What Henry Cavill looked like when he auditioned for Bond in 2005.

2»

Comments

NicNac wrote:
    I think it depends. There isn't the stigma any more of type casting. And the are so many franchise characters around that it's hard to find someone who hasn't been in a series.

Harrison Ford went from Han Solo to Indiana Jones, Mel Gibson went from Mad Max to Lethal Weapon, maybe Cavill can be Superman and Bond. I guess it depends on how he does as the man of steel.
    I agree. There's plenty more examples; Robert Downey Jr is both Sherlock Holmes and Iron Man; Chris Pine is Captain Kirk and as well as Jack Ryan; Jeremy Renner is in both The Mission Impossible, The Bourne Franchise and The Marvel Franchise; Jennifer Lawrence is in both The Hunger Games and The X-Men Franchise; Ian McKellen is in both The X-Men and The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit Franchise. I don't think it bothers Hollywood anymore so long as they feel the actor is right for the character.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote:
    Those aren't really good comparisons.

Ford was Han Solo but he didn't go on to take on the role of Indy from a successor. These are all original characters where the actors you mentioned are't the successors to any one.
    True but then again, Roger took the role after Connery despite being well known as The Saint.

The saint was a TV show. Moore wasn't a movie star.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondsum wrote:
    NicNac wrote:
    I think it depends. There isn't the stigma any more of type casting. And the are so many franchise characters around that it's hard to find someone who hasn't been in a series.

Harrison Ford went from Han Solo to Indiana Jones, Mel Gibson went from Mad Max to Lethal Weapon, maybe Cavill can be Superman and Bond. I guess it depends on how he does as the man of steel.
    I agree. There's plenty more examples; Robert Downey Jr is both Sherlock Holmes and Iron Man; Chris Pine is Captain Kirk and as well as Jack Ryan; Jeremy Renner is in both The Mission Impossible, The Bourne Franchise and The Marvel Franchise; Jennifer Lawrence is in both The Hunger Games and The X-Men Franchise; Ian McKellen is in both The X-Men and The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit Franchise. I don't think it bothers Hollywood anymore so long as they feel the actor is right for the character.

Fair enough points but the difference is none of the characters you've mentioned are as big or as culturally iconic as James Bond or Superman. These 2 characters are the pinnacle of iconography with such a rich and established history. It's also worth noting that 6 cinematic actors have played Bond and come next summer 3 cinematic actors would have played Superman. Both characters are the also the most iconic characters of their respective genres and both characters have the longest cinematic history if their respective genres. I just don't see a single actor playing both roles.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,333
    There's always a first, @doubleoego. I think when it comes down to it today's moviegoers are a lot less fussy than they were 40 to 50 years ago and don't mind seeing actors crossover into other franchises, especially as the lead. I certainly don't have a problem with it if the actor is suitable and looks the part. After all when I go to see an Iron Man movie I'm not going in expecting Sherlock Holmes - I can separate the two even though they are played by the same man.

Also, I don't agree with your dismissal of Roger Moore as The Saint. Television in the 60's attracted far bigger audiences than cinema did and everyone knew Roger Moore as Simon Templar. Whether he was a movie star or not is insignificant, the point is he was universally known as The Saint before he became James Bond. If you weren't around at that time then you won't understand the significance, but to me Roger Moore was Simon Templar and he really had to win me and a lot of other people over as the new Bond back in 73. If anything, it proves it can be done.

Anyway, I think Superman is the tougher acting job as there's only ever been one actor that has defined the role, and even he outstayed his welcome with Superman IV.
    Not sure he's right to be honest for 007. Looks perfcectly cast as the Man of Steel though. Still prefer Tom Hardy as Bond of the future.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 388
    doubleoego wrote:
    Fair enough points but the difference is none of the characters you've mentioned are as big or as culturally iconic as James Bond or Superman. These 2 characters are the pinnacle of iconography with such a rich and established history. It's also worth noting that 6 cinematic actors have played Bond and come next summer 3 cinematic actors would have played Superman. Both characters are the also the most iconic characters of their respective genres and both characters have the longest cinematic history if their respective genres. I just don't see a single actor playing both roles.

With respect to your first point, Sherlock Holmes is probably more iconic than Bond and Superman combined (he's also been
    played by dozens of actors, is certainly the most iconic character in his genre and his cinematic history goes back to 1900!)

With respect to your first point, Sherlock Holmes is probably more iconic than Bond and Superman combined (he's also been
    played by dozens of actors, is certainly the most iconic character in his genre and his cinematic history goes back to 1900!)

more iconic in what way? as cinematic experiences,literature experiences or cultural experiences? because Sherlock holmes as cinematic experiences is not as big as James Bond or Superman, very little people wants to be Sherlock Holmes, in the other hand many were much inspired to become James Bond or Superman.
    bondsum wrote:
    There's always a first, @doubleoego. I think when it comes down to it today's moviegoers are a lot less fussy than they were 40 to 50 years ago and don't mind seeing actors crossover into other franchises, especially as the lead. I certainly don't have a problem with it if the actor is suitable and looks the part. After all when I go to see an Iron Man movie I'm not going in expecting Sherlock Holmes - I can separate the two even though they are played by the same man.

There's always a first i agree, Let see how EON would make the decisions when casting the next Bond, but based on their historical decisions they never cast an actor that already big in Cinema (not TV) if i'm not mistakenly remember Cubby or Harry want an actor who is not already bigger than the character (James Bond)

• edited December 2012 Posts: 2,598
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Not sure he's right to be honest for 007. Looks perfcectly cast as the Man of Steel though. Still prefer Tom Hardy as Bond of the future.

I think Cavill has a good look for Bond - chiselled features, dark hair, blue eyes. Tom Hardy, while a good actor is too much on the pretty side like Brosnan was in GE. Infact, at the moment, more so than Brosnan at this stage. Maybe Hardy will lose this with age but then he might be too old by this time anyway. He has femine lips like Brosnan too. Anyway, seeing they cast Brosnan as Bond it might mean that they would still be keen on casting Hardy.

I'd have no problem seeing Cavill transfer from Superman to Bond. I think those who said people in general don't have a problem seeing an actor leave one franchise for another are right. I can still see some of the general cinema going audience having a problem with it though. In terms of Eon, I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised it they were still put off by the fact that Cavill played the man of steel but I don't know. It might depend on how many films he has done too. The fact that Moore played The Saint is worth considering but it isn't as big a role as Superman.

I'd still like to see Christian Bale as Bond.

• Henry Cavill would have made a good James Bond, but he was just way too young.
    I wonder what will happen in 4 or 5 years time when Craig steps down. In 5 years time he'll be 34 or 35. A very good age to begin playing Bond. He was only around 22 when he did the Bond audition. Way too young. He looked older than 22 though.
  • Craig will be 35 years old in 4 or 5 years time ? He's reversing with age then

Daniel Craig is about 44 years old now, unless I'm too tired and I misread something
    Yeah, Craig's getting younger so this is good for the franchise.

No, the pronoun refers to Cavill. Maybe I should have been more specific.