Could there or should there ever be a black 007? (Controversial...LoL!)

2»

Comments

• mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    edited January 2013 Posts: 259
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    @thelordflashheart Thanks, and you do make a great point there. When people think James Bond, they think suave, British secret agent, they don't think white secret agent. His race doesn't define him like it does Shaft.

Agreed. Just an example... You remember the Justice League cartoon? They've had made a Black Green Lantern. From what i knew up, he was a white man. No one ever complained about that.

Jon Stewart (black) and Hal Jordan (white) are 2 different Green Lanterns, not one and the same. However, we can use Nick Fury as an example, he was a white guy in a comic book:

Nickfuryshield.jpg

David Hasselhoff played Fury in the 1998 film.

N_Fury.jpg

Then Nick Fury get played by Samuel L. Jackson:

Nick-fury-2.jpeg

The Ultimate Nick Fury, they used Sam Jackson's look for that comic series:

UltimateNickFury.jpg

I don't see anybody complaining about Nick Fury going from White to black. But for Bond, I don't know. How are we supposed to explain to the audience how Bond became Black that means rewriting James' parent history , Andrew Bond (Bond father) is now what, a British Nigerian or Jamaican and his mother, Monique Delacroix is now what a Swiss-born African whose parent immigrated to Switzerland from a french speaking African country (Mali, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Zaire) or Haiti:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_immigrants_to_Switzerland

Is that even plausible, and also if Bond turn black, that's going to stir up some race joke like one person would say "oh I'm sure a black Bond would really please the girl with his big "you know what'" and another person say "the Bond girl will love Bond's big...."

My take on this: I don't know.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Well said. This argument about accepting a black Bond if he is the best actor for the job assumes that there is not one white British actor alive who can play Bond.

Sure there will always be a white actor who could play Bond well. But if a black actor did a better job than a white actor in auditions, and showed he understood the character more and could do a better job, wouldn't you prefer the black actor to get the part?
    Right now, we have an actor who is probably closest to Fleming's creation since Dalton, (and only really Dalton), despite the blonde short hair, so this argument that the franchise has evolved far away from Fleming's original creation is total BS.

I know your a Fleming purist @jetsetwilly and I appreciate where you're coming from but I don't agree.

It's close to Fleming now, but in the Moore, Brosnan and for some of the Connery era it wasn't. So it has evolved away from the books in the past and it could do again in the future.

Also, Craig proved that you could play a close to Fleming Bond while looking fairly different (the short blonde hair and the fact that he was ripped, Fleming thought Connery was too buff), etc.

Would you rather have a white actor who played Bond that way, or a black actor who played Bond in a Dalts/Craig type, close to Fleming way?
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,279
    mdo007 wrote:
    Jon Stewart (black) and Hal Jordan (white) are 2 different Green Lanterns, not one and the same. However, we can use Nick Fury as an example, he was a white guy in a comic book:

I don't see anybody complaining about Nick Fury going from White to black. But for Bond, I don't know. How are we supposed to explain to the audience how Bond became Black that means rewriting James' parent history , Andrew Bond (Bond father) is now what, a British Nigerian or Jamaican and his mother, Monique Delacroix is now what a Swiss-born African whose parent immigrated to Switzerland from a french speaking African country (Mali, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Zaire) or Haiti:

My take on this: I don't know.
    I cannot believe any self-respecting Bond fan would want a black Bond. I find it bizzare for any Bond fan to actually desire this, or even contemplate it.

This is not a racist issue either. It's just basic common sense. The main character which Fleming wrote is white British who thinks the Empire still exists, with all the baggage that carries with it. Change the skin colour, and there will be different baggage which comes with the character.

The character of Bond has nothing remotely to do with Green Lantern or any other DC comic BS. It is completely irrelevant to the debate.

Sure there will always be a white actor who could play Bond well. But if a black actor did a better job than a white actor in auditions, and showed he understood the character more and could do a better job, wouldn't you prefer the black actor to get the part?
    Absolute 100% no!

I know your a Fleming purist @jetsetwilly and I appreciate where you're coming from but I don't agree.

It's close to Fleming now, but in the Moore, Brosnan and for some of the Connery era it wasn't. So it has evolved away from the books in the past and it could do again in the future.
    With Moore and Brozza you still had the basic essentials of the traditionalist, Imperialist, Empire-waving, upper-class British snobby character which is essentially what Bond is. That has never remotely changed, throughout 50 years!
    Also, Craig proved that you could play a close to Fleming Bond while looking fairly different (the short blonde hair and the fact that he was ripped, Fleming thought Connery was too buff), etc.

Craig still passes for an upper-class British Imperialist stuck in the past, despite the blonde hair.
    Would you rather have a white actor who played Bond that way, or a black actor who played Bond in a Dalts/Craig type, close to Fleming way?

A black actor playing a tough guy in a seious way is great in an action movie. I'm all for it, but suddenly call him James Bond, then this won't be Fleming's character anymore.

why not give the world another 00 agent ,remember the scene in Thunderball when bond sits down with fellow agents .Idris Elba could play the part of Bond ,i believe hes played a norse god . the problem lies in diehard james bond fans not every fan does poll in magazines. remember daniel craig hes blond,hes not good looking,hes to small,now hes excellent? also did not Gerard Butler say all the same thing
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Absolute 100% no!

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one then. Although I think even if you're dead set against the idea, boycotting the franchise if it happens a bit extreme (saying that though I'd do the same if Bond became a woman).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:

Sorry boys and girls.
    Please coninue in the existing thread...if you have to. I feel this is ground we've walked back and forth before. And always come up with the same answer.
This discussion has been closed.