentially a space nazi, yes.

I think the space stuff in Moonraker was of it's time and I can live with it. They were just jumping on the bandwagon like Bond has always been doing since the 60s ended.

What I can't live with though, is like Murdock said, the stupid stuff like the circus tent, the Bondola and (especially) Jaws and Dolly.

When I watched TSWLM as a kid (thinking about it now it was only the 2nd Bond movie I'd ever seen), I loved the Jaws character, and I still do. He was really menacing and he was one of the great henchmen.

MR bought him back but they ruined him. They probably should've just killed him off in the PTS then kept Chang for the rest of the movie (although I like the idea of Drax replacing his henchman).

So yep, cut the stupid stuff and I'd really like Moonraker. I think up until Jaws meets Dolly it's a pretty good Bond film (with one or two dodgy moments).
    I liked how he was portrayed in 007 Legends. He's mainly the same, but his introduction speech is really nice.

"You've heard of Natural Selection Mister Bond? Survival of the Fittest, I'm sure Dr. Goodhead could explain. In either case Darwin was wrong...I've decided it's time to clean the slate and start over, ridding the world of pestilence, such as yourself...and Dr. Goodhead."

My favorite quote in the game.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,816
    Murdock wrote:
    I liked how he was portrayed in 007 Legends. He's mainly the same, but his introduction speech is really nice.

"You've heard of Natural Selection Mister Bond? Survival of the Fittest, I'm sure Dr. Goodhead could explain. In either case Darwin was wrong...I've decided it's time to clean the slate and start over, ridding the world of pestilence, such as yourself...and Dr. Goodhead."

As a non-Bond gamer, I have to say that I never knew that. Thanks for that great quote!

Dragonpol wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

As a non-Bond gamer, I have to say that I never knew that. thasnks for that great quote!

You're welcome. :)
    Yes, absolutely! I think that is the approach that they were taking with his character in the movie to begin with, which worked really well.
    i think that Drax in 007 Legends is much more likeable than The Moonraker film Drax
    he has a more suaveness and less short tempered.

thats probarly one of the only good things about 007 Legends
    I have to disagree as far as calling Drax a Nazi. An Eugenist, certainly. But as can be seen in the range of people he employs, and of his "breeding stock", he certainly covers all the races. So the racist element found at the core of nazi ideology can't be found in his ideals of a physically perfect human race.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Yes ! I think it is !

That's the best part of the film : the actual plot and stake of the mission.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Gerard wrote:
    I have to disagree as far as calling Drax a Nazi. An Eugenist, certainly. But as can be seen in the range of people he employs, and of his "breeding stock", he certainly covers all the races. So the racist element found at the core of nazi ideology can't be found in his ideals of a physically perfect human race.

Very good point. Also his plan is to kill everyone indiscriminately as well.

However he does certainly subscribe to the concept of the übermensch though which was the basis of Hitlers philosophy and which he started to put into practice with his early euthanasia programmes.

I think if old Adolf had had Drax's technology he would certainly have approved but would have only allowed Aryans into the space station so for me Drax isn't as evil as his super race comprises of all races and in his initial meeting with Bond he states 'it makes sense to seek out the best each nation has to offer.' In this respect it could be argued that he is the ultimate multiculturalist and merely wants to eradicate stupidity and ugliness and just populate the world with perfect human beings.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    @Gerard, @TheWizardOfIce : Yes, precisely.

The comparison only tends into the process he used to try make it work.
    Having just read the novel I can see why they felt it was unfilmable. I don't hold the movie in the low regard that some fans do. I think Drax is quite good and although as with too many of Rog's films the jokes are taken a bit too far, I think the Ken Adam production design and Barry score makes it pretty enjoyable.
    Getafix wrote:
    Having just read the novel I can see why they felt it was unfilmable. I don't hold the movie in the low regard that some fans do. I think Drax is quite good and although as with too many of Rog's films the jokes are taken a bit too far, I think the Ken Adam production design and Barry score makes it pretty enjoyable.

What do you think of the novel?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    actonsteve wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

What do you think of the novel?

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree and say that the MR novel is actually the best by Fleming.

• I don't think he said the book was bad, just unfilmable as it is set entirely in England and is a bit low key, though the finale is large scale. But during the course of the story, there's no sense it's going to pan out that way. It just doesn't follow the usual 'bumps' of a Bond screenplay, it's more a TV drama serial or Hitchcock thing.